PDA

View Full Version : help, unknown problems!

hogan
01-09-2007, 12:39 AM
ok not sure if i put this in the right spot, redirect me if need be.

so first off this is a home build system, im running xp sp2, with updated drivers.

the problem is that my comp restarts randomly, i've noticed that it does it when i've watched videos, but i can play games all day but if i watch any videos, aside from flash videos.the weird thing is that i can sometimes get through 3 hours of videos, but sometimes its only 3 minutes into it.

my system

Asus m2n sli deluxe
AMD Sempron 3600+
2g ram
nvidia geforce 7900gt/ oc its a bfg

i have switched mobos already and i'm pretty sure my power supply is fine, because it was fain in another system. i have reinstalled windows, switched video players, windows media player to VLC to media player classic to quick time.

im out of ideas of what the problem could be,please help before i give up and buy a mac!

Dem Pyros
01-09-2007, 12:42 AM
My guess would be either overheating (your system not handling the temps for playing video depending on what else you're doing)

Or otherwise that you have a corrupt codec causing your computer to crash.

SgtM
01-09-2007, 12:47 AM
I would go with heat or codec also. It's obviously not OS or media player related. Update the codec(s).

ESX
01-09-2007, 01:07 AM
Could be the drivers also, who knows.
If youre able to, check the Event Viewer: Start-> Run-> compmgmt.msc-> Event Viewer-> System. Try and see what caused the problem.

hogan
01-09-2007, 01:33 AM
its not a heat problem, i think i might uninstall my codecs, is their a way to go about uninstalling codecs?

also ill rere updaye drivers

simon275
01-09-2007, 05:04 AM
Removing Codecs

From a really great site for this have a look around on here you will find answers to many of these kind of related problems

http://www.free-codecs.com/guides/Adding_and_Removing_Default_Codecs_in_Windows.htm

3. Removing the Default Codecs:

- In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- On the Windows Setup tab, click Multimedia, and then click Details.
- Click the Audio Compression and Video Compression check boxes to clear them, and then click OK.
- Click OK.
The default codecs, with the exception of the Microsoft PCM converter, are removed. You cannot remove the Microsoft PCM converter.

4. Removing a Specific Codec or MCI Device:

- In Control Panel, double-click Multimedia.
- Click the Advanced or the Devices tab.
- To remove an audio codec, double-click Audio Compression Codecs, double-click the codec you want to remove, and then click Remove.
- To remove a video codec, double-click Video Compression Codecs, double-click the codec you want to remove, and then click Remove.
- To remove an MCI device, double-click Media Control Devices, double- click the device you want to remove, and then click Remove.

Luke122
01-09-2007, 05:18 AM
I had a laptop that would do that also. Turned out to be Divx corruption.. one of my vids was damaged, and everytime I played it, somehow crapped out divx, and bluescreened the computer.

slytherock
01-09-2007, 11:14 AM
It's not a heat problem for sure, the video dont need as much power as a game. I'll with the familly: codec problem, video corruption. May also be a registry or video driver problem

hogan
01-10-2007, 01:54 AM
so ive reinstaled my video card and onbord sound
uninstalled all my codecs, and players

and still restarts!

im going to do something im going to regret!

simon275
01-10-2007, 03:21 AM
Maybe swap out your PSU. I know this may not be the problem as only vids are the problem but have a go. Also try a different graphics cards as they can sometimes do weird things. Like once I could use windows but not play games.

hogan
01-10-2007, 05:32 PM
ok, so when i uninstall the codecs it seems every thing is fine until i re start my computer and they suddenly reappear!

Luke122
01-10-2007, 06:06 PM
does it only happen with certain videos, or certain file types?

I had a copy of Pirates in Divx that would crash my laptop almost everytime I played it, but other divx stuff was fine.

If it's all divx (or xvid, or mpg, etc) then it's a codec.

hogan
01-10-2007, 06:32 PM
it seems random, some times i can get through the whole file while other times i can only get through 30 sec of said file.

hogan
01-11-2007, 10:50 PM
i'm ordering a new power suply that is sli sertified from new egg and when i get it im going to reinstal xp, if that does not solve these problems i dont know what will.

anyway thanks for all of you guys and gals help.

Hogan