PDA

View Full Version : Project XBlueXmodX

Mitternacht
01-12-2007, 11:34 PM
In my other project thread, you've noticed an Xbox with the x painted dark blue metallic. I'm gonna install a modchip into it; the Xecuter 3 CE Modchip. (http://www.teamavalaunch.com/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=1561)

I'll start my log when I get the parts in the mail.

Zephik
01-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Have you seen this mod chip for the XBOX?

http://www.modchipstore.com/Xodus-Xenium-ICE-Xbox-Mod-Chip-Official-16182.html

I like to use modchipstore.com for these types of things btw. They have been around forever. Also, Llamma.com has some stuff for xbox mod stuff.

oh by the way, if you don't know how to solder, I advise getting a solderless adapter for any mod chip you purchase.

Mitternacht
01-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Got the modchip in the mail today. Got all the connectors and stuff installed, but I gotta borrow my friend's cold heat solderer to finish the job. Pics tomorrow.

Zephik
01-17-2007, 04:25 AM
Sweet man, Can't wait to see it!

Reyer
01-17-2007, 09:32 PM
does cold heat actually work?

blue73
01-17-2007, 09:43 PM
does cold heat actually work?

Iv'e heard of these "cold heat solderers"...Do they do the job honestly..Or is it a conspiracy?.. :think: They are on some shopping channels here in the UK so I guess they're in the US too.. hmmm witchcraft..

armadilloben
01-17-2007, 11:02 PM
i have one i spent 20$ at radioshack but the tips break so easily i just broke my second one like 20 min ago after finsihing my new lil calculator mod im p/o because the tips cost like 10 bucks but ill go there tommorow and ask them to give me a new tip because i bought it on monday

slytherock
01-17-2007, 11:03 PM
I received one two years ago form my ex-wife, never tried it, dont believe in it at all. maybe one day...

Zephik
01-18-2007, 01:39 AM
Well they heat up super fast, then they cool down even faster. My guess is that they are able to do that because of the material they use for the tips. Which are probably "fragile" like armadilloben has pointed out. I think they work fine from what I hear, just be careful with it so you don't have to buy new tips all the time. ;)

How's the Install going Mitternacht?

Mitternacht
01-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Well they heat up super fast, then they cool down even faster. My guess is that they are able to do that because of the material they use for the tips. Which are probably "fragile" like armadilloben has pointed out. I think they work fine from what I hear, just be careful with it so you don't have to buy new tips all the time. ;)

How's the Install going Mitternacht?

Sorry about not uploading the pics, my parents' Compaq is sorta out of commission (spyware). It's that computer I use to upload the pics off of the SD memory card; docking bay for cards. Well, I picked up the thinnest solder from one of my teachers, Tomaino, the coolest old man you'd ever meet. :D I'm borrowing the cold heat solderer off of my friend Tim. He should be bringing it into school today so I can get it, and finish this thing tonight.

Mitternacht
01-19-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm gonna buy one (cold heat) tonight, he's not coming through, and I need to get this thing done. I also have something new in mind, adding 2 4" cold cathodes for in front; blue. It'll look amazing.

Mitternacht
01-19-2007, 06:54 PM
I got home about 15minutes ago with a brand new Cold Heat. This thing ****ing sucks. Right outta the box, the tip is broke. And it's not gonna fulfill the purposes I'll need it for. So where can I get a soldering gun for super-precise stuff?

.Maleficus.
01-19-2007, 07:18 PM
A hardware store. I imagine every hardware store near you will have some sort of soldering device, whether it be a gun or not. I just use a generic iron my dad got at like, "The Dollar Tree". It works good for me, and with patience is precise.

Mitternacht
01-19-2007, 07:39 PM
I looked into it. For the same money, I can get a coldheat conetip solder gun and a desoldering gun for $.50 more. I'll need the desolderer to remove the solder where the jumper is supposed to go.

