PDA

View Full Version : deionized water question

Dudeman
05-29-2005, 01:51 PM
ok so i got a danger den water cooling system and i wanna hook it up,but i need deionized water,but before i go and purchase it i had a question. is there a difference between distilled water and deionized water or is distilled water deionized?help i wanna get this done ASAP, any help is greatly appreciated.thnx.

Rachel
05-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Distilled water is way better. Deionized water is more expensive and hard to find. It has had most of the dissolved minerals and solids removed by removing ions. It is known to be corrosive because the water will want back ions to remain at equilibrium. Because of that it will strip away ions from wetted metels and your parts will slowly start to corrode. Distilled water has been boiled to remove impurities. It's cheap and you can buy it at the grocery store. It is the most ideal water to use in your system.

Dudeman
05-29-2005, 02:40 PM
thanks,i had read on a chemistry website that said that distilled also wont want to conduct just like deionized does.but i wanted to make sure,bc i dont want my comp to be dead after all this work and money ive put in it thus far.

Frakk
05-29-2005, 03:17 PM
yeah go with destilled water and maybe some anti-corrosion additives. if i were you, i would put the loop together and test it for a day to see if anything leaks. if everything is good, put it in the machine.

Rachel
05-29-2005, 11:25 PM
I would definatly want to use some sort of coolant with the distilled water. Do you have any?

Xato
05-29-2005, 11:50 PM
U can buy all in one mixes to put into your water cooling systems... Which act as an anti-freeze, anti-corrosive, and anti-bacterial agent.
This being an example
http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod2131.htm

Dudeman
05-30-2005, 12:48 AM
the kit i bought came with zerex super coolant,im gonna get started now,so ill let you guys know how it goes tomorrow after its done leak testing.thanks for all the help.

Frakk
05-30-2005, 03:06 PM
no probs, im very glad you asked before ruining everything :) let us know how u made out

Dudeman
05-30-2005, 04:20 PM
well im done now,after pulling an all nighter. leak tested it and im glad i did bc i had water all over the place.i really dont have enough room in my case so i had to kinda ghetto rid it all up,but its workin and thats all that really matters i guess.

Frakk
05-30-2005, 04:37 PM
which kit do you have? read all the instructions and make sure you clamped the hose on tight.

cygnus_x_1
05-30-2005, 08:06 PM
leak testing is a pain, but well worth it...glad to see you got it up and running. post some pics, we need pics... :D

MrSlacker
05-30-2005, 08:08 PM
its better that it leaked in testing and not when you power up your comp.

MisterChief
05-30-2005, 08:21 PM
its better that it leaked in testing and not when you power up your comp.

Amen. Having water coursing through what may be thousands of dollars worth of hardware can be unnerving.

cygnus_x_1
05-30-2005, 08:23 PM
wait till you move on to pelt cooling...the fun task of condensation proofing EVERYTHING then keeping yoru fingers crossed during teh summer...

man, i dont miss that...

Dudeman
05-31-2005, 03:21 PM
ill try and get some pics up soon,whats pelt cooling ive never heard of that.and im still a little unnerved from time to time with my comp,bc if spent about 1500 dollars on it thus far and its far from done,but im prolly gonna upgrade the harddrive and give it a break and focus on my other passion,cars. :D

AKA_RA
05-31-2005, 06:10 PM
ugh...pelt cooling is one thing i hope i never have to resort to. seems too messy and too risky. ill stick to water and air.

cygnus_x_1
05-31-2005, 10:04 PM
pelt cooling is like watercooling on steroids. basically the same setup as water except on the botom of the blocks a peltier is sandwiched between another copper cold plate. the peltier is powered by a seperate psu. one side of the pelt gets extremely hot (the side against the waterblock) and the other side gets extremely cold (the side against the coldplate that is cooling the chip). while you achieve pretty good cooling (average around 2 - 20 degrees celcius) the preperation and maintainence is a pain in the ass. the below ambient temps that the pelts put out produce condensation so everything that the surrounding the pelt must be condensation proofed. that entails covering the socket with di-electric grease, and building an enclosure out of closed cell foam. i did a how-to on pelt cooling on my old site. it was tons of fun, but like i said a pain to maintain.

im a big car guy too...was a die hard domestic big power guy when i was younger, now im a drift freak and on my fifth 240sx...

Xato
06-01-2005, 05:15 AM
Yeh pelt cooling can get some awesome results...
and you dont need a separate PSU for it... u can get ones chunky enough to run it and the comp nowadays... As they can draw 80W 180W or more... depending on the selection...
Overclockers recommend ones of 160W + or there's no real point. As they can melt your CPU die to the board.