PDA

View Full Version : Nibber

butvinjd
12-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Nibber or Nibbler, either or. I got one and I haven't used it yet, but I have been told that they are great for cutting aluminum or thin steel. Anyone used one before?
http://www.directron.com/nibbletool.html

Airbozo
12-28-2006, 01:04 PM
I have used one before and they work really well. Some filing is necessary to get rid of the rough edge it leaves behind.

butvinjd
12-28-2006, 01:39 PM
It requires a starting point, drill hole works fine. If it works how its supposed to, a rather small drill hole would be ok, as the fitting that you cut with is pretty tiny.

I will update if I end up using it.

nil8
12-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Nibblers are easy, but slow and tedious. If you're ok with removing a small bit of thin metal at a time, go for it. Great for finish or small work.
Otherwise use something larger.

Cevinzol
12-29-2006, 03:52 AM
If you are cutting a window for example Then you will be at it for a long time. I would recomend a cheap electric jigsaw, some oil and a few fine toothed blades.

butvinjd
12-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Do the teeth on the blade have to be a special kind, or can I use just a normal saw blade that would cut through wood? I remember hearing awhile ago that you should get a special blade for cutting metal/aluminum.

Airbozo
12-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Do the teeth on the blade have to be a special kind, or can I use just a normal saw blade that would cut through wood? I remember hearing awhile ago that you should get a special blade for cutting metal/aluminum.

Yes there are special blades for cutting metal. They have _many_ fine teeth.

crazybillybob
01-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Jigsaw blade package tell you what there good for IE thin wood, Thick wood (1/2"+), Plastic, Metal, Or thick Metal. The Metal blades have many more teeth spaced closer together that allows it to cut smoothly and quickly. Even if you have a cheap Jigsaw spend the extra few bucks and get the good Blades. I recommend Bosh, they have a multi pack has like 5 blades of 3 diffrent types (thick wood, thin metal or wood, and thicker metal). I've used the same thick metal blade to cut a bunch of sheet steel and Aluminum, with no issues. you really don't need oil unless your cutting Aluminum 1/4" or thicker or steel 1/8" or thicker. If your cutting a window out of your case and you don't want to mess up the finish cover the whole side of the case with 2 layers of masking tape (I use the 3" wide stuff for this) It keep the metal plate (called the shoe) of the Jigsaw from riding on the surface to keep from scuffing it up, also allows you to lay out your window so you can see the lines (black marker lines are hard to see on black paint or anodizing).

The nibbler is a great tool if your using it to get into places that you can't get your jigsaw to fit(I haven't found any place like that...) , or to make small Square holes. But you'll have a sore forearm if you try and cutout a window of any size with it!

Good Luck!
CrazyBillyBob

butvinjd
01-08-2007, 10:51 AM
I used the nibbler to cut out mesh, and I think that's the most I will end up using it for. Picked up a nice orbital jigsaw and I will get some bosh blades as recommended. There is no way I'd ever cut a window with the Nibbler now that I have used it. 8)

Thanks for the masking tape tip, I will be sure to do that.