PDA

View Full Version : Vista Not A OSX Ripoff!

ReignInPain
01-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Proof that Microsoft did not copy Mac! Hillarious :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvfUku1GpCw

tybrenis
01-15-2007, 06:39 PM
LOL that was fantastic! Wow. So true. That was a well done exposure of the great copying machine: aka M!kr0$h!T

ReignInPain
01-15-2007, 06:47 PM
The best part is, its all true! Theres a lot of responses from Microsoft fan boys bitchin' about how Vista beta had all those features back in 2003. What the idiots don't realise is my old Mac had most of those features back in 1993! ;)

Crimson Sky
01-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Apple Sucks. stupid video. I love how the measley 9% of the world's [Mac] computer users will blindly follow Apple as if Jobs is some techno guru shephard that will lead his flock of Mac-sheeple to product nirvana. All he is interested in is his bottom line, and floating boatloads of your money down his candy apple river--just like the Other Guy. Granted, the iPod is revolutionary--however the DRM shackles that Apple puts on your wrist with iTunes is unacceptable. This is not freedom, or technological enlightenment. I refuse to be a slave to his products. If it cant play MP3, its not for me. Put that in your OS and smoke it.

DaveW
01-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Granted, the iPod is revolutionary--however the DRM shackles that Apple puts on your wrist with iTunes is unacceptable.

Zune's exactly the same. Apparently it refuses to play files you buy from the Microsoft store and is completely incompatible with MS's 'Plays for Sure' system. Bill Gates publicly agreed at a conference yesterday/Saturday that MS's DRM is 'draconian' and needs to be relaxed, as it's only the legitimate users who are actually feeling the bite.

-Dave

SgtM
01-16-2007, 12:17 AM
I just had a problem with Vista not wanting to see my music files. I'm using WMP11. I had to add everything to the library again.

ReignInPain
01-16-2007, 01:59 PM
I like both OS's. Microsoft for its Compatability, Mac for its superior Graphics, and (more important to me) Sound quality. I await the day when I can sucessfully run both Systems on one Machine.

luciusad2004
01-16-2007, 04:33 PM
I like both OS's. Microsoft for its Compatability, Mac for its superior Graphics, and (more important to me) Sound quality. I await the day when I can sucessfully run both Systems on one Machine.

You can... as long as you want to buy and overpriced machine from apple.

Even though i know it most likely wont ever happen, I would love to have OS X on a PC that i built myself.

But as of now... ill probably just keep building my desktops, and buying laptops from apple.

Crimson - What do you mean an iPod cant play mp3's? I rip all of my cd's in itunes as mp3's and i have mp3's from the internet (they aren't illegal) that play fine on my iPod and in itunes. Am i having the apple wool pulled over my eyes? I do have an older ipod (2nd or 3rd generation i think) if that makes a differnce. Does that mean that if i buy a new ipod I have to reconvert everything in to DRM laced apple formats?

As far as Microsoft stealing ideas from apple. I'm sure they did. Its the way these things work. There isn't anything horribly evil about it. It's not like they are stealing code and creating an exact duplicate. They are just adding useful features to windows that already exist on the apple platform. But i still prefer OS X to windows.

Edit: Forgot to mention... I do give Microsoft some props for Media Center... Apple IS playing catch up when it comes to that sort of functionality.

ReignInPain
01-16-2007, 04:54 PM
You can... as long as you want to buy and overpriced machine from apple.

Not quite. Thanks to the way Macs, OSX and Vista work, you can't get them to run on the same machine without some pretty major faults. One day hopefully these things will be ironed out.

luciusad2004
01-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Not quite. Thanks to the way Macs, OSX and Vista work, you can't get them to run on the same machine without some pretty major faults. One day hopefully these things will be ironed out.

Really? I wasnt aware of that ... Ill have to look in to it... I wanted to get a laptop before school (i made a thread about it) and i was planning on getting a macbook pro and dual booting os x and windows vista simply because it seems in a college environment windows would be almost a necessity. I might not want to get a mac if i cant run windows vista properly.

As much as I love OS X, The world runs on windows.

ReignInPain
01-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Its becasue of Mac's EFI being incompatible with Microsoft's BIOS. Although Apple's Bootcamp: http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ aparently deals with this problem.

