PDA

View Full Version : Please assist me in Linux Installation.

Doomfest
01-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Hi, I'm a frequent windows user. I want to change to linux. Any tips will be extremely appreciated. Thing is- I don't even know where to START installing linux! D: Help?

SgtM
01-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Which distro of Linux are you installing? I would suggest Fedora or Ubuntu as they are both GUI based, and not hard to work with. Basically, the installation is rather simple. Download the distro you want, burn it to CD, and then boot the computer from the CD just like you would a Windows install. Ubuntu takes 1 CD and Fedora takes 5. I am by no means a Linux guru.. I just started playing around with it myself. I'll be happy to assist in whatever way I can though.

Doomfest
01-22-2007, 12:39 AM
You have no idea how much help that is. :P I dont even know what distros are. How many linux distros are there? what exactly are they? Where can I get them? Thanks a lot. :D

SgtM
01-22-2007, 09:06 AM
www.distrowatch.com

Fedora: http://fedora.redhat.com/

Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/

I hope this helps.

edit: I almost forgot. If you choose Ubuntu, it will run off of the CD before you install it. That way, you can have a look around. If you choose to install it, there will be an icon on the desktop to start the install. You can also install a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) server with either distro. With a LAMP server, you have everything to effectively run a web hosting server. That's why I started playing around with it in the first place. Just something to tinker with and run a small intranet at home.

xmastree
01-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Yep, I recommend ubuntu too. I use it exclusively on my laptop.

As sgtm said, download the CD and boot from it.
(you do know how to burn an image, don't you? If not, see this (http://www.xmastree.34sp.com/ubuntu/burn))

Once you have it running (and you will, it's that easy), head over to the forums (http://ubuntuforums.org) and join us there (I'm xmastree there too).

Don't worry that it won't be able to play your mp3s right out of the box, the codecs aren't included for political reasons, but there's an easy fix for it.

Luke122
01-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Ubuntu rocks.. I've just started with Linux too, and I'm running dual boots with ubuntu and XP on my desktop (Karma), my laptop, and building a cluster at work with 8 old p3 systems.

Doomfest
01-22-2007, 05:31 PM
I've just downloaded Ubuntu. I'm dual-booting it as well. Later this afternoon I will try it (Still downloading some stuff) Thanks a lot for the help, guys! Btw- Does KDE or Gnome come with Ubuntu?

SgtM
01-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I've just downloaded Ubuntu. I'm dual-booting it as well. Later this afternoon I will try it (Still downloading some stuff) Thanks a lot for the help, guys! Btw- Does KDE or Gnome come with Ubuntu?

KDE

.Maleficus.
01-22-2007, 08:53 PM
KDE
Actually, Ubuntu comes with Gnome. Kubuntu comes with KDE. I personally think Gnome is better, KDE just kinda annoys me.

I haven't read like any of this, so if I ask something already stated, sorry :/.

Is this going to be dual-boot? I assume that's what it's going to be, since that's what most Windows users trying Linux do. Dual-boots are pretty easy, though you need free hard drive space, and I imagine that Windows is taking up all of your hard drive space. Here is a quick guide to dual-boots and if you're not dual-booting, just skip to the last part.

1. Free up some space on your hard drive. Defrag, using 3rd party software, and see what the hard drive looks like after that. If it needs it, doing it more times. Also, you need to resize your Windows partition. I don't know if Windows has a utility for doing this, and I'm too lazy to check, so just download some NTFS compatible resizing software.
2. Insert your LiveCD and reboot.
3. You will see lots of text and stuff about GRUB. If you don't know what that is, it is the boot loader that will let you choose between Windows and Ubuntu later.
3. ...DESKTOP! Isn't it shiny? If you so choose, have a look around. It will be slow, if you're used to Windows, almost unbearably. That's just because it's running completely off of the CD, it will speed up once it's installed.
4. When you're ready, click the "Install" icon. You will be taken to a set of install instructions.
5. If you've installed Windows, this will be a walk in the park. If not, just follow the on-screen instructions. It's pretty straight forward stuff.
6. !Tricky Part! You will now be at the partitioning setup, and if you were jumping ahead, are probably confused. Here is what you need. A linux-swap, a "/" and a ext3. Make the linux-swap like 1 gb, the "/" your Windows partition, and the ext3 the rest of the available space. Please note: I have done this once, and was very skeptical on my install. You can seriously screw your Windows partition if you do this wrong. To be extra sure, do a Google on dual-boots and see if I'm right. I believe "/" goes on the Windows, but I'm not 100% sure.
8. Click install. Let it do it's thing. If you are installing over Windows, then just have it install everything on the Windows partition.

