PDA

View Full Version : ATI Vs. Nvidia

Mitternacht
01-18-2007, 02:19 PM
ATI, Nvidia. Both have pros and cons. I'm more for ATI because of Crossfire, and my mobo supports crossfire, which I may eventually do. So, ATI, or Nvidia?

sirkillalot617
01-18-2007, 02:59 PM
you do know we will never come to an agreement on this nvida for me

Mitternacht
01-18-2007, 03:13 PM
I know, just checking to see the percentage of people that prefer ATI and Nvidia.

Airbozo
01-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Ati for my windows machine, but nvidia for my linux machine (better linux drivers). I got hooked on ATI due to the great support I have received from them throughout the years. I have had less than stellar support from nvidia in that time.

ATI even replaced a 9700 pro, that I got at a discount from Fry's. Turns out Fry's should have never sold me that board without a full system attached to its gold fingers, so it was not covered by ATI support. They replaced the board for free (even paid shipping) when it started getting artifacts after 6 months... Never had an issue with them since.

Jonny Axehandle
01-18-2007, 06:54 PM
ATI and nVidia are Coke and Pepsi. Same thing, but we like one more for some unknown reason.

ATI for me. Mainly because of Crossfire.

Crimson Sky
01-18-2007, 08:39 PM
I have used both brands in many, many machines. Only the ATI's have had catastrophic failures, time and time again, and several DOA's . Mostly RAM failure. just my two cent.

.Maleficus.
01-18-2007, 10:01 PM
nVidia for me. I have an ATI card right now (X1600PRO) and it's ok, and it runs all that I need it to do, but I still like my old eVGA 6600GT AGP better. I think it's actually faster than my ATI right now.

Mitternacht
01-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Right now I'm using a Nvidia card, a GeForce 6500 just so I can have video for my computer, but later I plan on a crossfire setup between 2 Radeon X1600's, and my parent's Compaq is running a 2 Ghz Athlon XP 2800, 1 GB of DDR, a Soundblaster 24-bit 7.1 sound card and a Radeon 9600 128 MB card and it plays Halo solidly.

Ronyx
01-18-2007, 10:17 PM
nVidia, proud makers of the 8800GTX
The lag killer card =]

slytherock
01-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Will never go into ATI again. Use to love them, but for video editing, Nvidia rules.

Zephik
01-19-2007, 01:27 AM
I like ATI just slightly more because of their cool product names ...like X1950XTX! lol How lame is that? Thats like when your watching the super bowl with you girlfriend and you ask her which is her favorite team (stupid question to ask you gf) and she says blah blah blah. You ask her why? She says she likes the colors of that team more! LoL

public_eyesore
01-19-2007, 01:45 AM
nvidia, better drivers and less failures

simon275
01-19-2007, 01:57 AM
When it comes to bang for your buck ATI rules the roost with that cut down X1950 card.

But for a better platform as well as a better system of putting cards in parallel (SLI) NV comes out on top for me.

klingelton
01-19-2007, 08:24 AM
EDIT: I prefer Dr. Pepper though... so where does that leave me?

matrox?

klingelton
01-19-2007, 08:32 AM
apologies for the double post but here's my reasons!

ATI because of the sheer power and innovation of their cards. I used to have nvidia until the fx5200 which was a terrible card, to say that it was supposed to be so much better than the mx440, the upgrade wasn't worth it and it had such poor functionality.

now i know that nvidia have made leaps and bounds since, and what really impresses me about nvidia is the stability and portability of their drivers.

However, ATI just build incredibly powerful cards at a reasonable price. I don't think i could ever go back to nvidia!

also someone mentioned about SLI vs crossfire. I'd assumed that it was loosely the same system, and i've heard that they both give negligable increases in video fps and performance anyway.

can someone also inform me if the x1950xtx is a dx10 compatible card (i don't think it is, but a friend informed me that it was, i think he's wrong!)

coke vs pepsi is a good analigy, however i prefer american muscle cars vs european sports cars. they both do roughly the same speeds, how they get there is another matter. the american muscle cars power their way their without much finesse, where the european sports cars glide there in comfort and silence!

DaveW
01-19-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm running an ATI card with twin monitors. I wish i bought a nVidea. If you have or plan to run twin monitors, you need nVidea, ATI's twin monitor support is absolute balls, despite hydravision.

