PDA

View Full Version : Tray to fit 5.25" drive bay

kaare-oi
06-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Hi - I want to get a simple tray that will fit a 5.25" drive bay, in which I plan to place some custom electronics. Blank front panel would be ideal.

Sort of like the removable IDE or SCSI trays that are for sale everywhere, except I don't want removable, and I dont' want all those useless (to me) connectors at the rear.

The following would be ideal, except it's for 3.5 inch bay:

http://addonics.com/products/io/aa25ide35.asp (Ignore the cable thing; that's not what I'm talking about.)

If you've run across such a tray, please let me know.

-kc

Frakk
06-02-2005, 02:55 PM
just get an aluminum plate and bend it, drill 4 holes on the side and TADAM!

kaare-oi
06-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Well, sure, but I need about 20 of them, and if I can just buy something sweet, it'll save a bunch of bending. Plus, my bending is not nearly as nice as some metal-fab company that's stamping out a few thousand of them.

-kc

ZeD
06-02-2005, 09:11 PM
what exactly are you trying to do? I would grab an old optical drive, gut it to use as the tray and bed, install it one or two notches back and use a blank bay cover for the front fro the switches\leds. Or just use the optical drive and make a front panel for it.

Pascs
06-03-2005, 04:08 AM
something like this except with a blank front?

http://www.freewebs.com/tigerdirect/Removable_Data_Storage/TC1-8300.html

ZeD
06-03-2005, 12:15 PM
I know what you want, what do you plan on doing with it, so I can better help ya find what your looking for, I would say go for one of those, then use the 3.5 cover and physically attach with bondo

kaare-oi
06-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi,

What I'm trying to do is mount a small circuit board (2" X 3") that I've designed inside a PC. The circuit board connects to 4 BNC connectors, a small LCD display, a D15 connector, and a few LEDs that will be at the front. With all this stuff, you see why I need a 5.25 bay and not 3.5" bay. On the rear (internally) is a Type B USB connector, that will got to a motherboard USB connector.

This all relates to a medical imaging application that I've created. I have everything working, but the packaging remains an open issue. If I could find a tray that would hold this, I'd only have to mount the stuff on the front panel. If I can't find such a tray, I'll adapt something like a 3.5 -> 5.25 floppy tray (as suggested by Pascs, from tiger direct), but the more I can buy, the nicer it will be, and the less I have to hack.

(Yeah, I know, I'm not the traditional case modder, although I once stuffed a telephone into a case that looks like a VW beetle, with headlights that blinked when the phone rang. And a digital clock in a nice walnut case was my first digital design project.) In searching for a generic tray to fit a PC drive bay, I came across these forums, was impressed by the breadth of knowledge of PC esoterica here, and thought it would be worth asking.

-kc

Malatory
06-03-2005, 04:35 PM
I know what your looking for. But I was not able to come up with it by searching as well.
everything has gotten fancy and added slots / keys / Display's. I guess they keep taking our ideas and dropping the products that we modded in the past :).

another idea to use pascs converter and replace the cover with the one that comes out of the computer. like stealthing a CDROM drive. Or get some very cheat CDROM and gut them out.

dbradee
01-18-2010, 07:36 PM
I realize my reply is way, way, way late. However, since this site was the first result for my Google search for "drive bay tray", I figured I'd post some solutions here for folks like kaare-oi looking for a custom electronics housing solution for a 5.25 inch drive bay. I too was having a hard time finding something that worked well; and I found these solutions after much digging.

Akiwa computer chassis company has a hard drive housing that is ideal for $18, as of the date of this post, model GHA-H01.
http://www.akiwa.com/item.php?pg=image&id=345

http://www.akiwa.com/images/345/GHA-H01A.jpg

Supermicro has a tray that is similar but without fans with the part number 01-01-820102 and the black plastic front cover for it is part number 01-01-820103. I don't know what price.