PDA

View Full Version : i want a fedora "farm"...please help :*(

AKA_RA
01-14-2007, 11:39 AM
so i installed fedora core 6 on one machine using the GUI, and it works perfect. i installed the bare minimum on another machine and it asks me for a "localhost login" and i have no idea what the hell it is. it never asked me to assign one for this pc. i have the password, and ive tried just about everything can think of. host, admin, default, even abstract random crap. anyone got any idea what this is? its a command line asking for local host login. please help me before i go nuts.

im gonna have to do this 3 more times to get my linux serer farm running. im really into DC and i have plans to run 5 or 6 machines (possible 8 max in about a month) with folding@home on all of them running at max capacity 24/7.

please help me cure cancer ^_^. and any incite on this issue would be greatly appreciated. so thank you in advance for any help that is provided.

SgtM
01-14-2007, 12:03 PM
try logging in with the username of root and then your password.

Airbozo
01-14-2007, 04:54 PM
This is the fastest way I have ever built a linux cluster:

http://www.rocksclusters.org/wordpress/

I had 4 nodes up and running in less than half an hour. (I did have practice though...)

I also noticed on one of my tests, that if I reinstalled fedora (core 4 I think) on the same disk without reformatting the drive, the installer kept the older files as if it was an upgrade.

SgtM
01-14-2007, 07:46 PM
another thing I just remembered.. if you can get to a terminal, type in su or sudo and that will give you root access.

SgtM
01-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Any luck on getting logged in yet?

AKA_RA
01-16-2007, 03:02 PM
you know, to tell you the truth, i forgot i posted this, i was running xp to use the test machine as a temp file server, lol. but im back to fedora core 6 and this time im gonna do it right.

there are 4 celerons in all, but so far i only know of one working for 100% sure. two im pretty sure about and the 4th isn't together yet, but prolly works. i know they all booted last time i messed with em, but ive swapped the ram around, so the jumpers may need adjusting. stupid jumpers...i hate jumpers for clock settings. so few options, so many holes in my fingers. (actually that only happened like once, but holy thell did it hurt)

anyways, when its up ill take a pic so you can all gasp in horror and wondehow it hasnt collapsed on itself, lol.