-Dave

Ronyx
01-19-2007, 10:22 AM
I just love the fact that the 8800GTX has support for two DVI dual monitors. That's a + in my books, even tho i don't use dual monitors lolz.

slytherock
01-19-2007, 10:37 AM
I just love the fact that the 8800GTX has support for two DVI dual monitors. That's a + in my books, even tho i don't use dual monitors lolz.

Even my 6600GT have it :alien:

sirkillalot617
01-19-2007, 01:34 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm drool Dr pepper possibly the best drink ever

DaveW
01-19-2007, 02:25 PM

So do the ATI cards, but their drivers are poor.

-Dave

Mitternacht
01-19-2007, 02:25 PM
This is an interesting 50/50 matchup. Very close.

DaveW
01-19-2007, 04:32 PM
"Jack Daniels Single Barrel" Whiskey

Jack Daniel's isn't Whiskey, it's Bourbon. You want Whiskey? I'll show you some. ;)

-Dave

Mitternacht
01-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Jack Daniel's isn't Whiskey, it's Bourbon. You want Whiskey? I'll show you some. ;)

-Dave

SoCo and Yukon. :banana:

sirkillalot617
01-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey dave do you like black bottle whiskey when i went to scotland everyone was drinking it

DaveW
01-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Unfortunately i can't drink due to a medical condition.

-Dave

sirkillalot617
01-19-2007, 05:35 PM
oh sorry to here that

nil8
01-19-2007, 07:39 PM
I'm more loyal to ATI than my processor, which means I will probably be running AMD-only rigs from here on out.
I will occasionally build myself an 'opposite' rig, using the companies I rarely use. Right now I'm using intel and ATI.

As for ATI, their driver and customer support have gotten noticeably better than in years past. They've really had to get past the old stigma that plagued the rage series cards and the piss poor driver issues. Even the all-in-wonder units had better driver sets.

The only recent nVidia card I've owned was a geforce3, which died quicker than an ATI radeon 7500 that was struck by lightning and still functioned without issues.

Processor and graphics card choice is often a matter of opinion and pricetag. Competition stays around the same for both developers.
Dr. Pepper = Matrox or VIA or intel graphics. Take your pick.

I miss 3dfx. I was very loyal to them. I loved glide. I still run a voodoo5 on a pc.

simon275
01-19-2007, 09:43 PM

-Dave

http://www.filgifts.com/images/product/small/SingleMalt_Glenfiddich.jpg

Airbozo
01-19-2007, 11:27 PM

-Dave

http://www.themacallan.com/img/image_home.jpghttp://www.scotchwhisky.net/images/bots/laphroaig.jpghttp://www.scotchwhisky.net/images/bots/lagavulin.jpg

Gohan
01-20-2007, 12:02 AM
I like ATI better than Nvidia

Slug Toy
01-20-2007, 05:07 AM
i dont really have a preference either way, but ill tell you my observations.

nvidia is releasing their cards first. ati is answering with slightly more power. at the end of each generation, ati is left with the last and generally most powerful card on a per-GPU basis (meaning single GPU ati card vs single GPU nvidia card). the geforce 7 and x1000 series was a strange match up because we were looking at the 7950 vs the x1950 at the top end, and thats dual GPU vs single GPU which isnt a "fair" comparison. i think if you compared the x1950 to the best single GPU card of the 7 series, ati wins.

another thing to consider is the release dates of cards. seeming as nvidia gets started first, and ati has the top spot in the very end, it depends on what sort of performance lead you want and for how long. for example, you can get an 8800 now and be uncontested for a while, or you can wait until the end when ati brings out the x2950 i suppose it would be and that would keep you on top until the 9800 comes out from nvidia. so the biggest difference here is the time of release, but another side note to that would be that the first one out would be uncontested and therefore unproven in battle (and will assuredly be beaten), whereas the last one out would have the definite crown of the generation (assuming it does in fact beat everything else) and will only be beaten by the next generation of cards.

you know what? i dont even know what my original point was now... i cant even finish this idea train. ive derailed myself...