Crimson Sky
01-19-2007, 10:16 PM
for any kind of precise soldering you need something like this (http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/scripts/product/1980-0436). I have this (Digital) model and its probably the last one I'll ever need to own. The standard soldering irons (even the fancy gun type with LED light) you get in hardware stores are required to shut off or lower the temperature, making it useless after about twenty minutes of work--this is to prevent fires in the home. A digital soldering station can work all day long and allow you to dial in the correct temperature for the job without damaging sensitive electronic components.

tybrenis
01-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Bummer. I had a cold heat, but sold it on eBay after using it for 5 minutes and realizing it's suck factor.

I wish I would have got to your post earlier, I could have told you have much they suck ass.

Mitternacht
01-19-2007, 10:35 PM
I was gonna return this one and buy another cold heat, the one with a cone tip, so it shouldn't break.

Mitternacht
01-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Sorry about no pics yet. I got the chip installed and soldered in. Now I need to install a BIOS and Dashboard into the Xbox. I'm not gonna be discussing the step of downloading the dashboard. Just google it and you'll end up with the correct path to obtaining them. I've gotta install Nero and burn the CD properly. I'll update the log afterwards.

Omega
01-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Oh, cold heat works well with solder. Until you actually want to get something done.

Mitternacht
01-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Oh man, did it take forever to get this thing running...

1st, I got the Modchip installed. After that, you gotta find a BIOS and eventually find the right tutorial to install it. You also have to create a 100MB Dummy file, just so the Xbox will make an effort to read it. After flashing the xbox with the file on a CD-RW, you then gotta find the dashboard. I can tell you where to find it, but you must not link to it, for that's illegal. After getting the right dashboard, burn it the right way (which took for-****ing-ever) and run it on the Xbox. Connect the xbox upto the router, connect to it, do file transfers through FlashFXP, it goes endless. It must've took about 20 hours from start to finish, just to get the xbox running.

Mitternacht
01-21-2007, 10:55 PM
My modded Xbox, in all it's glory! Muahaha!!!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/gigaglytch/DSCN1333.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/gigaglytch/DSCN1334.jpg
Everyone loves Sonic the Hedgehog!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/gigaglytch/DSCN1335.jpg
My workstation I spent 20+ hours at:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/gigaglytch/DSCN1336.jpg
Desktop littered with programs and files
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/gigaglytch/DSCN1337.jpg
Xecuter 3 CE
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/gigaglytch/DSCN1338.jpg
Off:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/gigaglytch/DSCN1339.jpg
On:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/gigaglytch/DSCN1340.jpg

jdbnsn
01-21-2007, 11:13 PM
I have an old XBox lying around, I ought to put it to some use. Nice job!

Mitternacht
01-21-2007, 11:27 PM
I have an old XBox lying around, I ought to put it to some use. Nice job!

Team-Avalaunch.com; buy your modchip there. Normally the Xecuter3 is $50-60. I paid $48, 1-3 day shipping included. You'll be amazed at what a modded Xbox can do. I could've turned mine into a Linux Server, but I chose a gaming console instead.

jdbnsn
01-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the tip!

Mitternacht
01-22-2007, 03:04 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822147008
Here's the cheapest 500GB hard drive on newegg. Should I buy this for the Xbox? It'll be for ripping all of my Xbox games onto this hard drive, and emulators/ROMs.

ReignInPain
01-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Looks very tidy! Nice work! I'd watch out though, Mod Chips are illegal, and could potentially get TBCS in trouble! I think Dave locked the last thread regarding Mod Chips.

Mitternacht
01-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Modchips aren't illegal. The software that modifies Microsoft's programming is illegal. it's illegal for a site to host the files, but is not illegal to possess the files. It's illegal to sell a modded Xbox, but isn't illegal to own. So I'm safe. And yes, he locked the xbox mod chip topic Reyer made.

ReignInPain
01-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Ah ok. Maybe the US laws are different to the UK. As I understand, in the UK the Chips themselves are illegal.

ReignInPain
01-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Becasue Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo etc... All want monpoly's on their products, so they gain maximum profits from their products. Using Chips could lead to people using copied and pirated games. Or third party software. All of these meaning people arent buying the original companies products.

Its alllll about the money.