Hope this works out for you and have fun learning Linux!
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! I'll help you out as much as I can.

Edit: xmastree had a good idea; join the Ubuntu Forums. It is an excellent place to find help. Also, I'm .Maleficus. over there too.

SgtM
01-22-2007, 10:46 PM
oops.. thanks for correcting me Mal. +rep

.Maleficus.
01-22-2007, 11:50 PM
Also, so you aren't completely lost after the install, here is a few useful tid-bits of information.

1. sudo. sudo will get you temporary root access. Use sudo in front of another command, such as "sudo apt-get install <package_name>"
2. apt-get install. This will be your main means of installing packages in Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a Debian derivative and that means it uses the same installation means.
3. sudo su. Complete and total rootness. 1337.
4. cd /file/path. If you ever need to go into a directory, this is how. cd, then the path to the directory. "cd /home/blah/games/file"

Those are my most frequently used commands. Do a Google for a complete list of commands and their uses.

Doomfest
01-23-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm stuck at the partitinioning part of the installation. Just one question and i'll be done with it: Does Linux work with NTFS partitions?

OvRiDe
01-23-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm stuck at the partitinioning part of the installation. Just one question and i'll be done with it: Does Linux work with NTFS partitions?

Not really.. you cannot install your OS on NTFS, but it will read NTFS partitions. Write support to NTFS is buggy and unstable, so NTFS partitions are mounted Read Only.

xmastree
01-23-2007, 07:04 AM
IMO, the best thing to do if you want to share data with read/write is to make a FAT32 partition just for data.

NTFS writing is possible, but AFAIK it's still not 100% stable. I won't risk it, since a failed write to your NTFS partition can bork your windows installation.

My own dual boot system had one 40GB drive, split 20/20 for XP and Linux, then two 80GB drives, (one IDE one SATA) for data such as media and photos.

Doomfest
01-23-2007, 07:39 AM
I haven't done this before, but is it possible to have a NTFS partition (windows) and a fat32 partition (linux) on the same hard drive?

.Maleficus.
01-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Yes, that is what I'm doing right now. I think that if you use the instructions I posted, it will give you that option in on of the install steps.

I take it you mean you're stuck freeing space on your hard drive? Have you already done that, or not? If not, then download some software, and you should have 2 chunks of hard drive space. 1 with Windows, one called "Unused" or "'Raw" or something like that. Then, during the install, you need to select the "Unused partition, and make another chunk out of that called about 1 gb using the "linux-swap" file type. Then, take the remaining chunk and use all of that and make it use the "ext3" file type. Then, select your Windows partition, and have it use the "/" file type. Then, it should work.

Bucko
02-04-2007, 10:38 AM
After getting the ****s with XP during my recent reinstall, I've decided to download Ubuntu and have a crack at it on my laptop. I don't use the lappy much, except when my main PC is down and I figure learning a different operating system is a good use of it.
I'm downloading Ubuntu now, and I'll have a play once I burn it onto a CD.

xmastree
02-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Just remember to burn it as an ISO, don't just copy the ISO file to the disc.

I'm sure you know how, but just in case...
http://www.xmastree.34sp.com/ubuntu/burn

Bucko
02-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Yes, I saw that. I'm reading up on what is needed for the install.

I've been playing with Red Hat at work a little lately, so I thought I may as well give this a go.

SgtM
03-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but what about a dual boot with separate hdd's? Would the install be the same?

Drum Thumper
03-05-2007, 04:38 AM
At first I was going to say yeah, but correct me if I'm wrong here--the MBR resides on the primary HD, and since that's the chunk of code that takes control from the BIOS, would both OS's have to be on the primary?

OR

Would a Boot Manager such as System Commander be able to handle having two (or more) OS's on multiple hard drives?

I thought this would be covered in the COMPTIA A+ Certification guide, but I'm not finding it...