Zephik
01-20-2007, 06:25 AM
This is why I go with ATI at the end of the day... granted you have to wait while your friends rub it in your face, but its worth it. ^_^

http://www.short-media.com/extendednews.php?n=5447

DaveW
01-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys, rub it in. Whiskey, Whiskey, everywhere, and not a drop to drink. :(

-Dave

simon275
01-20-2007, 11:48 PM
The votes are tied 11 each way.

I Was thinking the main battles the two companies fight is actually in the mid range card section rather then the top end. While the top end cards are the most publicized few people buy them due to the large financial burden.

Most people buy midrange cards so NV and ATI try and get the best bang for buck. In these stakes I believe ATI is currently on top only just though.

Also ATI is going to be putting out some new revolutionary hardware in a couple of years now they have been bought by ATI.

isunktheship
01-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Crap I was a swing vote. Nvidia 12 || ATI 11

Personally I've used both, Nvidia less than ATI. I've had a few problems with my last 2 ATI cards, and so now I'm using Nvidia. I really love both companies, but currently I use Nvidia.

The way I see it, and others have mentioned this, Nvidia gets the product out the door fastest. ATI gets the power, but you have to be patient. Both are respectable companies with a fine line of products.

Also ATI is going to be putting out some new revolutionary hardware in a couple of years now they have been bought by ATI.
*AMD
I'm always on the fence for products as both ATI vs Nvidia or AMD vs Intel are really split down the middle. One year a company may be "better" than the other, but I will never be a hardcore fanboy and say "Yarhh me never be using the ATI". I look forward to seeing new ATI products as much as I look forward to AMD quad/octo-core. Right now I would put Intel and Nvidia ahead technologically, but that doesn't mean it's over for the competition. It's because of the competition that we have speedy advances in any field!

As Dave Chapelle once said, "Coke and Pepsi are the same, and I've done commercials for both. Pepsi paid me last, so... drink Pepsi!"

Why's all the rum gone?

bartvandenberg
01-21-2007, 12:54 PM
i vote nvidia, because not matter what card has more power, you can always count on nvidia to have there drivers in order. id rather lose 2 fps and have the card work all the time with everything than have the freakin' aggravation of finding a driver that works for this game, and then a patch for this game, and this app doenst work properly, and it only runs on this resolution... and so on and so forth. so.. nvidia wins for me everytime.

M@X@ CASE - freaks
01-21-2007, 05:09 PM
nVidia 4 life

sirkillalot617
01-21-2007, 05:21 PM
I agree nivida pushes ahead once again 8)

jdbnsn
01-21-2007, 05:58 PM
I have never owned an NVIDIA card, not because I don't like them but more like find a brand and stick with it until a need arises to swap mentality. So I have no refence to compare. I will say that in my experience with ATI: tech support is somewhat frustrating in the early stages, but have always come through at the end even if it means replacing the card (which I'm sure was not under warranty). ATI has had a dazzling approach to marketing, if you spent any amount of time reading the stuff on their website and looking at the pretty pictures you usually are foaming at the mouth for the latest and greatest GPU they are building. But historically they have had some weaknesses in delivery, it's either late, not quite as promised initially, or lacks proper driver support. But having said that, they do eventually get it worked out and the cards run great. As for quality, again I can't compare but I run two 1900's in Crossfire and it was a jaw-dropper. Granted it was hell getting the damn thing to work, but since then BF2 is mesmorizing.

ReignInPain
01-21-2007, 06:56 PM
This is a debate that will never be won by either side! Each have Pro's and Con's, each have loyal followers, and likewise 'haters'. Quite interesting to see how Nvidia just seems to pull ahead though. I'd like to see this poll on a bigger scale.

Ronyx
01-22-2007, 03:13 AM
this might not be an "exact" comparison but it seems to me like nVidia and ATI are like PC and Mac. PC is the bigger better giant which has become more accepted and more catered for whereas Mac is still a gem on it's own but isn't really that compatible. You get me? Lolz i don't think i get me =S

patthemodder
01-23-2007, 05:12 PM
i like ati and amd better, always have

xRyokenx
02-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Here's my two cents:

It doesn't matter how fast or how good of handling a car has, just how good the driver is, and how well he knows his vehicle. You could put anybody in a Ferrari, but that doesn't mean that they're going to win any races.

