PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh IIcx turned into pc?

DRece
06-05-2005, 03:20 AM
I have a problem with this idea as how to fit an A7N8X-X motherboard within the apple IIcx case. I am thinking that alot of cutting will be done. I have thoughts of cutout the back and install a window, but is it possible to fit a hdd, a cd-rom, psu, floppy, and all the wiring inside the box? Here are pics to help visualize what I am asking.

The Apple Box

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/DRece/appletop.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/DRece/applefront.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/DRece/appleback.jpg

I can post the A7N8X-X if it is needed. :)

AKA_RA
06-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Anything is possible. With enough time and effort you could easily fit everything you wanted into that case. How you do it is completely upto you though. my suggestion would be to start with some sort of motherboard mount. I looked up this A7N8X-X you refered to, looks like its a standard ATX, so you might just try to take the motherboard tray out of another case and fit that along the back of the case you want to use. Keep us updated, I cant wait to see some results.

DRece
06-06-2005, 01:21 AM
I did not know if this question should be posted as a new thread or if this question has already been posted, but anyway here is the question. This case contained alot of notches and other plastic nic nacs that are interfering with my plans, " What tool or tools should I use to remove these blimishes that are inside the case? ".

Zeus
06-06-2005, 01:29 AM
Tnt?

DRece
06-06-2005, 01:30 AM
I felt this question need to be posted seperately as it is a separate (sry if spelled wrong) topic. So the topic being as titled . . .

I am unsure of the outside looks of this case since I have studied the FANTASTIC job done to the hp case to make the HP resurrection II. I need help from the forum-eers to tell me what everyone thinks.

"Should I paint the outside to look a different color or something along those lines or should I try to keep the looks of an Macintosh IIcx as much as possible to make for a great disquise (sry again if spelled wrong) of an mac-like machine?"

Zeus
06-06-2005, 01:31 AM
you could use a dremel or a file

DRece
06-06-2005, 01:32 AM
Tnt?

Thats for when I begin to hate the case and take it outside, or have some chemical fire or what not. :P

Zeus
06-06-2005, 01:32 AM
I felt this question need to be posted seperately as it is a separate (sry if spelled wrong) topic. So the topic being as titled . . .

I am unsure of the outside looks of this case since I have studied the FANTASTIC job done to the hp case to make the HP resurrection II. I need help from the forum-eers to tell me what everyone thinks.

"Should I paint the outside to look a different color or something along those lines or should I try to keep the looks of an Macintosh IIcx as much as possible to make for a great disquise (sry again if spelled wrong) of an mac-like machine?"

personally I would stay with original color scheme. that would make it so it is more obvious that it used to be something other than what it is

DRece
06-06-2005, 01:34 AM
you could use a dremel or a file

What about any small saws? I hear sometimes ppl speak of something like, so would there be one for plastic?

Zeus
06-06-2005, 01:35 AM
you should not need a special one for plastic. It is softer than whatever the blade is originally for

DRece
06-06-2005, 01:36 AM
you should not need a special one for plastic. It is softer than whatever the blade is originally for

Thanks Zeus

Zeus
06-06-2005, 01:48 AM
you are very welcome

Xato
06-06-2005, 03:21 AM
As for the colour scheme, if you want it to be a diguised object mod... (new pc in old mac) then leave the scheme the same... If you wanted it to just look awesome, then yeh, repaint. Beige = BLARF!

DRece
06-09-2005, 01:29 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/DRece/applelayout.jpg

Here are the drives and psu going into the apple case, do you ppl think that I should hide them on top or try inside? If you think I should hide them on top, should I use plexi or find bezel plastic?

Xato
06-09-2005, 01:56 AM
Well it depends, will there be room to put the drives inside the case along with the motherboard? If so, i'd try and get them inside... as long as it didn't dagerously hamper airflow...
If they go on top, i'd suggest keeping with the mod theme.. So i'd suggest a squarish plastic mount in the same colour as the case. But ofcourse its up to you.

DRece
06-09-2005, 02:00 AM
Well it depends, will there be room to put the drives inside the case along with the motherboard? If so, i'd try and get them inside... as long as it didn't dagerously hamper airflow...
If they go on top, i'd suggest keeping with the mod theme.. So i'd suggest a squarish plastic mount in the same colour as the case. But ofcourse its up to you.

Thanks. I think I will try putting on top, thus to better airflow for my motherboard.