PDA

View Full Version : CPU temp on LCD display

Malaktix
06-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Is it possible to put a temperature sensor on the CPU to get a reading on a LCD screen on the front of my case?

If so, where should I put the sensor for an acurate reading?

CPU temp would be a lot more useful than case temp.

Xato
06-05-2005, 10:05 AM
I beleive that there is usually an inbuilt CPU temp reading available through BIOS...
To check for this, go to bios... (press del at startup - just in case u didn't know :D)
and have a look in the PC health section, or just have a hunt around for CPU temperatures. If there's one there then you should be able to get software for an LCD which displays that reading, along with other cool readings.

An external temperature sensor would be quite innaccurate for the kind of readings you would want. If you hae one of those cases that has a little temp gage on the front and u want it to display CPU temp, i'm not to sure how you could go about it... it might take some more specific modding.

Can anyone else elaborate on my hazey explanation?

Malaktix
06-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Yeah the LCD screen is hooked up to a sensor, it's not a programmable type so I guess if I wanted to get the CPU temp I'd have to fork out for a programmable LCD screen?

BTW, I already have software which displays the CPU temp.. But I'm just awkward, I want it on my case damnit!

cygnus_x_1
06-05-2005, 12:05 PM
would probably be easier to answer if we knew what lcd you are using. if it is just a digital thermometer with a probe, then you could modify your heatsink (drill into the base and insert the probe) to take readings. also depending on your cpu, you could modify it (by directly accessing the pin on the cpu) to take accurate readings.

inspiredbyasphalt
06-24-2005, 02:42 AM
hey i was thinking of putting an lcd screen on front of my comp too, just wondering what you would recommend if i did want to just take the reading that is in the bios through software or whatever, keeping in mind a poverty stricken budget!

Frakk
06-24-2005, 11:04 AM
there are digital thermometers available with lcd screens and two channels (2 temps you can measure) here it is: http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2404&Category_Code=220
you can read out the temps from the BIOS but those sensors are not accurate, and dont even think about modding your cpu and reading it from the pin. you will be left with a fried or cut in half cpu and i dont believe the guys at amd will give you 10/10 on it either. if you already have a software controlled lcd, your best choice would be to read it out of the bios if you dont want to spend some more on accurate thermal probes.