Me? I go with what works, and is affordable. My last CPU, an AMD, fried after maybe two or three months, so now, I have an Intel Dual Core... I like AMD, but if Intel works, then that's what I'll go with. I have a 6800XT, the board made by BIOSTAR. I read great reviews on it, someone else on here, I can't quite remember who, has one and likes it, so that's what I went with. So far, I haven't had any problems with the card, except for the heatsink that I may finally replace with the new one I've had for two weeks now, but what's a heatsink when you can easily replace it if you have the patience and basic know-how?

crenn
02-15-2007, 09:17 PM
I've used mainly NVidia, and the ATi I have used were only mobile..... and a couple years old. I prefer NVida rather than ATi, although since AMD has accquired them, it shall be interesting to see if ATi has finally done performance per clock.

EDIT: To make a point about that article with a 'pre-release' card..... I don't exactly trust it.... to me, it seems like a bunch of fanboys, until the card is released, I'm not going to hold my breath.

crazzyyredneck
03-02-2007, 01:50 AM
Ive Used Both Cards Over The Years. Personally I Perfer Nvida Because I See Better FPS Rates. Havent Had A Chance To Play With Many New ATI Cards. I Do Like The Fact That Many ATI Cards Are Alot Better With Actual Media Such As Movies, TV, ETC. Nvidia Has Usually Just Been Straight Gaming And Programs. But As Said Earlier In This Thread....Just Like Coke And Pepsi, Same Thing People Just Chose Different Ones For Unknown Reasons lol.

Durrthock
03-02-2007, 01:54 PM
I prefer Nvidia because of the dual monitor support. Really helps.

The boy 4rm oz
03-04-2007, 09:27 AM
I agree with ajutz21, I go with the best at the time of purchase. My curent Pc is a soc 475 AMD which i'm upgrading to a Core 2 Duo E6600, I don't really have any maufacturer preferances but I always buy my GPU and RAM from a trusted manufacturer, you cant go past the quality of Corsair and FXF or even BFG 9If you want to spend that much money) lol.

Maverike-prime
03-08-2007, 08:46 PM
I could really care less about any of the rendering capabilities of either manufacturer. In my main system I use an ATI because Nvidia doesn't make a Media capture card.

Maverike-prime
03-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm running an ATI card with twin monitors. I wish i bought a nVidea. If you have or plan to run twin monitors, you need nVidea, ATI's twin monitor support is absolute balls, despite hydravision.

-Dave

Really? My previous card was an Nvidia (I forget the model off the top of my head) and it practically died when I tried to run duel monitors. My Ati (an X800 All-In-wonder) lets me run 2 monitors and a TV with out question.

xRyokenx
03-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey Minty, you'll have to tell me how to unlock the other pipelines, etc. when my warranty expires and I'm on the verge of getting a newer card... it would be nice for this to hold me over better... especially with me on the verge of getting Oblivion...

xRyokenx
03-09-2007, 02:17 PM
I uninstalled Rivatuner right before lunch. I'll screw around with all that when I'm about to get a new card, or when I have professional help. Will our card(s) play Oblivion on max graphics with the stock settings? Or at least medium on 1280 x 1024?

simon275
03-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Rivatuner is an excellent program you can use it to turn a 6200 into a 6600 as well as a 6800 into a 6800 gt by just unlocking few pipelines.

xRyokenx
03-10-2007, 12:01 AM
I just got Morrowind, that game is fun, but somewhat creepy at times... I'll take note of the grass then, it prolly has 3D grass or something dumb like that... hopefully I'll be getting it soon... but maybe I should beat Morrowind before playing Oblivion, ahh, whatever...

Silenced_Coyote
03-10-2007, 02:58 AM
There isn't a story connection between Morrowind and Oblivion so you don't have to wait and beat Morrowind first. But I don't know how your 6800XT will handle it though.

Silenced_Coyote
03-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Well I wasn't sure how high he likes his settings.

I like having the grass on. Looks great.

xRyokenx
03-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Well, I've become sort of addicted to not having great graphics (but seriously, the better the graphics, the better it is... kinda), but having the settings on "high"... don't ask me why, I used to have to put it on low all the time, but no more! Yes! New awesome gaming PC... now to see if I can't get a couple gigs of RAM from someone...