PDA

View Full Version : Stock Dell Dimension Case Modding Tips!?!

Nathan0490
05-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey I just upgraded my Dimension 8300 Dell, and wanna add some visual flair to the case too. Wondering if anyone has done this before? if so pics? tips? ideas? please. Thanks in advance for any help.

Nathan0490
-Professional Gamer- :-P

temmink
05-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Photo of the case would be nice.

Nathan0490
05-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Here is manufacturer pic basically the same as mine except mine has 2 cd drives.

http://it.asia1.com.sg/assets/images/Dell_Dimension_8300.jpg http://img.dell.com/images/global/products/dimen/8300_chassis_back_314.jpg

Nathan0490
05-31-2005, 12:56 PM
This is one of my Fav cases so far...
http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-156-173-18.JPG

RAIDMAX SAMURAI ATX-901WBP Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811156173
$133.50 at newegg.

public_eyesore
05-31-2005, 04:05 PM
painting and cutting a case window is always a nice starting idea.

edit: dont get technical on me :D

Nathan0490
05-31-2005, 04:26 PM
cse window?

MrSlacker
05-31-2005, 04:37 PM
im gonna puke at that case!!

yeah you can cut out that DELL logo on the side and make a window. also paint it.

R/C Pilot
05-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Here's a list to start with.
1. Cut a side window, backlight it and hide any cables if needed.
2. Light behind the usb cover on the front.
3. Change the Dell circle in the front to something else, anything else please.
4. Consider painting the case.
5. Possibly etch the window with an interesting design.

AKA_RA
05-31-2005, 07:47 PM
you could prolly get at least two 80mm fans installed in the back of that case, maybe one in the front, depending on how the hard drive is mounted. possibly one on the top, if theres room between the powersupply and the cdrom, but i doubt it. then all you need to do is slice and dice your side panel apart to add a nice window, i suggest investing in a dremel if you dont own one already.

MisterChief
05-31-2005, 09:06 PM
See that Dell circle sticking ot there? Grab a jigsaw and use that as a guide to rip that thing outa there. Then install a window, some fans, cold cathodes, and there you go.

Nathan0490
05-31-2005, 09:12 PM
GREAT IDEAS! Im excited, one thing where can I order like a clear see through circular windows to replace the plastic dell ones. Love the idea of putting bright neon lights around the windows and possible a fan in each window. Very awesome, great customization without getting a new case. Keep these great tips coming and plz tell me where I can order custom windows to replace these.

Thank you.

EDIT: Also what kind of neon cathode light is best to get, UV OR REGULAR? How Many? what Brand? Thanks...

Zeus
05-31-2005, 10:30 PM
you can get clear plastic sheets at your local hardware store. Then just cut it to size

AKA_RA
05-31-2005, 11:03 PM
i suggest ordering "Ultra" brand cathodes from a site like xoxide.com. theyre a little more expensive, but they also wont blow up on you like some cheaper ones might. as for UV or regular, thats upto you. you can find them in UV, red, green, blue, white, yellow, etc. they often times come with dual cathodes, so that should be all you need to light up the inside of your case.

Edit: i see the blue ones are on sale ;)

Nathan0490
05-31-2005, 11:54 PM
hmm making them myself sounds like a difficult task plus how do they stay in i think these dell ones have little grooves that hold them in. Im gonna open case tommorow to confirm on this, thanks for tip on neon u think 2 Dual Cathodes would be good? or more? I want Super bright light up the whole area bright. Thanks again guys your awesome, Im a newb at this sort of stuff.

LINK TO THE ULTRA DUEL CATHODE BLUE NEON: http://xoxide.com/ultra-blue-dual-cc.html

AKA_RA
06-01-2005, 12:13 AM
honestly, its upto you how many you put in there, but i wouldnt recommend more than 2 dual cathode kits, thats four 12 inch cathodes, i personally use a 12 inch and a 4 inch and some led fans to top it all off. since you need fans anyways, why not stick with one set of dual cathodes, and just get a few light up fans for the rear of the case and whatever blowholes you end up creating.