As far as I can make out. Bootcamp can't handle Vista yet, but it has been done through other means.

Airbozo
01-16-2007, 08:01 PM

I have a system older than my friends Mac and both my sound _and_ graphics blow his away. I also spent half of what he did on his g5 (think that is his model, I am not a MACificianado). It used to be that the MAC was superior, but that day is long gone. PC's have caught up and surpassed the mac's in both of these aspects. Ok That said, the MAC is still the platform of choice for recording studio's.

Oh and BTW, both Apple AND M$ _borrowed_ most of their windows ideas from the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center where both the mouse and "windowing" environment was invented/discovered. Originally called WIMP (Windows, Icons, Menus and Pointers). There was a lawsuit many many years ago where Apple tried to sue M$ for stealing their idea. The judge was tech savvy enough to know they were both full of **** and threw the case out.

ESX
01-17-2007, 01:23 AM
You know what, **** them both :P
Lets use Linux?

luciusad2004
01-17-2007, 02:46 AM
Linux might be fine for the technicaly inclined but i honestly don't think its ready for the average user. Given the choice id use something more refined. Although im sure in the next four years ill be getting very comfortable with it in college.

Im not saying Linux is bad and ill admit Ive never gotten in to it that much, but from what i hear its just not that polished. The typical user doesn't know how to work in a command line, or even want to for that matter. Ive also heard that its media functions are lacking (I could be wrong, and in fact id love for you to prove me wrong because i want to build a box for holding all of my music in some sort of lossless format and the operating system doesn't need to be anything fancy... just something to hold my files and have the ability to rip music from a cd and play it at a decent level of quality)

Plus... I don't know... I'm not against open source... but some times i get this vibe that some of these pro open source people think that EVERYTHING should be open source and free. Don't get me wrong I think open source has its place, and its a good movement, but I honestly don't see anything wrong with a company turning a profit from its work. Heck... I even think they deserve it. No matter how bad people may say OS X or Windows is, people did put work in to it and they deserve to be payed... Maybe not three hundred bucks a pop... but they still deserve something.

Again... I'm not anti open source, and I'm not trying to offend anyone here. Just my point of view as a Capitalist and hopefully a future software developer.

DaveW
01-17-2007, 06:47 AM
some of these pro open source people think that EVERYTHING should be open source and free.

About 80% of them do. If you want to work for free, by all means, I'm up for it. Just don't expect me to as well. (Unless it's for TBCS, which i'm happy to slave away for. You guys rock!)

-Dave

crenn
01-17-2007, 09:39 AM
I think Vista and Mac OSX on the same machine is actually going to be a semi good thing. I'm not a mac person, but I love the idea of having both OSs (not in the case of me where I have no use for macs) on the same machine, and if the interfaces are similar, then it's going to be easier for the average mac user to use vista! (Average mac user has troubles using windows).

But either way, I think the similarities were only brought up so someone could start a flame war. Think about it, does it matter if they look the same? Shouldn't it be the fact that it does what you want it to? But if you want my opinion, when I do upgrade to vista, I'm turning off the gadgets, waste of desktop space to me.

m4gnum
01-17-2007, 10:00 AM
If you get Parallels you can switch instantly between Windows/OSX (boot camp needs a restart). In the case of a MacBook Pro with the right add on you can slap the side of the laptop and it will switch between the two.

There are rumours that the release of the newest Mac OS in a month or so will include this, but I'm not sure.

I'm trying to convince my boss to get me a black MacBook so I can run both, it's a great price for a small laptop (ok, the white one would be cheaper, but I don't like it). And then I can get a sexy MacStyle (http://www.macstyles.com/inaction/index.htm)

ReignInPain
01-17-2007, 10:08 AM
I love the black MacBooks, they just look so damn good! What MacStyle would you get?

SgtM
01-17-2007, 10:46 AM
@ luciusad2004: I've been playing with Linux off and on over the last few weeks. Check out Fedora, or even easier, Ubuntu. Both of those can also be run as a web server. Not bad for free. BTW, they have GUI's. Keep in mind, that the computers I use most often have Windows XP, and 1 has Vista. I've just been experimenting with Linux because I've heard so much about it.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=ubuntu
http://linux-noob.com/review/fedora/fcrh/images/fcr5.png

Durrthock
01-17-2007, 10:20 PM
wow areo in vista inst even that cool. I just looked it up its really not worth a $600 gfx card for it.

