PDA

View Full Version : How can I make a PSU smaller?

DRece
06-06-2005, 01:44 AM
I have had started a thread about a macintosh IIcx case and one of the ideas of fitting things into this smaller area is the psu. I often hear and see of ppl modding the psu to be in a smaller box. With this in mind, I prop my two questions.

Could I put the guts of a 350w psu into a casing half the size?

or

Could I let my 350w psu go in the nude within the case, as long as it remains seperate from other stuff ( modo and various cards) ?

Zeus
06-06-2005, 01:46 AM
why don't you just get a smaller pwr supply to begin with? I have seen SFF pwr supplies of 350w that are fairly small

Zeus
06-06-2005, 01:47 AM
read http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497

DRece
06-06-2005, 01:49 AM
why don't you just get a smaller pwr supply to begin with? I have seen SFF pwr supplies of 350w that are fairly small

Because Im cheap, cheap, cheap bastard who wants to use the 350w that came with centurion 5 case that is being modded. Also, just imagine the other better parts I could buy with the price of that psu, like fans or cables. :)

Zeus
06-06-2005, 01:54 AM
there are very serious implications when it comes to working with the internals of a power supply. I am nowhere near qualified to help you there. I know there are other modders on this forum that are very savvy about electricals systems that can tell you what and how you can do this safely. I can tell you that the capacitors in a power supply can hold a strong enough charge to severely injure or kill you. Even long after it has been unplugged.

More experienced help, you will need. Beyond my knowledge, you have gone!!

DRece
06-06-2005, 01:55 AM
read http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497

That would be a good solution to the psu problem if I wanted to spend the money and it wasnt so long. Space saving goes by hieght, width, and length on my part. I consider this case a shuttle-like desktop machine or somewhere close.

DRece
06-06-2005, 01:56 AM
there are very serious implications when it comes to working with the internals of a power supply. I am nowhere near qualified to help you there. I know there are other modders on this forum that are very savvy about electricals systems that can tell you what and how you can do this safely. I can tell you that the capacitors in a power supply can hold a strong enough charge to severely injure or kill you. Even long after it has been unplugged.

Thanks again for the help Zeus, anyways. Like the star wars reference. :)

Also, Thanks for being up this late.

Xato
06-06-2005, 03:18 AM

Yeh, cheers Yoda.

Frakk
06-06-2005, 03:31 PM
DRece: you wont reduce a psu to half of its size. most psus dont have much room left in them and they are very packed in the inside. you could take the cover off and use it like that, but you would risk burning your house. if you dont have the money for a smaller powersupply, and cant have a standard atx psu in ure mod, i suggest changing your design because you will not reduce the size of it(max 1cm a side if your brave and lucky). yeah and once you open the psu, you void your warranty.

DRece
06-06-2005, 08:41 PM
DRece: you wont reduce a psu to half of its size. most psus dont have much room left in them and they are very packed in the inside. you could take the cover off and use it like that, but you would risk burning your house. if you dont have the money for a smaller powersupply, and cant have a standard atx psu in ure mod, i suggest changing your design because you will not reduce the size of it(max 1cm a side if your brave and lucky). yeah and once you open the psu, you void your warranty.

Thank you for giving me the info i was afraid to hear, the warrenty was not the issue but I didnt really put the necessary smarts into the fact that I could take down my home with the mod.

Would a psu outside a case be a bad look? I am modding a Macintosh IIcx and using what I have to do it with. Could I perhaps steath the psu to look like something else? Any suggestions on that mod? I was look for a way to do that and make it easier to mod as well as cool it easier.

Zeus
06-06-2005, 11:01 PM
that site I gave you earlier should have external PSUs too!

Xato
06-07-2005, 01:58 AM
What you could do, is empty out the back of an old Mac Monitor, and then stick an LCD screen in the front... that way u have a stack of room in the back for PSU's and what not. This would ofcourse require the purchase of an LCD screen that would fit.

toast07
06-07-2005, 07:06 AM
Besides youed probbly touch two things and onec and......ZZZZZZAAAAAPPPPP!!!!!!...ur dead..lol

toast07
06-07-2005, 07:10 AM
WTF!!!! you allready have "can i make my crapy 350watt psu any smaller in another thread...your spaming... where you had it is good enough..you dont need to ask the same question 80million times youl get threads locked like that....your oviously a nood to any tyoe of forum WITH rules

DRece
06-07-2005, 08:51 PM
WTF!!!! you allready have "can i make my crapy 350watt psu any smaller in another thread...your spaming... where you had it is good enough..you dont need to ask the same question 80million times youl get threads locked like that....your oviously a nood to any tyoe of forum WITH rules

Before you go mouthing off, you should think more of what you are saying before your saying it. If I did meantion making a psu smaller, it was probilily off topic. Thus if it was off topic than I didn't expect the answer to how to make a psu smaller, I would imagine it would go back to the subject at hand to what ever the topic of the that peticular thread, eh? So I close with the question to you, "Did you read the topic of that thread in which I supposely post this remark?" and "Did you think if you compared the topic of the thread with any posts under that thread that they pretty much stayed tuned to the topic?" !

Zeus
06-07-2005, 09:05 PM
seriously, toast. I don't know how much of a veteran you may be on other forums. But from what I see, you are relatively new to this forum. As such, I think you should excercise a little more self control before you go blasting them. Especially about something we have all done. I have at times posted a side comment that turned into a question in my threads. It happens. CHILL!

Xato
06-08-2005, 01:32 AM
And yes, capacitors can = death. So i wouldn't recommend opening a PSU that u have used. Unless you know how to ground it and make it safe.

Zeus
06-08-2005, 02:13 AM
and considering they probably were used to test to make sure they work before they sell them, I would not open one at all if you don't know what to stay away from.

toast07
06-08-2005, 07:21 AM
ya sorry bout that i was supper tired from stain up all night and i could of sworn i was in the topic i posterd when i read this...lol my mistake......oh and if you want a smaller psu buy a modular one...ther just as good :)

Xato
06-08-2005, 07:42 AM
You could take the PSU from an old set top box... they are generally smaller... and have the fan mounted outside the unit... They are about half the size of a normal psu, plus the 80mm fan they stick on them... i used one as my test powersupply at my comp shop.

ZeD
06-08-2005, 11:34 AM
convert the PSU to external, plain and simple, then cover the PSU is the same theme as the rest of the case to blend in and not stick out.

DRece
06-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the ideas, they are very good. When I do future mods, I will remember this suggestions. :)

Silenti_etc
06-22-2005, 03:28 AM
Apple ][e's had am external powersupply that hung from the left side towards the rear. Had a very retro amber/red led backlit on off switch on it too. Like off a cheap power strip (if you get one that flickers when it's on, 2x points).

I dont know how close a visual match the one you have is to a ][e.