SgtM
03-05-2007, 08:59 AM
It might be on the A+ for windows. I've done windows dual boots before.. piece of cake. I've never done a win/linux install though.

Airbozo
03-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but what about a dual boot with separate hdd's? Would the install be the same?

The install would be the same, except make sure to choose the correct HD.

As for any worries about the MBR, it only needs to be on the primary boot drive, even if you are doing a dual boot with different HD's, since the bios will transfer execution to the primary drive and the bootloader will direct the system to boot from either drive. Until recently I _always_ used a different drive for each OS and was even able to boot 4 different OS's.

Oh and for fixing the MBR (in case it gets dorked) you would use the following command from a dos prompt (or command prompt);

fdisk /mbr

This will "repair" a broken MBR on the _FIRST_ drive. Please use with caution! and do NOT use it on a good drive with an older boot floppy. This is why I make boot floppies from all of my OS's. I have a win3.11, win95, win98, winxpsp2, WinNT(3.5 I think), and of course my rescue disks from linux. I have used the win95 and win98 boot disks alot, but never the winXP ones (yet). You may never need them, but are a lifesaver if you do...

Drum Thumper
03-05-2007, 05:20 PM
As for any worries about the MBR, it only needs to be on the primary boot drive, even if you are doing a dual boot with different HD's, since the bios will transfer execution to the primary drive and the bootloader will direct the system to boot from either drive.

That's what I thought. Was going to test it out later this week, but thanks for the info!

I have a win3.11, win95, win98, winxpsp2, WinNT(3.5 I think), and of course my rescue disks from linux. I have used the win95 and win98 boot disks alot, but never the winXP ones (yet). You may never need them, but are a lifesaver if you do...

Good advice too! ALWAYS have boot disks handy, cause you never know when something is gonna get 'dorked'. I learned the hard way in high school about backups and whatnot. Not something I ever wish to happen to me again.

Nothing worse than pulling an all nighter cause windows decided to BSoD you as you hit the print button on your English Final and you didn't save it once.

Now before you say 'noob, why didn't you have autosave turned on' let me state that this happened to me in 1992 in MS Works--no autosave.

Good news is, I got an A+ on that final.

Drew
03-06-2007, 08:17 AM
****it. this is the third time I've tried to write this post. New ****ing keyboard and I keep presssing Ctrl instead of shift. What a ****in N00b.

If it dont work this time, I'm going back to bed.

Right.

I tried Ubuntu about a year ago, and binned it because I couldn't get my ethernet card to work.

But I found this yesterday.....

http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI5OCwxLCxoY29uc3VtZXI=

and it kinda gave me a hard-on to have another go (I like to be different and maybe I'll get a performance boost over using XP on the Uber-rig).

I'll re-post here if anything terrible or great happens, and I'm also on the ubuntuforums as Drew555..

Coupla questions for you clever buggers.....

Live CD seemed slow..because it's runnin off the CD? Because it's all in RAM?

Be faster on the HDD?

Any performance gains over XP?

The live CD was version 5.10, I've ordered 6.06 (Dapper Drake...gotta love the naming scheme they got going on...). reckon it's worth downloading the latest (Ver. 6.10)? Whats the benefit of the LTS (Long Term Support) version?

A forum's gotta be the best support in the world...

No doubt I'll have more questions in the future.

Peace out dudes.

Drum Thumper
03-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Coupla questions for you clever buggers.....

Live CD seemed slow..because it's runnin off the CD? Because it's all in RAM?
Yep. Most the add on programs (openoffice, frozen bubble, etc) still reside on the disc. And DVD or CDROM drives will always be slower than hard drives due to the way that they store and retrieve information.

Be faster on the HDD?
You'll see a huge increase in response time if you install to a hard drive.

Any performance gains over XP?
I'll leave this to the *nux experts.

The live CD was version 5.10, I've ordered 6.06 (Dapper Drake...gotta love the naming scheme they got going on...). reckon it's worth downloading the latest (Ver. 6.10)? Whats the benefit of the LTS (Long Term Support) version?

I was wondering the same--time to do some reading!

Hope this Helps.

Drew
03-06-2007, 03:52 PM
It's all gone horribly wrong :(:(:(

My own fault really, but I need a bit of help.

Right.

