PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX, will it fit?

Ronyx
01-15-2007, 06:52 AM
Today i went over to PC Case Gear to pick up my Raidmax Sirius case. I asked them if i could get a refund if the video card i tried wouldn't fit in it and they said yes but only if nothing was screwed into it. That meant i had to measure the video card and "eye it" inside the case without actually installing the motherboard. Good thing was that the guys over at Scorptec did it all for me. And the result were:

Negative :neutral:

The video card seems to hit the top of the "side ways hard drive bays". This is because the Asus P5N32 E SLI motherboard takes up the top slot for it's on board sound card meaning that the video card cannot sit just above those hard drive bays. Unless you mod the case, cutting off the edge of those bays then it is not physically possible to have an 8800GTX card fit inside the case with this exact motherboard.

However if you do plan on cutting those bays off, it would cause the hard drive bays above them to become unstable and they could possibly break because of the weight imposed on them. I would not recommend anyone to do so unless they have thought of a way to provide some sort of support. If you do cut those bays off then you will void your warranty, so double check that whatever you are thinking of doing will work before you do it.

I hope that helps anyone who is thinking of buying a Radimax Sirius case and planning on putting an 8800GTX inside it or has an ATX case with those annoying side way hard drive bays.

-Ronyx

Zephik
01-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Chop it up baby! Psh, what are you talking about it wont fit? Are you feeling okay? If something doesn't fit, then make it fit. Unless of course your trying to put a ATX motherboard into a can of soda pop, well thats just ridiculous. But I think if you give it some thought you could make it fit. *cough* dremel it *cough*

Well the best of luck to you, I hope you figure something out!

Ronyx
01-15-2007, 10:11 AM
yea, i wanted to but my dad doesn't want to waste money on a case and then have something collapse and send all the 4 grand into oblivion... + if i mod it then it's not covered by warranty, another thing my dad has a thing against

dude this has been hard on me, i really love that case. trust me, if there was a way to me getting it then i would pursue it, but there isn't. i'm upset as it is but i'm just gonna have to get over it

this was just meant to warn people who were thinking of getting it. so they wouldn't have to go through it the hard way.

1hour drive to pc case gear to get case
30min to scorptec
15min at scorptec measuring
30min drive back to pc case gear to return case
1 hour drive back home

it was a long day today...

P.S. i had a plan b, now they're going to build the system into a Soprano case. it's not my first choice but it's the most non fugly case there is in their store...

Zephik
01-15-2007, 10:40 AM
That would be the Thermaltake Soprano right? I actually kind of like that case, Thermaltake makes some pretty slick stuff. Like the TT Armor.

Ronyx
01-15-2007, 06:00 PM
They have that case for sale too, but it's not my cup of tea... if only they made it so the front isn't just the mesh with like a gazillion fans =[
Better front = better case. Oh and plus i like the window in the Soprano better then the one in this one =]

P.S. yep it's the TT Soprano =]

bartvandenberg
01-23-2007, 11:21 PM
If you like the look of the soprano, then why not go with a tsunami dream. pretty much the same look, but a heavy duty front door, mirror coating, and its ultra light. mind you the led's in the front door are annoying as all get out, and where the first thing i disconnected...

anyway. just my 2 cents. whether you wanted them or not :D:D:D

Ronyx
01-24-2007, 02:40 AM
i was only allowed to pick from the cases Scorptec had, sadly they didn't have that one lolz. It's still basically a soprano with a different wavy front. not many new features. Too late now away, if you hadn't noticed i already got my system.

Specs >> here << (http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6082) lolz
Ty for recommending it tho, maybe another comp, another day =]

klingelton
01-28-2007, 08:19 AM
if i mod it then it's not covered by warranty, another thing my dad has a thing against

I take your warranty and substitute my own!

I'm about to void the warranty on £1500 worth of computer this afternoon, as soon as i get some distilled water!

Ronyx
01-28-2007, 11:19 AM
yea, times that number by 2 1/2 and u get the price of my comp... + this being my first purchase under circumstances like these... i'm kool with no modding *pause* only on the case ofcourse lolz.

simon275
01-29-2007, 04:59 AM
I take your warranty and substitute my own!

A sneaky myth buster quote in disguise.

True Ronyx I am still scared to complety tear up my big expensive box of yummyness.