SgtM
01-17-2007, 11:49 PM
wow areo in vista inst even that cool. I just looked it up its really not worth a $600 gfx card for it.

One of the first things I did was turn Aero off. It takes up wayyyyyy too much system resources.

luciusad2004
01-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Ive seen screenshots and it looked like it might get confusing if you have lots of windows open with transparency on.

Vista still looks much better than XP though... and i when i was browsing around on my dads install i was happy to see that they actually added some different color options other than "windows blue", silver and of all things that wierd green color.

Edit: Even though i consider OS X to be pretty good looking... i think it lacks customizablilty... You have a choice between two themes. Unless of coarse you want to install third party programs.

Crimson Sky
01-18-2007, 02:43 PM
I view the Mac vs PC debate purely from a modder's and computer enthusiast's perspective. PCs have put creative and technical power into the hands of everyday folks. The ability to pick parts off of a shelf and assemble a computer in less than two hours is something that Apple does not want you to have. Honestly, I can care less about an operating system. What I do care about is creative freedom.

slytherock
01-18-2007, 03:24 PM
I view the Mac vs PC debate purely from a modder's and computer enthusiast's perspective. PCs have put creative and technical power into the hands of everyday folks. The ability to pick parts off of a shelf and assemble a computer in less than two hours is something that Apple does not want you to have. Honestly, I can care less about an operating system. What I do care about is creative freedom.

Well said Crimson,
That's define exactly my state of mind. I use both platform, Mac at work and PC at home. Can do almost everything on both platforms, but I will never (exept if things change a lot) get a Mac at home. That said, Apple want not only to build the computers, but the OS is less costumisabe.

Airbozo
01-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Well said Crimson,
That's define exactly my state of mind. I use both platform, Mac at work and PC at home. Can do almost everything on both platforms, but I will never (exept if things change a lot) get a Mac at home. That said, Apple want not only to build the computers, but the OS is less costumisabe.

I also agree with Crimson. I have used many OS's in the last 3 decades (jeez, never thought about how long I've been doing electronics...) and I find without exception that the OS is just another tool to get the computer to do what you want. (this goes for cell phones too). UNIX is great for the enterprise and for situations that you need a LARGE system image. Linux is great for web servers and simple desktop setup's. Windows is a great productivity tool and (IMNSHO) the best platform to play games on (what I use my windows machine for the most). OSX is great for a productivity machine but not for playing games (mainly because of the selection), it is also great for graphics editing and sound recording etc. (although the sound editing products are probably shifting towards windows more every day).

slytherock; Since OSX is based off of FreeBSD there are a lot more cusomizable options than you would imagine. The trick is getting access to them since Apples' belief is that users do not want to be confused by too many options so they limit what you see. (BTW my neighbor is the lead manager for OSX and the co-founder of FreeBsd) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Hubbard

He has a really good story of the time he was invited to Redmond to meet Bill Gates about coming on board to head up the next iteration of windows. Got wined and dined for a week...

slytherock
01-18-2007, 04:16 PM
slytherock; Since OSX is based off of FreeBSD there are a lot more cusomizable options than you would imagine. The trick is getting access to them since Apples' belief is that users do not want to be confused by too many options so they limit what you see. (BTW my neighbor is the lead manager for OSX and the co-founder of FreeBsd) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Hubbard

I know, but you have to be UNIX geek to execute most of them. Anyway, that's not the point, I'm more Hardware/mod oriented, so...

luciusad2004
01-18-2007, 04:46 PM

I actually agree with you on this one... Even though i enjoy using OS X... there are some things about it that i may not like but when it comes down to it... there is almost nothing i can do about it.

Hardware wise... a mac isn't a bad machine you just have no control over what you get.

Also ... i don't see what it is that makes mac's so great for Media editing... what software can you get for mac that you cant get for PC.

slytherock
01-18-2007, 04:50 PM
I actually agree with you on this one... Even though i enjoy using OS X... there are some things about it that i may not like but when it comes down to it... there is almost nothing i can do about it.