DaveW
01-22-2007, 06:26 PM
That's not how it works. When you buy a software product, you own a little disk. What you don't own is the programming on that disk. It's like when you buy a movie: you own the Tape or DVD. But you don't own the movie.

The software in the Xbox belongs to Microsoft, and they have the right to defend it. If you modify the software, or make a profit from their software, then it's a form of piracy and is illegal. You're right, the chip itself is not illegal, it's the software that is.

But without the software, it's not a modchip, it's a ****ty little lump of silicon with contacts. Remember this is a business website, the last thing we want is to piss of some software giant like Microsoft for allowing you to promote mod chips. It's unlikely to happen, but why should we risk it? So all talk of mod chips stops now.

You're welcome to debate the legality of mod chips, but no more links to where to purchase them, reviews of them, etc.

-Dave

Reyer
01-22-2007, 07:53 PM
im thinking about getting a chip

was it hard to solder?because im not that good at it and i dont want to mess up my box

Mitternacht
01-22-2007, 08:57 PM
I wasn't meaning to promote it in any way. Just documenting my build of an Xbox, since it's different from PCs. BTW, this modchip isn't the only thing I'm doing to it.

SPOILRZ!!1 :

I'm gonna do a case and cold cathodes.

DaveW
01-23-2007, 06:42 AM
I wasn't meaning to promote it in any way. Just documenting my build of an Xbox, since it's different from PCs. BTW, this modchip isn't the only thing I'm doing to it.

It's ok, you can continue with your hardware side stuff. But just don't go into the software side.

So basically you pay for the RIGHT to OWN the xbox, IF you don't modify it's PROGRAMMING?

I mean.. Is the law gonna come bust down my door if I change the OS on my xbox? If so, then that legislation needs to get CHECKED. Sometimes I hate microsoft, but like you said THIS is a business site, so I will refrain from my wanton rant. It's useless anyway..

-Jeremy

You own the XBox. That includes the hard drive and all the hardware parts. But you are not allowed to modify any of their code. Changing the OS would be legal on a PC, but the modchips don't work the same way, they have to re-use a lot of MS's code, which they don't like. Unless that code is released under the GPL or another open-source licence, you have no right to edit it/re-use it, any more than you have a right to crack a game.

In the UK, it's illegal to unlock mobile phones and put mod chips into consoles for these reasons.

-Dave

Mitternacht
01-23-2007, 07:39 AM
That's why I skipped the software side, and didn't reveal which BIOS and Dashboard I'm using, for both are illegal for other sites to host. I just mentioned all the info on how to get it can be found on Google.

DaveW
01-23-2007, 09:07 AM
I just mentioned all the info on how to get it can be found on Google.

That's fine with me. It's like talking about Limewire. Limewire is legal software. Just don't talk about downloading illegal stuff with it.

-Dave

DaveW
01-23-2007, 02:37 PM
So feeasibly if a mod-chip was able to utilize a LINUX build, and still retain the functionality of the modded MS software, it would not be illegal?

Technically, it would still be illegal. That would be like re-shooting Star Wars and not paying Lucasarts a big fat royalty check.

If it did something different with the Linux Hardware, eg: Allowed you run MAME on it, then that would be perfectly legal-assuming you owned the ROM's. Some ROMs you can now acquire legally too.

-Dave

OvRiDe
01-23-2007, 04:44 PM
So feeasibly if a mod-chip was able to utilize a LINUX build, and still retain the functionality of the modded MS software, it would not be illegal?

There is some information on the legality of modchips on this site.
http://www.answers.com/topic/modchip. One thing that stood out was this excerpt:

Many companies are now selling modchips without any possibly DMCA-infringing BIOS code loaded onto the EEPROM portion of the chip module, or loading it with a totally legal BIOS containing none of the manufacturer's copyrighted code (for example the Cromwell BIOS developed by the Xbox Linux Project). It is then up to the customer to separately obtain a copy of their desired (possibly illegal) firmware and then to flash it into EEPROM.
The main thing is like Dave said.. At the point you load one of these non-infringing BIOS's it ceases to be usesd as an XBOX and just becomes a piece of hardware.

