PDA

View Full Version : 670,616,629 mph

SgtM
01-18-2007, 09:53 AM
That's the speed of light. I was talking to a friend last night who was telling me that his co-worker is getting this new service from Verizon that will offer him up to 30 Gbps (yes, gigabits per second). I said "that's impossible to do over twisted pair copper! It would have to be fiber. your friend better check his info again." I highly doubted that laying fiber to residential users would be cost effective to the TelCo. As it turns out, Verizon has already layed fiber in his area (Cleveland Ohio), and they are planning to expand. I looked it up on Verizon's site this morning. The statement is partially true. Verizon IS offering fiber connections to end users. However, the max bandwidth they are offering is 30Mbps down, 5 Mbps up for $179.95/mo with Free installation. Supposedly, the installation includes a Cisco 1600 router that can be rented or bought from the carrier. I told him that I want pictures of the install, and screenshots from a bandwidth test. Here's a link for more info. (http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerfios/packages+and+prices/packages+and+prices.htm)

ESX
01-18-2007, 09:58 AM
30MBps? thats a lot! (compared to my 1.5.... or so I think).

sirkillalot617
01-18-2007, 12:13 PM
err guys he said
30 Gbps (yes, gigabits per second)

Airbozo
01-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Much faster than my 8mb comcast connection (I only pay for 3).

I do know there are fibre optic cables running in my area. They string them up every time they are out to repair the lines or fix something. Miles of fibre optic cable, sitting idle...

ReignInPain
01-18-2007, 12:16 PM
err guys he said

He also said 30mbs was all its capable of right now (or all verizon are offering)

sirkillalot617
01-18-2007, 12:20 PM
oh sorry i didnt read it probebrly

Zephik
01-18-2007, 12:33 PM
670,616,629 ...666 is all I see. THE SPEED OF LIGHT IS THE DEVIL! No but really, thats kind of funny how each set of numbers starts with a 6? Why is that? Any reason or just chance?

I think its freaking crazy how there is miles upon miles upon miles of fiber optic cables running through out America. I wonder just how many miles there is of it?

DaveW
01-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Any reason or just chance?

It's also known as 3*10^8m/s. Isn't it strange that it works out at exactly 300000000metres/sec? Or is it just the fact that we've applied this specific number to something? Remember, number's don't exist. They're just an abstraction and a way to relate things to each other. There's no such thing as a 'devil number'.

-Dave

intergalacticman
01-18-2007, 06:36 PM
It's also known as 3*10^8m/s. Isn't it strange that it works out at exactly 300000000metres/sec? Or is it just the fact that we've applied this specific number to something? Remember, number's don't exist. They're just an abstraction and a way to relate things to each other. There's no such thing as a 'devil number'.

-Dave

hahaha

AKA_RA
01-18-2007, 07:38 PM
thats just not fair ><

makes my 6mb/s line look like dial-up

Slug Toy
01-18-2007, 09:17 PM
It's also known as 3*10^8m/s. Isn't it strange that it works out at exactly 300000000metres/sec? Or is it just the fact that we've applied this specific number to something?

not to be picky or anything... but its not exactly 3x10^8 m/s. its actually closer to 2.998x10^8 if you go with 4 sig figs. sure... a difference of .002x10^8 m/s right? keep in mind that it equates to a 200000 m/s difference, which is enough to be significant.

tybrenis
01-18-2007, 09:28 PM
not to be picky or anything... but its not exactly 3x10^8 m/s. its actually closer to 2.998x10^8 if you go with 4 sig figs. sure... a difference of .002x10^8 m/s right? keep in mind that it equates to a 200000 m/s difference, which is enough to be significant.

Not to be lame or anything... but who cares?

Yeah, there are a lot of idle fiber optic cables laying about in America right now. But just you wait - give it 15 years and they'll be out installing them like nuts, building up systems etc.

30 mb/s is pretty crazy. I have the fastest comcast cable I believe, and I'm not entirely sure how fast it is. It's fast as anything, but forget 30mb/s.

Ironcat
01-18-2007, 09:41 PM
You want an even better example of how sick fast it actually is?

186,000 miles per SECOND!

DaveW
01-19-2007, 06:27 AM

I am aware of that, i have studies Physics at University. But my point still applies-we could work on an octal number system, where instead of 9, we had 11. Then everything would be different, but the relations would still apply. Numbers are just numbers. They have no meaning bar what we give them.

-Dave

DRece
01-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Oh my, please keep the physics math down, some of us are just simple Country folk. "We all yall her' in country, yall math wizards keep numbars to 'erselfs", well actually all joking aside, lets no discuss math. I hated math in school, yet my wife loves it, go fig. Yes, it does explain the speed of the Internet connection though, thank you all for expanding the minds to the ever changing technology.

Airbozo
01-19-2007, 06:17 PM
My wife hated math and I love it. Now my wife is a credentialed math teacher and likes it AND is great at teaching it. My mom handed me a "Tricks with numbers" book when I was about 8 (a college text). Since then I usually got a's in math, except when they wanted me to show my work. They did not understand all the tricks I was using so my "work" was always right, but never matched what anyone else did or what they taught us.

Now I rarely use any high level math.

AJ@PR
01-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Sooo... now that we're into speed of light....

Picture a blackhole...
The 'event horizon' is the boundary that, once passed on approach to the blackhole's center, there's no turning back.
It "sucks" you faster than the speed of light.
Ok... so my question::::
Say we're standing on a looong plank of wood....
Heading towards our friendly neighborhood blackhole...
When we pass the even horizon, we're moving @ the speed of light towards the center...
So, what happens if I start walking on top of the plank, towards the center?... would I be going @ 186,000mi/s + 4ft/s?
Impossible!!!!
Or is it?

Any sense?
Please disregard if... well... :)

meticoeus
01-26-2007, 05:19 PM
That is where the theory of relativity comes into play. As it happens, when things with mass move at high speed (really close to the speed of light), it has bizarre effects on space-time. So even if you falling into a black-hole, you would never be falling as fast as speed of light (actually, any light you saw falling would still be going the speed of light relative to you). We have learned that even gravity of large objects, like planets and stars, have an effect on the space-time around them.

The effect from the Earth should great enough that they must occasionally re-synchronize GPS satellites, but is still on the order of nanoseconds difference per year, or somewhere in that range.

Scotty
01-26-2007, 05:58 PM
That sucks i have 2mbs, the highest in England is like 16mb/20mb cus England sucks!