Hardware wise... a mac isn't a bad machine you just have no control over what you get.

Also ... i don't see what it is that makes mac's so great for Media editing... what software can you get for mac that you cant get for PC.

Final cut, but personnaly, I hate it, AVID rules!!!

luciusad2004
01-18-2007, 05:21 PM
I guess what it is that bothers me is that everything is so automated that i feel like im losing control. Its like you just drop something in to a window (say iPhoto for instance) and the program does everything for you down to the organization of the files.

Now for the average person this might not be a problem... but i like to organize stuff myself. I like to know just were on my hard drive that picture of my girlfriend went to. The soccer mom down the street who just wants to show off her kids game winning shot to all of her friends might not care how the pictures are organized, or how everything under the hood of that program works, but i do. I like to go through my files manually and if anyone here has ever tried to do that with the way iPhoto works... its a major pain in the rear.

Dont get me wrong... its a decent, simple program for basic photo viewing, and the files are organized by the date they are taken, but its not practical if you want to go through them manually.

In summary. Macs would in my opinion be great for the average home user who just wants a simple easy to use system, but if you want control, or like to do things in a different way you will run in to difficulty (ha thats great... if you "think different" from the way apple thinks that you should think you might have trouble)

ReignInPain
01-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Apples latest advertising scheme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_m59ETRz2I

public_eyesore
01-20-2007, 12:05 AM
haha "oh and one more thing, apple sucks"

AJ@PR
01-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Apple Sucks. stupid video. I love how the measley 9% of the world's [Mac] computer users will blindly follow Apple as if Jobs is some techno guru shephard that will lead his flock of Mac-sheeple to product nirvana. All he is interested in is his bottom line, and floating boatloads of your money down his candy apple river--just like the Other Guy. Granted, the iPod is revolutionary--however the DRM shackles that Apple puts on your wrist with iTunes is unacceptable. This is not freedom, or technological enlightenment. I refuse to be a slave to his products. If it cant play MP3, its not for me. Put that in your OS and smoke it.

OMG. Yes!!!

I don't 'hate' Macs.... I just think that "Apple Sucks BIG time".

And them Apple users are always... ugghhh... whatever.
I completely agree on your point that Apple wants CLOSED hardware... and that sucks.
Also agree on your view of Jobs.
MacZealots are a crazy bunch.

The best is when a friend of mine told me that he runs OSX, so he's "really running Unix!"...
I just had to laugh in his face.
Made him feel bad.
But he deserved it.
Unix!

Airbozo
01-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Well he is "technically" right since OSX _is_ based off of FreeBSD (my neighbor, one of the founders of FreeBSD is also the lead project manager for OSX and beyond...). The thing is, a windowing environment is _not_ unix, and if you do not have access to the unix internals, you are just running another windows box...

AJ@PR
01-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Tell him to put in his OS and smoke it....

bahahaha

funniest thing in a long time..
Ha! yes...

Well he is "technically" right since OSX _is_ based off of FreeBSD (my neighbor, one of the founders of FreeBSD is also the lead project manager for OSX and beyond...). The thing is, a windowing environment is _not_ unix, and if you do not have access to the unix internals, you are just running another windows box...
I had read a /. post about this... and it was something very similar to what you just said.
That OSX was based on FreeBSD.

And your neighbor is one of the founders of FreeBSD?
Erm, with all due respect (and joking between us);
I think there's something in the water of your area that makes people geeks.
You.
Your neighbor.
I can only imagine all the other people...
HAHAH! :) :)

pwnt.
Yeap... that's our aBozo!

We can start our own Chuck Norris-like jokes about AirBozo...

AirBozo doesn't use a keyboard... he crosses the cables in direct binary sequence...

AirBozo doesn't use a monitor... he reads the video output signal on a oscilloscope.

AirBozo doesn't format drives... they format themselves when looked upon.

HAHAHAA BUahahahAHHAAa
Sorry guys... too much AutoCAD for me today.

:santa: :santa: (<-- I love that guy)

slytherock
01-26-2007, 04:54 PM
AirBozo doesn't use a keyboard... he crosses the cables in direct binary sequence...

AirBozo doesn't use a monitor... he reads the video output signal on a oscilloscope.