Mitternacht
02-16-2007, 12:47 AM
Update:

I uploaded the Avalaunch dashboard to the Xbox, instead of EvoX. I've been having problems with it. And the only time I'll have to deal with EvoX again is when I make a boot disc to format my new bigger hard drive, which I'll try to do tomorrow. My dad did want me in bed at 11, so I'm goin' to bed and gonna wake up at 6 and get started again.

You know us modders, once we get started, there's no stoppin' us! :D

Mitternacht
02-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Just got an 80 gig Maxtor HDD installed and formatted in the Xbox. Now I can rip DVD movies and Xbox games without a worry about space. the move from 8 GB to 80 GB is gonna rock! I'll throw on all the emulators, ROMs, plugins, music, media players, etc. later. I'll try to get pics after work.

Mitternacht
02-16-2007, 11:30 AM
My mod will keep it an xbox; it'll still run Xbox games on the CD's and runs 'em off of the hard drive as well. It just adds more functions like you said, Minty. It doesn't take away what makes it an Xbox; just gives it more features.

Mitternacht
02-16-2007, 12:19 PM
It depends on the Dashboard. I don't think it matters what BIOS or EEPROM is on the chip. Plus, many people wouldn't do this; when they see what's involved they'll probably back down. I was lucky enough to have the resources to do it.

Bucko
02-16-2007, 12:23 PM
This Mod Chip legality is quite interesting as over here in Australia it is all perfectly legal and has been upheld in the High Court too.
Of course, I won't be putting any links up here about where to get them as this site obviously isn't Australian, but here is a link to the legality over here:
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Australia%27s_High_Court_rules_mod-chips_are_legal

luciusad2004
02-16-2007, 01:16 PM
This Mod Chip legality is quite interesting as over here in Australia it is all perfectly legal and has been upheld in the High Court too.
Of course, I won't be putting any links up here about where to get them as this site obviously isn't Australian, but here is a link to the legality over here:
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Australia%27s_High_Court_rules_mod-chips_are_legal

I think Australia seems to be pretty level headed in all of these matters. Its one of the few countries i have heard of that is against region coding. I understand that region coding helps companies make money, and Im as much of a capitalist as the next guy, but region coding is wrong in my opinion. If i buy a copy of a movie or a video game, i may not own the game, but i should have the right to sell my copy and if i so desire, i should be able to sell it out of my country.

Or an even more plausible argument.

Lets say i live in Europe and i have acquired a MASSIVE dvd and game collection. Ive given the movie companies their money and every thing is legit. Then i decide that i want to move to the states. All of the sudden, i cant find movies that work in my old DVD player. That 500 dollar gaming system i bought won't play any of my new games either. Next, my dvd player dies. So i go out and buy a new one. I bring it home, set it up and sit back to watch some movies. To my horror, none of my European movies will play in my new American DVD player. So what am i stuck with? A couple thousand dollars worth of useless shiny disks. My only options seem to be, purchase new copies of my movies, or buy and illegal DVD player. I cant see how this can be in any way justified.

:up: :up: :up: for Australia

Edit: How is buying and renting movies in Australia? Do you guys have any problems with the Movie industries trying to force region coding on you? I thought i read that region coded players are illegal for you guys, but there was a problem with some movies that wont play on region-free players. Is this true?

Mitternacht
02-17-2007, 12:01 AM
New sig. =D

LiTHiUM0XiD3
02-21-2007, 11:19 PM
i rly dont see why ppl use mod chips lolz they take alot longer than a softmod...... and u can do just about everything a mod chip can do with a soft mod.... only thing that gets difficult is upgrading ur HD in it..... which is why me being my lazy self.... has left the stock one in till i can free up my 160Gb maxtor outa my P4...

Mitternacht
02-23-2007, 08:06 PM
I felt like using a modchip. I don't like soft mods. You can do a lot more with modchips than you can softmods. Yes, the first time is a bitch, but now I know how to do it. And if I had to do another, I'd have it done, and up and running in one day.

