PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on a modular SFF HTPC?

eTRP
05-31-2005, 01:14 AM
I have decided to build a secondary computer for entertainment use only, i.e., gaming, home theater, etc. as small as possible.

I am contemplating to make it modular, so i think i need many ports for firewire, usb and sata, for ease of transport and setup, just like a laptop, but upgradeable, more powerful components and way cheaper.

So basically the main module will only house the motherboard, processor, system ram, videocard, and sata passthrough external card, possibly a PCI soundcard and a floppy drive inside a modded/custom built case made of aluminum+fibreglass.

The hard drives probably configured RAID0 or 5, in another module, as well as the optical drives, yet in another module with either a firewire or sata interface.

Also considering a cheaper bluetooth capable keyboard since RF and IR is not so reliable when it exceeds a meter or so.

What are the most cost efficient and possible components to consider?

ZeD
06-01-2005, 03:25 PM
When you say modular, do you mean youd have to use the drives and soem other parts from your main machine when you want to use the mini?

Malatory
06-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Some of the things you are looking at make it hard to keep cheap.
Games : Most machines design for gaming tend to be near the high end.
Raid is typicla used for drives that are not going to be moved around

Now HTPC setup..

Mini ATX with Mpeg coding. PVR 250 (TV turner card) 512 Megs of Ram.
wireless network card (So you can move movies on and off the machine with out using a USB or other Type Drive.

MythTV works playing movies and MP3's under linux to bring the cost of the OS two $.oo and it also works with the PVR 250 ( Dont get the USB version).

eTRP
06-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Uhm, I'm going on a stretch here, but i was inspired by the MacMini, and no, I won't buy a Mac yet, since I'm working with MS WinXP.
So it should resemble something like a MacMini.
Thanks for the sound suggestions!
:)

Malatory
06-05-2005, 03:58 PM
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/01q2/cappuccino/cappuccino-1.html

Problem is .. I think they went out of bussiness

you would gave better luck wuththe HUSH system or something else..http://www.logicsupply.com/?referrer=googleAd

then I am sure you also know about shuttle systems. That are more for the gaming side of things because you can place a high end video card it one.

ZeD
06-05-2005, 09:16 PM
why are those little ass cases so expensive, I was contemplating trying to get my hands on a mac mini and dropping a in an epia motherboard. oh well I have like 3 SFF machines already no need for another