Nathan0490
06-01-2005, 01:20 AM
Well it is a dell so I dont really know with fans dont they have to have a hole for them to be there for em to be effective? I have 1 Fan in my PSU, and one under it. I can only replace the fan thats not in the psu right? or can i replace that one with a lcd one too? thx

Xato
06-01-2005, 01:35 AM
lol... an LCD fan...
LCD = liquid crystal display...
LED = Light emitting diode... <- what u meant :D

AKA_RA
06-01-2005, 02:56 AM
hmmm...lcd fan would be pretty nifty though

Xato
06-01-2005, 03:17 AM
Be hard to follow what it says though... with the fans spinning and all

temmink
06-01-2005, 05:51 AM
with fans dont they have to have a hole for them to be there for em to be effective?

lol, well they are designed to blow air, so perhaps being mounted against a peice of solid metal may impead their effectiveness.

Perhaps before we get too carried away with idea's we should find out a few things.

1. When you say mod, do you mean installing a ccl with double-sided tape or do you mean radically modifying your case's design?
2. If the latter, are you comfortable using power tools, just as important, are you comfortable using power tools on your computer case?
3. If the latter, what kind of changes do you want to make? Do you want to simply cut a nice neat window, install some basic cooling and lighting mods and employ some wire management or do you intend to build a themed, fully customised case, maintaining only the chassis frame of your current box?

These are things you should think about first, before getting carried away.
What is your goal, what is your skill level, what resources do you have, how can you acheive your goal?

You may find it easier to just buy that pre-modded case you like and install your computer in that.

Malatory
06-01-2005, 11:49 AM
its a dell get 2 sticks of TNT and place them inside of the case, Light and run away.

then start with what ever lives.
[/SARSCIM OFF]

I so would start with ripping the LOGO's off and find a trash can that they will fit in.
then see about replacing the open holes with a window.

Xato
06-02-2005, 02:00 AM
Yeh if you want to make a nice custom case, get rid of any DELL logo to start with... its almost blasphemous to have them on a case you've modded.

wretched73
06-02-2005, 08:12 PM
just make sure when u do cut out a hole in the case u wach out for the inner layer of metal

MisterChief
06-02-2005, 08:32 PM
get rid of any DELL logo to start with... its almost blasphemous to have them on a case you've modded.
:mad: Dell!? Case!? BLASPHEMY! You shall burn at the stake!
:D

ZeD
06-02-2005, 09:17 PM
I dunno I kinda like the blue Dell XPS cases, if I could get one of those, I wouldnt mind it at all, too bad the mobo is proprietary and you'd have to mod it heavily, still worth the effort

Ozzhedian
06-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Yo Nate.
1st of all, I think guys at all the OEM builders got together and decided to use uber strength steel when building their cases. By looking at them you'd think that they were built to withstand all manner of natural disasters, so if you're a complete noob, i wouldn't recommend the jigsaw option. Get some practice with the jig 1st and then tackle that monster steel on your case.
2nd, don't replace your case. They might be ugly (OEM's are the new beige) and they might not have been designed with the words "lan party" in mind, but the are normally really well made and excellently designed. A mate of mine once replaced a mobo (which means taking everything out essentially) in about 10 mins in an HP case. Function should always follow form. Dress the case up for a good looking well designed case.
3rd, paint BEFORE you light! You might think that your case looks the business with it's current lighting, but it might look horrible with it's new paint scheme.
4th, read, read, read. There is no better source than the net for uncovering new mods and products.
5th, and by far the most important thing, DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO! This will lead to respect and admiration among peers and self gratification. Instead of telling you what to do with your case, i'm gonna list some shops and let you decide. Often products give you ideas about what look you want your case to have.

- This website.
- Paul's Book is a killa source filled with how to's.
- www.frozencpu.com
- www.xoxide.com
- www.directron.com
- www.gruntville.com
- www.mnpctech.com

Hope this helps you form your own ideas and remember to have fun.
Cheers.
Oz

snoozeys
02-09-2008, 10:59 PM
I have a samarai case but in a different colour except i have no side window, i would very much like to mod my case but have no idea where to start... atm i cant put my side on the case if i want to see my watercooling and fluro setup