PDA

View Full Version : Install an OS onto a PS2 Slim?

Zephik
01-17-2007, 04:37 AM
I want to turn my wooden Risk box into a computer. But I don't have anything small enough to fit inside ...except for a PS2 Slim. Is it possible to install an OS onto a PS2 Slim? Mod Chip maybe?

DaveW
01-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Linux i believe.

-Dave

Zephik
01-17-2007, 06:44 AM
Kind of think of it, I thought I heard something about installing Linux onto one of these? Isn't that true? **lol Dave you have very odd timing. ^_^

Hmmm, I don't know if I want to go the Linux route again though, left some pretty ugly scars the first time around... But I tell you what, it would be cool to set this up as a mini server for myself and maybe a few friends. ...if thats even possible with either a PS2 or Linux. I thought I heard something about Linux not being a good server for Windows Users?

If this isn't "do-able" (for windows) and you know it, then just say it and save me some time. I'll figure something else out. lol I mean, I have this computer that I am on now, then I have MY rig which only needs a HD and a HF, then I have my MicroATX motherboard w/ 2.8Ghz P4 processor and a stick of RAM which I can use sometime down the road in case I need it for something. Such as a small server solution for whatever my needs may be.

.Maleficus.
01-17-2007, 08:45 AM
It is quite possible for and Xbox (I'm in the process myself, just need an Action Replay...$) and a PS3 (I have a Linux U&D magazine with the PS3 on the cover, that being the top story) though I have no idea if it's possible on a PS2. Give me a minute.

Edit: ...Duh. Brain fart. I completely forgot that there is an actually PS2 Linux Development Kit (http://playstation2-linux.com/faq.php). But don't get your hopes it. It's pretty damn expensive, and it's no longer in production. It is permanently sold out in N.A. and is only available in Europe, Middle East, and Africa.

Edit 2: As far as I can tell, no, it is not possible. The installation requires a hard drive, and from what I've read, that's what the Slim is lacking.

Zephik
01-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Well thats a bummer... Hmmm...

I could still do it I guess for a Linux rig. But what would I use it for? Any ideas?

Dem Pyros
01-17-2007, 05:03 PM
From what i believe: The motherboard of the PS2 slim still has the ability to hold a hard drive. However as their is no network adapter (because there is one built in) i think that you have to custom solder the IDE cable to the motherboard (no easy task).

And then from there it can run linux

.Maleficus.
01-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Well thats a bummer... Hmmm...

I could still do it I guess for a Linux rig. But what would I use it for? Any ideas?
Ummm... A desktop? I guess I don't see anything that Linux does any better than Windows (with the exception of a LAMP server; Windows can't do that at all :p L for Linux, not for Windows).

... You could learn Python.
I don't know.

public_eyesore
01-17-2007, 10:42 PM
yea, but if you run linux you get 5 "1337 points"

Zephik
01-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Snowfire -

If a person like me wanted to purchase your mATX + proc + ram how much would you charge, with shipping to area code : 63131?

PM me if you would consider it!

-Jeremy

lol You wouldn't want this one. Here are two reasons right off the back.

1. It was made by Dell.

2. It has no GPU slot, only three PCI.

3. No SATA.

Well okay, that was three reasons, but you get my point. It's more useful to me to keep it than to sell it. I wouldn't be able to charge someone more than fifty bucks for the combo, which is why I wouldn't do it lol.

From what i believe: The motherboard of the PS2 slim still has the ability to hold a hard drive. However as their is no network adapter (because there is one built in) i think that you have to custom solder the IDE cable to the motherboard (no easy task).

And then from there it can run linux

I don't even have a soldering tool. ...I could improvise! LoL

yea, but if you run linux you get 5 "1337 points"

haha, 1337 points are good for bragging rights. But thats about it. :p

But I might as well, at least it would give me something to do in the meantime. I think I'm going to hold my little brother ransom until my parents pay me back. lol

public_eyesore
01-18-2007, 02:43 AM
what are you talking about?!?!?! NOT WORTH ANYTHING?!?!? I'm looking at my "1337 points" magazine and for a hundred points you could score a russian mail order bride. PFFFFT thats what Im saving up for!!!!!

Zephik
01-18-2007, 02:53 AM
RUSSIAN MAIL ORDER BRIDE!?!?! I'm on top of it!!1

...just 95 more points to go, then, I can be married for 5 hours and lose half of everything I own. I feel sorry for whoever I get to marry, cuz I don't own ****. lol

Try typing in Russian Mail Order Bride into google... lol good times, good times.

public_eyesore
01-18-2007, 02:58 AM
can you do a custom install of gentoo? if so thats an automatic 50 points

BTW isn't it 10 years not 5 hours? idk but I thought if you brought someone into the country by marrige that you were obligated to them for 10 years ***couldn't find this in the samll print of my 1337 mag

Gohan
01-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Get the HD ComBo

http://www.hdcombo.com/cgi-bin/hdcombo/site.pl

Zephik
01-19-2007, 01:03 AM
Get the HD ComBo

http://www.hdcombo.com/cgi-bin/hdcombo/site.pl

I've was looking at that the other day and was thinking about it, but I have so many other things that I want to get right now. I have $140, which doesn't go very far. I'm thinking modding supplies (which I am dying to have $85, it would come insanely close to finishing my current "build") and maybe a dremel if I have enough left over.