HAHAHAA BUahahahAHHAAa

:D The first one killed me. I needed that laugh :D thx

Airbozo
01-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Ha! yes...

I had read a /. post about this... and it was something very similar to what you just said.
That OSX was based on FreeBSD.

And your neighbor is one of the founders of FreeBSD?
Erm, with all due respect (and joking between us);
I think there's something in the water of your area that makes people geeks.
You.
Your neighbor.
I can only imagine all the other people...
HAHAH! :) :)

In my neighborhood of ~20 houses, 5 of us are full fledged geeks, 2 are wannabe's. My SO found out how many geeks we have living in Boulder Creek when she was a recruiter. She met so many people living up in our area working in the tech field it scared her (she is geekaphobic)

Yeap... that's our aBozo!

We can start our own Chuck Norris-like jokes about AirBozo...

Who needs input devices? I just lick my fingers and hold the bare PS/2 cables
Back in the late 90's I had a direct connection to my optic nerve wired to a s-video connector hidden under my hairline. Going in for the direct audio connection next month...
Hell I used to think HD's saw me coming and instantly developed stiction...
HAHAHAA BUahahahAHHAAa

You guys crack me up.
My neighbor Jordan (originally from Scotland!) http://people.freebsd.org/~jkh/

DaveW
01-26-2007, 07:11 PM
My neighbor Jordan (originally from Scotland!)

See Crimson? It's not just me :p

...I want a shot at this:

AirBozo doesn't ride ponies, he rides pwnies.

Ok, i'll leave it to the pros. :D

-Dave

Slug Toy
01-26-2007, 11:51 PM
lets just cut out the middle man here... Airbozo IS a computer. not only that, he has an unlimited optical connection that bypasses ISP's and connects directly to the internet itself. how? the connection runs to the center of the earth and fans out to every computer in the world.

ReignInPain
01-27-2007, 05:45 AM
Does that leave him without the ability to love?

DaveW
01-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Airbozo doesn't have time to love. He's too busy trying to figure out what this whole '42' business is all about.

(Hope that one's not too obscure... ;) )

-Dave

Airbozo
01-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Airbozo doesn't have time to love. He's too busy trying to figure out what this whole '42' business is all about.

(Hope that one's not too obscure... ;) )

-Dave

...SEP...

Durrthock
01-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Do you HAVE to have an 8800 to run areo or is it just recommended.

Redundant
01-28-2007, 01:03 PM
No, you don't need that good of a video card to run the Aero theme. Where did you see that it was recommended? lol Even a 6000 series card should be able to run aero. If it couldn't, no one would buy Vista! It is recommended to have at least 1gb of RAM and a ~1.2 Ghz processor though.

.Maleficus.
01-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Aero recommends a 128MB 3D card I think. You don't need and 8800 though.

Durrthock
01-28-2007, 10:35 PM
so with a 6800 I can run the 3d desktop??
And I can install an oem on a computer with xp on it already right.
And It supports xp games right.

.Maleficus.
01-28-2007, 11:21 PM
so with a 6800 I can run the 3d desktop??
And I can install an oem on a computer with xp on it already right.
And It supports xp games right.
Yep.
Yep.
Yep.

Vista has it's own "My Games" thing now. It's pretty fancy.

tybrenis
01-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Nudge.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6266

Ichbin
02-06-2007, 08:59 PM

Creative Zen W is the PERFECT PERFECT solution to both Zune and Ipod Woes. I love my Zen. And its so openended!

Durrthock
02-07-2007, 11:28 PM
I use and ipod but I fu**ing hate apple
go figure

OvRiDe
02-08-2007, 02:41 AM

Holy Cow!! Steve must read this site!! Looks like you may have swayed him Crimson!! :D

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/06/a-letter-from-steve-jobs-on-drm-lets-get-rid-of-it/

Redundant
02-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Holy Cow!! Steve must read this site!! Looks like you may have swayed him Crimson!! :D

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/06/a-letter-from-steve-jobs-on-drm-lets-get-rid-of-it/

And then the RIAA doesn't know how to read it... :rolleyes:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/07/riaa-misreads-jobs-open-letter-on-drm-thinks-hes-offering-to/