PDA

View Full Version : Web Programming And Css

klingelton
01-24-2007, 07:50 AM
righty, i can't think of anywhere else to post this.

I'm currently creating a website for a client, but my css aint that hot (given i only started learning it about a month ago)

The web page is dynamically driven using asp and javascript, and i've decided to dabble further into css for the presentation.

currently i've added dynamically driven tabs to present the user with different categories and to remove the sidebar so we can get as much info as possible on the screen at once. the problem is that since there are so many categories, we can't use the full names and are using shortened versions of the names.

Now when you hover over a picture and you assign an alt="something" to that picture, after a few seconds it displays a small box containing the "something" text. i wanted to use this with the anchor, however this is not a property of the anchor tag.

now i know that css can create drop down boxes etc, and i was wondering if any of you have some helpful snippets of code so i could get a floating box next to my anchor.

I know this aint strictly anything to do with modding, but some of you guys and gals must be web developers or have a dabbling in it!!!

Please help!!

DaveW
01-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Wait, what? You can't really create drop down boxes with CSS. CSS Allows you define a drop down box but it's content is decided by your ASP/PSP scripts (or Javascript).

I've been looking for web developers to help with the TBCS site for nearly half a year now, and no-one appart from OneLegOut and ESX have really responded. Tybrenis knows some stuff but i get the impression he's not too interested in this with his own site to manage.

So what do you want next to your anchor? A Floating box? That's not too hard, you can specify it's co-ordinates with CSS both relatively and absolutely. You can also specify a Z-index to make it float above other things.

If you want this to appear/dissapear when the mouse is over it, hmm...i'm not sure, i think you need a little bit of Javascript or clever HTML. PHP/ASP won't help you here, as it's processed server side.

Does that help?

-Dave

klingelton
01-24-2007, 10:34 AM
yeah, i got that much, i've done that sort of thing before, was hoping to attach the description reletive to the position of the cursor, but i'm still not quite so sure how css positioning and elements really work, as i say, i've only dabbled.

I am gonna hafta put my javascript hat on and stop being such a pure css junkie, quit whining about it and get some work done!! I guess i was kinda hoping that someone would go, "ah i know, this is how you do it!"

oh yeah, i do know a bit of pure css to make things appear and disappear on mouse over/out. set teh visability to "none" or "" :)

this might just work....

never mind my ranting musings^^^^

SgtM
01-24-2007, 11:05 AM
I know it's overused anymore, but what about using flash? Dave, I would love to help out with the TBCS site, but my skills aren't that great to be put in such a high profile site. Beyond basic HTML and a some flash, I'm lost. Java, ASP, PHP and Perl are all something I would like to learn one of these days though.

klingelton
01-24-2007, 12:46 PM
i'm trying to work on the basis that everyone can view html and css, so that makes flash out of the question. I'm soldiering on though.

Instead of the drop down boxes, i've created a tab index at the top of the page that wraps if the screen isn't large enough. I'm having to build the page entirely dynamically since we don't want to present each category to everyone that logs in, only the ones that are supposed to be able to order from them. it's being build to client spec, and we are one of the few around that try to replicate what the client ask for, even if it gives us a splitting headache like the one i have now!