PDA

View Full Version : Tweaking the performance?

Zephik
12-24-2006, 05:00 AM
This is video game related, so I'm going to guess it goes in this category. If this thread belongs somewhere else, then I'm sorry. I am so out of it anymore, you'll just have to bare with me until I can get a grip.

I am using an older computer until I can get a new heatsink for my main computer. The problem with that is, when I play WarRock on this computer, its a bit slow and I die ALOT because its so sputtery. The only difference other than the model of the computers is that in my main system I have 1.5GB of RAM and a 2.8 P4 processor. In this system I have 512MB and a 2.4 P4 processor. Any advice on how to utilize things to get smoother gameplay? Maybe something to do with Task Manager or some other program to utilize the processor and ram? Maybe a video driver update? Anything?

-SnowFire

simon275
12-24-2006, 05:23 AM
Computer

Degfragment your disc.

Update your drivers

You could always consider overclocking your CPU and GPU but you need to make sure you have good cooling.

In the task manager slash and burn processes you dont need.

Also open up the msconfig

by going start > run and type msconfig then go the startup tab and deselect startup items you don't need like quicktime.

Video Card

If you have a nvidia card there is something you can do

First download this firmware unlocker.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815

Then open up the settings for your graphics card and go to the tab Performance and Quality Settings and then expand it and click on additional direct 3d settings and change the number of frames to render added to zero.

Game

Also have a look for 3d party patches fro the game which reoptimize the game for slow systems. There are ones out there for some games.

Turn off all visual effects in the game like AA and AF.

Hope this helps