Reyer
02-24-2007, 02:23 AM
hey, i have a soft modded xbox, and i think its great,
i kind of want to get a chip, but i dont know what the difference is.

how is a chip better than soft modding?

i know that you can flash your bios and unlock your hd and stuff, but what else can you do?

Mitternacht
02-24-2007, 10:04 AM
http://www.mrmodchips.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=127

Mitternacht
02-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Inspired by henmill, I'm gonna give windows a shot. I got a plexi hard drive cover on the way soon.

Luke122
02-28-2007, 02:57 PM
I've got my Xbox softmodded using the Splintercell / Linux exploit, and have upgraded to a 7200rpm 80gb hdd. Add an 80pin ide cable, and play your games from the HDD. What load times? :D

I dont pirate games though; I archive my own Xbox games (which I own, yes) so I dont have to swap discs all the time. Also, the load times from hdd are sooo much better.

The only thing that I would want a mod chip for is the ability to change that frickin' flubber animation on startup. I HATE that thing.

BTW, using XBMC to access SMB shares on your local network is the greatest thing ever. Xbox becomes HTPC (essentially) + games. :) All my music and movie collection can be accessed from the xbox in the living room, and with new scripts being developed all the time for xbmc, I can access Youtube, Shoutcast (audio and video), and bittorrent from my xbox too.

Just my 2 cents (ok, more than 2 cents). :D

Omega
02-28-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm really tempted to mod my xBox (make it a linux HTPC, then put all my media on a share on my main computer, so I can actually watch anime on TV), plus some aesthetics (I want a white or White/blue xBox with blue LED's instead of green ones), but I can't even begin to think of another project before SilverDawn is done. Oh well.

Omega
03-01-2007, 01:27 AM
xBoxes are fun. All I've ever done to mine was cut a small notch in some metal, and put CCFL's on it, routed off of the Hard Drive's molex. I've also removed the metal plating that's under the top cover.

Plus, the games & HD Capability (with special cables & games). They're old, but worth it.

Mitternacht
04-07-2007, 09:51 PM
I was checking out the menu to my xbox, when I come across a download for XBMC. Sweet! Here's some screenshots.

Main menu:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/gigaglytch/screenshot001.jpg
Music accesible over the network; all of that music is on Wiedergeboren:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/gigaglytch/screenshot002.jpg
Screenshot of Robot Chicken:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/gigaglytch/screenshot003.jpg

LiTHiUM0XiD3
04-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Xbmc Ftw!!!

B1Gtime
04-09-2007, 11:47 AM
I got a mod chip in my XBOX, I can get games from Block Buster and burn them to the hard drive. Much more..

XBMC Got that too.

160GB Hard Drive.

my XBMC has a different skin tho, i like urs better.

XBMC
http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1051ku7.jpg
Back Round(when i turn my xbox on)
http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1050ea8.jpg

Mitternacht
04-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I got a mod chip in my XBOX, I can get games from Block Buster and burn them to the hard drive. Much more..

XBMC Got that too.

160GB Hard Drive.

my XBMC has a different skin tho, i like urs better.

XBMC
http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1051ku7.jpg
Back Round(when i turn my xbox on)
http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1050ea8.jpg

You should be able to take screenshots by clicking in the left thumbstick; that's how I got my screenshots.

I had problems formatting my 80gb hdd. I made a EvoX format disc, but it didn't work. I had to format it through FTP, while having the xbox run on an EvoX bootdisc. How'd you format your drive?

I know there's a special way it has to be formatted if you want an F: partition to be greater than 137 GB, but can you format a drive like that through FTP w/o worrying about any special way to tell it to make the f partition 137+ gb's?

prosser13
04-09-2007, 05:17 PM
In the UK, it's illegal to unlock mobile phones...for these reasons.

Really :o

Theres a shop in our town centre which offers unlocking - got big signs up too. Never realised it wasn't legal... :o

AMD_TaT3rs
06-22-2007, 12:02 AM
you can try slayer's auto installer. google it. it gets you everything. when i installed my hdd all i did was pop slayers auto installer and it did the rest. i recommend it.