I downloaded the latest version and burnt the iso image to a cd-r. So far so good. but something went wrong... I got an 'I/O error reading the CD'. So I've obviously made a spoon of the burn. Never mind, I'll use the 5.10 version I've had for a year.

Oh no you wont. It was all going well, went past the 'erase everything' bit, then it all went a bit pete tong. While it was installing the base components, there was one (can't remember which) that wouldn't install properly and kept booting me back to a menu to pick which bits to do next.

So now I've got a PC that wont install Ubuntu 5.10.. Never mind, I'll reinstall Windows and wait until the Ubuntu 6.06 disks come in the post.

Oh no you wont.

Every time I boot from the XP disk, it goes through all the lovely blue loading screens, and then BSoDs on me, citing 'aproblem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer - IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL'.

What a bitch.

Now I can't install Ubuntu, can't install XP and am stuck using live versions of Ubunto or Knoppix. I can't re-burn Ubuntu 6.10 because the drive I wanna use to burn is being used to run the O/S and I wanna throw it all out of the window :(

I'm kinda hoping that someone has an idea so that I can get Ubuntu 610 re-burnt and installed.

I was thinking of maybe a mini O/S that I can install off of a 256Mb USB drive? Then while the O/S runs off that, I could use the CD drive to re-burn Ubuntu.

Hope some of this makes sense... I'm very tired...

Airbozo
03-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Try reseting the bios values to default and try windows again. And/or Ubuntu...

Drew
03-06-2007, 04:15 PM
I'll be back.

I hope....

If you never here from me again, send help.

Drum Thumper
03-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Every time I boot from the XP disk, it goes through all the lovely blue loading screens, and then BSoDs on me, citing 'aproblem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer - IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL'.

What a bitch.

This is almost always caused by faulty drivers. When you were installing XP, did you get the 'unsigned driver' window?

This could be caused by any number of items you've got installed (Modem, NIC, video, sound, etc).

What all do you have in your pci slots?

Edit: Also check to make sure that all your cables are securely connected. Could be something as simple as a loose cable.

SgtM
03-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Another thing to check is the file system. If XP didn't format the drive (full format) then you're going to have problems. If XP just refuses to format the drive, then try something like DBAN (http://dban.sourceforge.net/) to clear up the formatting issues.

**DBAN WARNING**
This program will absolutely destroy any data residing on the drive with extreme prejudice. Use with caution.

Drum Thumper
03-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Another thing to check is the file system. If XP didn't format the drive (full format) then you're going to have problems. If XP just refuses to format the drive, then try something like DBAN (http://dban.sourceforge.net/) to clear up the formatting issues.

**DBAN WARNING**
This program will absolutely destroy any data residing on the drive with extreme prejudice. Use with caution.

Sounds like my kind of program! LOL.

Drew
03-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Right.

Here's the plan.

I'll rip the PC down tonight, and make sure everything I need is screwed down tight, and anything I don't is binned.

Then I shall try out this DBAN thing, and see if it helps.

Right-o here we go.....

And DBAN uses extreme prejudice? Exactly what I'm looking for.

:edit:

Dunno if this changes anything...

When nothing else worked, I thought 'bollocks to it, I'll fire Win Me on it and go from there (I thought of Me 'cos its Fat32 and I believe thats what linux wants).

I booted to DOS with a start disk, ran Delpart, repartitioned and formatted.

If that disk 'aint blank now it probably never will be.

Now I can't even get Me to install. It's most of the way on, but when it comes to setting up my hardware it goes into a reboot loop (setting up hardware - reboot - setting up hardware - reboot etc. etc...). I'm starting to think this is hardware related, and not software.

The live CD linuxes run fine (I'm using Knoppix now) so I'm thinking HDD on the way out (or out already).

Whaddya reckon?

Drum Thumper
03-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Now I can't even get Me to install. It's most of the way on, but when it comes to setting up my hardware it goes into a reboot loop (setting up hardware - reboot - setting up hardware - reboot etc. etc...). I'm starting to think this is hardware related, and not software.

First off, take that ME disk and start using it as a coaster.

I'd agree with you on it being hardware related--sounds like conflicting IRQ settings somewhere.

I'd post more, but I gotta head to work--this'll give me something to think about later tonite when it's absolutely dead.

Drew
03-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Cheers Drumthumper, glad to be of assistance.

And the coaster....done.

