PDA

View Full Version : Its very red...

pointedsirforky
05-29-2005, 02:25 AM
First time playing with bondo, that was fun.
Rattle can gradients, lots of red, orange and yellow.

Internals are pathetic, really. k6 300, 8.4gig hdd, 48x cd, 160 meg EDO.
<edit> and a rage128 16m video card. wheee.... >_<

say something encouraging, please. -_-

if not, no worries, it was just something to do, something to learn with. :)

http://caddish.ath.cx/red/001.jpg
http://caddish.ath.cx/red/002.jpg
http://caddish.ath.cx/red/003.jpg

oh, the kitty is zoe. 6 month old furball from hell.

AKA_RA
05-29-2005, 02:42 AM
nice paint job. dont worry about internals, ive modded some pretty crappy HPs as a way to prepare for bigger and better things. it would be interesting to see what this case looked like before modding it.

pointedsirforky
05-29-2005, 03:05 AM
oy, theres a picture I didnt take.. I'll take a look through my photos, see if its in the background of anything.

what you see there, minus paint, with 4 5 1/4 bays, sharp edges, no fanhole at the bottom. typical later model AT case. moderately decent steel construction, all screws, no rivets. "air vents" in the form of horizontal cut ins on the bottom portion of the case.

Thanks, though. Next time I might actually sketch out some plans or something. What you see is the product of about 2 days of work including drying/curing time.

its no doom3, but, then again, I'm no Crimson.

Xato
05-29-2005, 05:34 AM
the gradient on the front is done very nicely... though the one on the sides seems a but stepped...
Where did u use the bondo btw?

Frakk
05-29-2005, 10:59 AM
good job for the first time! doing smaller "practice projects" like this leads into bigger and better things. i hope you dont stop and surprise us with some more of these. and i love the kitty too:D

Dash20
05-30-2005, 03:17 AM
Lol yeah, Bondo is VERY fun. I've learned that on my past two projects, which I'll get to posting eventually. Great work, by the way! I didn't think spray paint can gradients were possible (or easily done), but it seems that Paul isn't the only one to prove me wrong. Well done. ;)

As for the internals, don't worry about it... I was going to mod a 486 until I realized it's completely useless to me, and my mods tend to get expensive. :D

Farnell
06-11-2005, 03:56 AM
Nice gradient, but it seems like you have a
really thick coat of paint.

btw: first post fowks!

pointedsirforky
06-11-2005, 02:08 PM
Two coats of primer, sanded between, then a base coat of red. Sanded
then orange base for the gradient, sanded, then yellow. sanded, then a clear coat.

The paint was fairly thin, the clear coat was a new product I wanted to try out. I wont be using it again, it didnt finish as nicely as I wanted.

biggest issue re: bondo - I didnt have finishing putty, so, there are little faults with the finish on the front of the case.

Meh. The new owner of the case is happy with it, and I'm looking for another machine to try to perfect my techniques on.

Maybe I'll get an airbrush one of these years. -_-

Sacrafice
06-28-2005, 05:21 PM
to me this looks like crap, sorry to put it blintly, you did do a good fade job tho, but the colors are just nasty looking.

Malatory
06-28-2005, 07:38 PM
looks like the case I 1st started painting on. you cant see where you used bondo (at least in the pics) so thats a good thing.

nice paint job, even if the colors are not to everyones taste. ideas to try .. doing the gradient from one piece to the next ... that way when you put the front cover on it doesnt go from red to orange/yellow

pointedsirforky
06-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Sacrafice - Meh. Theres a reason I got rid of it. :) Those were the only colors I had on hand at the time.

Malatory - thanks. bondo was a great deal of fun to work with, but, not so fun to make invisible.

Hopefully the next case I work on wont end up quite so tacky.

Xato
06-28-2005, 10:32 PM
I think the paint job was done very well for a first attemp at it. A little more insight would have helped ofcourse :D but all's well that ends well.