PDA

View Full Version : pc/xbox

paranoya
05-31-2005, 12:32 PM
is there a way co combine a xbox and a pc together becouse the xbox is like a pc is it possible

Bum
05-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Sure......a little superglue and some clamps.....PRESTO! instant pc/xbox combo.

public_eyesore
05-31-2005, 04:03 PM
umm... i think you should specify what you want to do. Do you want them in the same case, link them to send info to eachother, or somthing else?
I believe the windows media center has some kind of link for the pc and xbox but im not sure what you can do with it.

AKA_RA
05-31-2005, 06:09 PM
im pretty sure that a bunch of people have installed linux on an xbox before, essentially making an xbox into a pc. i think it takes a mod chip or 2 though. but i dont know if that answers your question or not.

Rachel
06-01-2005, 12:19 AM
My boyfriend turned his xbox into a media center. It's almost a pc. He soldered a chip on it, upgraded his harddrive, installed evox, and then installed Xbox Media Center Edition. He can access iTunes, control it from a remote pc, and everything. It's the sweetest Xbox I've ever seen. But I don't think any of it is very legal.... :D

public_eyesore
06-01-2005, 12:31 AM
i dont know about the linux thing but people have run i think osx on it, but its not very stable.

AKA_RA
06-01-2005, 12:31 AM
yeah, i had almost forgotten about the legal issues that might bring up. i think that modding your xbox is legal, but playing imported/copied games is not. then again, ive heard arguments about how its intellectual property etc. etc. something blah blah....illegal.

Xato
06-01-2005, 01:49 AM
Modifying an object you own is comepletely legal... playing pirate versions of games on it is not (usually what the mod chips are for), or installing illegal OS's and stuff...
And yes, linux on Xbox's happens a lot. OSX, i dont even see the point in that... lol.

When u say combining a PC and an XBOX, do u mean u want an XBOX which is like a PC and can play XBOX games? If so, just chuck that Xbox Media Centre on... sounds like it could make a cool console.

Rachel
06-01-2005, 02:09 AM
The fact is Xbox Media Center is illegal because they used hacked Microsoft code. Evox I think is the same way. And if you put in that bigger harddrive you can copy all your games on it and will no longer need any disks. So you could rent games and have them forever. >_< So Awesome!!!! He got Evox through IRC and maybe XBMC the same way. But you will need the mod chip because you will need to use different dashboards and if you use xbox live you'll still need the original dashboard. The chip lets you switch inbetween the different dashboards. Like my boyfriends lets you switch between the original dashboard, the Evox dashboard, and the XBMC dashboard. The BIOS will also need to be flashed.

If you have any questions about it I can ask him and get back to you.

paranoya
06-01-2005, 02:40 PM
no I want to turn the xbox in to a pc with windows and stuff

public_eyesore
06-01-2005, 04:35 PM
so do you want to do a case mod and use the shell of an xbox for like a micro itx setup?

Rachel
06-01-2005, 11:41 PM
And no longer play the xbox games on it? That would be easy.

AKA_RA
06-02-2005, 01:25 AM
but why put to waste a perfectly good xbox when you could use a million other things for a case instead of an xbox. now if it was a dead xbox, i say gut it and mod the hell out of that case. or send it to me and ill do it myself ;)