It'll be an air rifle target by morning.

SgtM
03-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Ok.. I was just playing around with Partition Magic. It gives you the option to install an additional OS. I'm going to try that later.

xmastree
03-07-2007, 03:51 AM
(I thought of Me 'cos its Fat32 and I believe thats what linux wants).No, Linux wants some unpartitioned disk space. If you're sharing files between two OS's then FAT32 is better, but your Windows boot partition can be NTFS if you like.

And linux writing to NTFS is becoming possible.

Drew
03-07-2007, 06:51 AM
At the moment I just want an OS that I can have on my HDD, and not a live disk.

It's morning now, and I 'aint so tired. I'll have another bash at sortin this.

Drew
03-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Been bashing this bloody PC all day, and still no luck :(

I changed the IDE cable and replaces an old ISA sound card with a PCI one, cleared the CMOS and loaded all the BIOS defaults.

I was pleasantly suprised when Ubuntu 5.10 seemed to install fine (even if it seemed to take forever).
It told me to install a load of updates (like 209 of 'em), so I did.

Now it will boot to the greeter screen where you put in your username and password, then as I'm waiting for the desktop to appear, it hangs. And hangs. I left it for like an hour in case I was just being impatient.

I tried re-installing it, but the installer doesn't want to work any more.

What a larf, eh?

When I try to put on XP, I'm not getting IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL anymore, I got a new one..... BAD_POOL_CALLER.

WTF?

Any ideas people?

xmastree
03-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Now it will boot to the greeter screen where you put in your username and password, then as I'm waiting for the desktop to appear, it hangs. And hangs. I left it for like an hour in case I was just being impatient.Hmm... :think:
Gut instinct suggests it might be an xorg config problem, possibly an incorrect video driver, resolution or refresh rate.

When you say it hangs, have you tried switching to another virtual terminal using Ctrl-Alt-F2 ?
That will tell you if it really has hung or it's just the x server.

If that's the case, you'll need to get your hands dirty with some command line action, and a text based editor...

.Maleficus.
03-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Edit: I will read the thread before I post...

About the installer: Did you completely remove the old install, or are you trying to install over it? If you didn't remove it, do so, and try the install again. If you did remove it and it doesn't work, I suggest you try a newer release (Dapper, Edgy).

For XP: Is this a Grub error? Do you use Grub? I have a feeling you do, so you may need to edit the config file (I think Ubuntu uses menu.lst for it). When you get a working install (or boot the command line) in the terminal or booted command line, type "gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst". You should either get a new window with a text editor and the config file, or have it just appear on screen (depending on if it was accessed through X or not). For the Windows option, it should have something like this.

title=Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
That should tell it to boot Windows (if it even was a Grub error) and if that doesn't work, I don't know.

Drew
03-08-2007, 04:56 AM
It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!!!!!!!!!
:D:eek: :D:eek: :D:eek: :D:eek: :D:eek: :D:eek: :D:eek: :D:eek:

When you say it hangs, have you tried switching to another virtual terminal using Ctrl-Alt-F2 ?
That will tell you if it really has hung or it's just the x server.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Linux n00b, remember.

If that's the case, you'll need to get your hands dirty with some command line action, and a text based editor...

Sounds like fun.......

Is this a Grub error? Do you use Grub?

Looked like it for a long time, and I couldn't download the SuperGrubDisk file. I thought I was knackered. I reinstalled Grub from the live disk, but nothing happened. I was bummed, I was sure I'd sussed it.

Don't know how I managed it, but I buggered up the partitioning somewhere along the line (or the installer did).

I trawled ubuntuforums for hours, and found a fix that told me to reinstall, manually partition 3 partitions of different sizes, what to mount them to, and how they should be used.
However... they didn't mention whether to make them primary or logical...so I made them all primary, and when it couldnt find an active partittion I booted with the Me boot disk, ran fdisk and set partition 1 as active.

Et voila!

No doubt there will be future issues, but for now, thanks a million guys, and +reps all round!

Now it's just a case of having a play and figuring out how Ubuntu works..... then an upgrade to the latest release.

Drew

.Maleficus.
03-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Congrats on the working system. You'll find Ubuntu much more fun than Windows ever was. The Ubuntu Forums are a great place to find info.

