PDA

View Full Version : Can I mod a gameboy color

paranoya
05-31-2005, 07:23 AM
is it possible to mod a game boy color to put a backlight or mod the inside or make it possible to play advance game's on it if there is can you pls help

temmink
05-31-2005, 11:47 AM
Backlight:
Possible, but it would take some serious tinkering, getting even light distribution from led's (which you would have to use because of the size of the case) would be very difficult because the gameboy colour was already minimized and there is very little empty space in the case so they would be in poor positions. Also using the internal power may cause you problems, like killing your gameboy. Basically no, however you could mod on one of those 'front lights' that they sell.
Advance games on a Colour Gameboy:
Long Answer: not unless you remove all the hardware from a gameboy advance and put it in a gameboy colour chassis (and it wouldn't fit).
Short answer: No.

Hope that helps.

*edit: I wrote Gamboy like five times. I'm an idiot*

paranoya
05-31-2005, 12:26 PM
thanks so its almost impossible to do it oke Im gonna try any way im gonna build a 4 led on each side panel and then stickit on the back off the gameboy so its external and it will have its own on off button I think I can do it that way but thanks I will be posting pics

superrobot92
05-31-2005, 05:17 PM
couldn't you just put the technology from the gbasp into a giant original gameboy?

Xato
06-01-2005, 01:51 AM
That would be cool actually...
An old school flava to new tech.

pointedsirforky
06-13-2005, 09:57 PM
I agree, it would do some pretty serious old school rockin', but, what of the shoulder buttons?

Adding buttons to the sides could work, but, any which way I think about it.. it'd probably be pretty awkward. Thankfully they arent hugely important with.. well, some games anyhow.

But, hey, you could always stash a game or two in the battery compartment as the SP as its own rechargable built in. :)

Cymae
06-14-2005, 12:56 AM
and if you break it, you can always use it for spare parts XD

pointedsirforky
06-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Now that you've got me thinking about it, there are a few further problems.

You'd have to fabricate a new faceplate for the screen as the GBA one is a tid bigger and certainly wider. I'm sure it wouldnt be a problem for someone out there, but, I couldnt do it.

Though, I have worked out a few ideas for the shoulder buttons. Havent really got any answers for the game cart. yet, I still not sure how viable the original game slot is.

then again, I dont have a gameboy sitting around, so, its a smidge harder. :)

Someone, please, do this mod. I think it'll be great, and, I'll help out designing it, etc, if need be.

Silenti_etc
06-22-2005, 02:36 AM
What about putting the shoulder buttons on the back. Just grab the gameboy 'classic' (look for this product on store shelves in the future! haha, j/k) like you were going to play it. Notice where your index fingers (the ones that press those shoulder buttons on the GBA SP) and BAM! Thats where you need to put the buttons. ERGONOMICS WATSON!

PP Mguire
06-22-2005, 04:17 PM
And the games shouldnt be a problem since they are all the same size wide. I guess the ONLY problem youd have is cable length, cause the cables are alot shorter in the GBASP.

pointedsirforky
06-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Nothing that couldnt be re-routed, I'm sure. Thankfully we're not talking about a plain GBA here... That wouldnt be.. well, possible, exactly. the PCB is a bit too wide.

But, alas, all of this is hypothetical. I havent got an old gameboy sitting around, and, I'd probably get my fingers cut off while I was sleeping for destroying the other half's GBAsp, if it worked out or not.