PDA

View Full Version : Network setup possible?

Mitternacht
01-23-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm faced with a scenario similar to Snowfire.

On Wiedergeboren, I'm gonna install Server 2003. I'll also install XP Pro SP2 on my parents' Compaq and reinstall it on my Thinkpad. Now, I want to assign IP addresses from my PC to the others, but the wireless router also assigns the addresses. Is there a way to keep the router from assigning, and leave it to the DHCP?

My mobo has Dual Gigabit LAN. Here's the setup:

Modem-------Wiedergeboren(LAN port 1 in, LAN port 2 out)----------Router-----(wireless)------Compaq/Thinkpad
---------------------------------------------------------------------|
-----------------------------------------------------------(CAT 6 in DATA 1 Port)
--------------------------------------------------------------------.\/
-------------------------------------------------------------------Xbox

The first gigabit port is for internet to my soon to be server. The 2nd gigabit port is for the router. I'll be using CAT 6 wire to link to the Xbox and router instead of CAT 5 because I can make it, and we have a box of CAT 6 wire layin' around.

Airbozo
01-23-2007, 01:43 PM
You can specifically assign an address to a windows box, by using the network control panel. You need to make sure it is outside of your routers dhcp assignable address space. On most routers this is configurable. Once you specify a specific IP, the system will not contact the dhcp server for an addy. This also means you need to provide a gateway addy and a dns lookup addy. The gateway addy is usually the routers "internal" address and the dns addy is your providers dns #. You can get that info from the router or from your ISP.

I may have misread, but you can also turn off the dhcp assignment from the router (one of the options), and turn on the dhcp server on your windows box. I am not sure the specific location, but try in the server management area. (I used to know the location, but it has been a while since I mucked with that part of windows).

SgtM
01-23-2007, 02:30 PM
You can specifically assign an address to a windows box, by using the network control panel. You need to make sure it is outside of your routers dhcp assignable address space. On most routers this is configurable. Once you specify a specific IP, the system will not contact the dhcp server for an addy. This also means you need to provide a gateway addy and a dns lookup addy. The gateway addy is usually the routers "internal" address and the dns addy is your providers dns #. You can get that info from the router or from your ISP.

I may have misread, but you can also turn off the dhcp assignment from the router (one of the options), and turn on the dhcp server on your windows box. I am not sure the specific location, but try in the server management area. (I used to know the location, but it has been a while since I mucked with that part of windows).

D00d's right ya know.. Anyway, to turn on DHCP in server 2003 click here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323416)

nil8
01-23-2007, 03:44 PM
You guys beat me to the punch. Damn.
They're completely correct.
Your router should have an interface or way to access it. If you go to the website of the company that made your router and find the manual, it will be in there.
From there, turn off dhcp.
Turn on dhcp on 2k3 with the link sgtm provided, and release & renew all the ip's on your network.
Honestly, for that small of a network, why not just use a static addressing scheme?

Mitternacht
01-23-2007, 03:48 PM
I'd give rep, but I gotta get it set first. I'll definitely remember this thread. And I had problems with my router assigning the same IP address to two of the wireless computers. I feel DHCP will be more reliable.

nil8
01-23-2007, 04:58 PM
DHCP is part of both devices and is a universal part of TCP/IP, just like ICMP. Your router's dhcp and 2k3's dhcp work the same way. 2k3 offers more options and is highly configurable, where your router might or might not be depending on what firnware it has.

If you narrow your dhcp pool too small or do a reset or restart on your router without updating your IP addresses, this could cause that error as well. Simple routers get confused easily on weird dhcp errors or timeouts. Like a timeout on ack packets.

Routers shouldn't ever under normal operating conditions dole out the same IP address.