PDA

View Full Version : Windows Installer

Mitternacht
01-03-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm having severe problems with a computer at work. When downloading Service Pack 12 for the program Xactimate, it gave me errors about a missing file and wouldn't update. Tried the repair utility on the programs installation disc and it didn't work. So I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it. When setting it up, it would tell me it was an illegal version and stops installation. I tried a system restore and no luck. Then out of nowhere, Windows Installer is missing! Now, I can't even try to install Xactimate again. Even worse, 3.1 Installer won't even install because it says that there's no need to install it. YES there's a need to install it; I need it, dammit! :mad: Now I'm down to two options:

Keep troubleshooting
Upgrade Installation of XP Pro SP2 to correct the system and registry.

Without Windows installer I can't install anything. Please guys, any suggestions wouldbe greatly appreciated. This computer is the central point for our estimating software., and downtime is not an option.

SgtM
01-03-2007, 05:18 PM
What about a system restore? Was there was set before you tried installing the software that hosed the system? If this isn't an option, what about a service install (after hours) of WinXP?

Mitternacht
01-03-2007, 05:33 PM
I was just trying troubleshooting stuff within XP. I must of done System Restore about 20 times. Later on, I'm gonna do System Recovery. And if that doesn't work, Upgrade Install of XP, so the system files and registry are restored.

SgtM
01-03-2007, 05:46 PM
What version of windows is on there right now? SP2 or SP1? If you need SP2, you can download it directly from MS at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Alternatively, if you had to install SP2 because you have an SP1 disk, you can remove it from add/remove programs. Then it's just a matter of reinstalling it.

Have you tried manually starting the Windows Installer service from services.msc?

Here's a link that talks a little about windows installer issues

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175

Hopefully some of this will help you.

Mitternacht
01-03-2007, 09:58 PM
What version of windows is on there right now? SP2 or SP1? If you need SP2, you can download it directly from MS at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Alternatively, if you had to install SP2 because you have an SP1 disk, you can remove it from add/remove programs. Then it's just a matter of reinstalling it.

Have you tried manually starting the Windows Installer service from services.msc?

Here's a link that talks a little about windows installer issues

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175

Hopefully some of this will help you.

Holy hell. Thanks so much. I'll try the stuff tomorrow.

SgtM
01-03-2007, 11:43 PM
NP. I hope this helps you out. Where are you located in PA? I don't live far from the PA/OH state line. I have family in Penfield and Clearfield, and friends in Harrisburg.

DaveW
01-04-2007, 08:56 AM
+ Rep for sgtm.

-Dave

Mitternacht
01-04-2007, 11:31 AM
NP. I hope this helps you out. Where are you located in PA? I don't live far from the PA/OH state line. I have family in Penfield and Clearfield, and friends in Harrisburg.

Pittsburgh.

In fact, before I left, Brian told me he'd take a shot at it. And if he did manage to fix it, I'll ask about what he did and report back.

SgtM
01-04-2007, 12:06 PM
You're only about an hour away from me. I live in Niles, OH.. just outside of Youngstown. Sounds cool that someone was gonna look at if for you. Waiting to hear how it turned out.

Mitternacht
01-04-2007, 12:12 PM
K, just got done eating lunch. fyi, I leave school 1/4 to 11, and goto work and eat lunch there. Well, Brian is a BEAST when it comes to registry. He told me there were certain registry keys assigned the wrong value. Took him 4 hours this morning, but he got it.

Thanks for the help sgtm. I'd give you rep, but I already have; can't remember for what though. So I have to rep someone else before I can give you your rep.

SgtM
01-04-2007, 12:43 PM
K, just got done eating lunch. fyi, I leave school 1/4 to 11, and goto work and eat lunch there. Well, Brian is a BEAST when it comes to registry. He told me there were certain registry keys assigned the wrong value. Took him 4 hours this morning, but he got it.

Thanks for the help sgtm. I'd give you rep, but I already have; can't remember for what though. So I have to rep someone else before I can give you your rep.

no worries man. It's all good. I'm glad he got it going. System restores can be a bitch. I wish I knew my way around the registry like that.

Mitternacht
01-04-2007, 12:49 PM
The kinda good thing is, that usually it is the registry that goes wrong around here; not the system files or software.