PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rod Mice

Commando
01-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Hey everyone. I just wanted to share 2 more mice I did.

The first one I did for my brother. It's a brand new Logitech LX3.

The second one is an old one I had laying around. I wanted to try out some new red sparkle paint I had.

http://www.commandosystems.com/worklogimages/hot%20rod%20006.jpg

http://www.commandosystems.com/worklogimages/joker%20002.jpg

I've got a couple more pics in my gallery, here (http://www.commandosystems.com/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=4&sessionid=eccc490fe8f6f7ab533601c352603a54).

Take it easy.

d_stilgar
01-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Very cool. I need to get going with my airbrush. Everyone else is getting me jealous.

SgtM
01-13-2007, 07:04 PM
sick.. just sick.. +rep

DaveW
01-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Nice, +Rep dude.

-Dave

slytherock
01-13-2007, 08:07 PM
really nice. Impressive Airbrush skills. +rep

On a side note, I'm so lucky, my new girlfriend's doing airbrush... :)

DaveW
01-13-2007, 08:22 PM
my new girlfriend's doing airbrush...

New girlfriend? Already? Impressive. The force is strong in this one...;)

-Dave

slytherock
01-13-2007, 08:25 PM
New girlfriend? Already? Impressive. The force is strong in this one...;)

-Dave

The same, I mean the Metalhead one I've speak of 2 weeks ago. I was turning around her for the last 9 months. :banana:

Now let go back to the topic, sorry Commando, dont want to hijack this.

tybrenis
01-13-2007, 08:31 PM
That's ridiculous commando. Seriously, you have some crazy skills.

Maybe it's my airbrush.. but I can't get it within half an inch of my work area without it globbing up or spraying too much. Also, when I spray anything (like the mouse I'm painting right now) I get terrible orange peel with my Paasche VLS.

Either way, you have some mad skills. +Rep.

Ronyx
01-13-2007, 09:06 PM
w00t
+rep =D
now can u do up a Logitech G5 :D:D:D
lolz i hate that red copper coloured dot in the middle of it...

Commando
01-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey tybrenis,

I still have the same problem with this my Eclipse CS. The whole globbing thing is not having the paint thinned out perfect. Don't get me wrong, this isn't as easy as it sounds. Too thin and you get a watery mess. Too thick, gobb city.

Having a good compressor that can push 35-40 Psi consistently does help tremendously. Don't get discouraged though. I have the same problems and make the same mistakes. When my airbrush will all the sudden not push paint, then wamm too much. I think this happens to everyone. I try to start spraying off of whatever I'm painting, then work onto it. As soon as I feel my brush starting getting gobbed up, I pause and check it. Then I clear it by pulling all the way back then down to spit any gobb out. When this just isn't helping, pour out the paint, mix another really small amount up and go again. But before loading more paint, push some airbrush cleaner through the airbrush. Cleaner is a little expensive, but water or Windex isn't. Just make sure you spray some water through it before putting in more paint.

I like using water based paints like Createx or Auto Air. These do fine on top of enamel bases and under enamel clear-coats. They are easy to thin out with a little water. I like to mix paint in the tops from plastic bottles, they are the perfect size.

I hope this helps.

tybrenis
01-13-2007, 10:18 PM
That helped a lot, Commando. Thanks mate. I also use the Createx water based colors, but so far I have had some problems with painting without getting that orange peel effect. My compressor does a consistent 15-100 PSI if I need it to, it's good quality with a 2 gallon tank. I do not, however, thin out my createx paints before I use them. Perhaps I shall give that a try.

jdbnsn
01-13-2007, 11:42 PM
I like the second one ok, but the first one is friggin awesome! Perfect colors dude, I am way impressed!

derbaum
01-14-2007, 05:21 AM
mhh time to practice with my own airbrush. that looks really cool.
do you have a link to a how to about the flametechnique you are using?

ESX
01-14-2007, 06:17 PM
I'd love to see my mouse looking like that :D +rep

SgtM
01-14-2007, 06:21 PM
mhh time to practice with my own airbrush. that looks really cool.
do you have a link to a how to about the flametechnique you are using?

He talks about the technique in his carbon fire mod in this thread..
http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5714

tybrenis
01-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Here is the link to the tutorial he posted:

http://www.airbrush.com/how-to-guide.aspx

Cagedconnerman
01-14-2007, 10:35 PM
really amazing job with the airbrushing as always

Commando
01-15-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks again.

Of course all of the techniques I use I learned from practice and looking them up on the internet.

Please let me know if your looking for a specific technique. I can probably track down a link to it.

By Far the best link to airbrush how-to is Airbrush.com. Their how-to section is awesome.

Here's the link again.

http://www.airbrush.com/how-to-guide.aspx

Gaereth
02-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Those are great!!! You should go into business and sell those babies.

hmm...are there any legal ramifications to repainting and reselling things like mice??

xmastree
02-03-2007, 05:19 AM
Why should there be any legal issues? :?

BTW, great work. With I had an airbrush, although I doubt I could be anywhere near as good as that so I'll stick to what I'm good at...

derbaum
02-03-2007, 12:15 PM
cause theres something like copyright? iam not shure about that but you maybe have to contact the company who made the products and ask if you are allowed to use their brand when selling the modified products.
better check on legal stuff bevore getting sued!

.Maleficus.
02-03-2007, 02:27 PM
cause theres something like copyright? iam not shure about that but you maybe have to contact the company who made the products and ask if you are allowed to use their brand when selling the modified products.
better check on legal stuff bevore getting sued!
I don't think there would be any problem selling modded mice. It's like the same idea as taking something to a second hand store. They are selling other company's goods for their own profit.

It would be another thing if he STOLE the mice, THEN sold them. That would be against the law, but not for copyright issues.

I guess the best way I can make this a copyright issue would be if he took the mouse, painted it, then sold it as his own product, not saying "This is a Microsoft XXXSSG mouse painted blah blah...". If it is said that it is a Microsoft or Logitech or whatever mouse, it should be fine.

Gaereth
02-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Why should there be any legal issues? :?

BTW, great work. With I had an airbrush, although I doubt I could be anywhere near as good as that so I'll stick to what I'm good at...

Not saying there would be but I tend to be hugely ignorant of legal issues so I tend to ask those questions first rather than saying ooops.

I know if I paint Disney characters on mice without Disneys permission they can shut me down, what I didn't know is if there was any problem with the mouse itself.

Commando
02-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Great question.

No, there is nothing wrong with selling a modded product. You just can't sell it as the original or claim it to be the original. Also the modder voids the original warranty therefore if the modder wants to offer a warranty they have to pay out of pocket for the replacement.

Also, your thinking of trademarks. I can't start selling mice that have a picture of Disney character on them for example without permission from Disney. You can do this, however to get permission would probably cost something crazy which I don't have an interest in.

Now, I have no interest in stepping on the feet of this website's owner who mods for a living and let's us all hang out here. That's why I wouldn't and won't advertise services here. I, just like a bunch of others here, of course do freelance work of all types.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Mitternacht
02-03-2007, 08:04 PM
That first one is amazing. I've GOT to do that to my wireless mouse at work! lol I'd be the talk of the office if I could airbrush like that. +rep