Drum Thumper
03-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Gratz man, glad you got it working finally!

Drew
03-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Just upgraded (sucessfully) from 5.10 Breezy Badger to 6.06 Dapper Drake without any problems.

Dont think I'll bother going to 6.10 Edgy just yet... took about 3 hours to go to Dapper....

Drum Thumper
03-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah some of those install times are nuts. I've got SUSe 10.2 on my fileserver and it took almost a full day to download everything.

Drew
03-08-2007, 04:31 PM
OMFG

Happy with 3 hours now and will stop complaining.....

Airbozo
03-08-2007, 05:30 PM
You guys are wimps! :eek: My first Gentoo install took 3 days! About one whole day just to get things going, hands on the keyboard...

Drew
03-08-2007, 05:37 PM
OK, OK I was spoiled by Windows :p

Now I can't install flash..what a ****in n00b, eh?

Airbozo
03-08-2007, 05:39 PM
OK, OK I was spoiled by Windows :P

Now I can't install flash..what a ****in n00b, eh?

No, noobs don't even try...

I have had some difficulty installing flash on a couple of linux boxes. Had to do with some libraries not being where they were supposed to be.

SgtM
03-08-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm glad to hear Ubuntu is running for you. Are you dual booting now? I'm gonna be taking on a dual boot with XP Pro and Fedora 6 or Ubuntu tomorrow night.

Drew
03-09-2007, 08:43 AM
No, I'm not dual booting.

I had enough messing about with Grub already.... besides, I haven't got the HDD space for it (still running with a mahoooooosive 8gb....).

Perhaps I'll have a go when I get a bigger drive.. and I've got nothing to do for a few days......

Oh, and another working PC so I can get help..

Why Fedora 6? And what's the main difference between the Distros? The main one I found was that Knoppix seems to run a lot faster than Ubuntu - and of course it looks different (Knoppix was, for me at least, prettier).

Are you going to try out Beryl or Compiz? I'd like to, but I just haven't got the graphics power. Gotta be a good way to bugger up a fresh install...

Airbozo
03-09-2007, 12:38 PM
The _main_ reason I use fedora is hardware support. Fedora will support more hardware than almost any other distro (including the ones you buy from Redhat). Redhat uses fedora almost like a beta version of it's OS. Throw the support for new hardware in fedora, tweak it based on user feedback, then when the drivers are stable, integrate them into RedHat enterprise linux and sell to customers...

.Maleficus.
03-09-2007, 07:42 PM
You guys are wimps! :eek: My first Gentoo install took 3 days! About one whole day just to get things going, hands on the keyboard...
Too bad Airbozo, looks like I've got you beat. My first one (and only one) took a week; about 6 individual installs, all removed, and reinstalled, because I couldn't get it to boot. When I edited my fstab, I didn't realize the /dev/BOOT, etc. lines were uncommented, and I wrote the entire thing under it, leaving the /dev/BOOT lines, and since they were higher in the file, they got read, and, well, Gentoo doesn't like reading made up stuff. I got it working yesterday, and I'm working on getting all of my Xfce stuff how I want. It did teach me a lot about how Linux actually operates though :up:.

Airbozo
03-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Too bad Airbozo, looks like I've got you beat. My first one (and only one) took a week; about 6 individual installs, all removed, and reinstalled, because I couldn't get it to boot. When I edited my fstab, I didn't realize the /dev/BOOT, etc. lines were uncommented, and I wrote the entire thing under it, leaving the /dev/BOOT lines, and since they were higher in the file, they got read, and, well, Gentoo doesn't like reading made up stuff. I got it working yesterday, and I'm working on getting all of my Xfce stuff how I want. It did teach me a lot about how Linux actually operates though :up:.

Which stage did you use?

For the fastest kernel, stage 1 is the ONLY way to go, but it should come with a bottle of tums.

.Maleficus.
03-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Stage3. I read that Stage1 wasn't any different than Stage3, except it takes longer. And any longer than a week and I would have killed myself.

Drew
03-09-2007, 09:35 PM
That's what linux is all about....

People talking in fluent geek while the rest of us mere mortals look on in utter dumbfoundedness.

That's why I like Ubuntu, It seems to be no worse than DOS, and that's only when summat goes wrong (touch wood, not yet.... all going scarily smoothly.....)