PDA

View Full Version : my computer is..

t009xv
01-24-2007, 10:56 PM
I bought a new computer, and it would just shut off playing some games, especially Battlefield 2. We then figured it was bad RAM, so we took out one of the two 1GB RAM sticks, and it solved the problem. So we then exchanged that one, which we thought was bad, for another one. After installing the other one, its back to its old ways of shutting off. What do you think is causing this? Do you think its heat related?

slytherock
01-24-2007, 10:58 PM
I suspect more the PSU (Always blame it on the PSU ;) )
Have you tried it only with the second stick of Ram?

Post your complete system specs, so we can better help you :)

armadilloben
01-24-2007, 11:32 PM
like sly said blame the psu my old one was so problematic try with nothing plugged in but ure main hdd gfx cd/dvd drive ram and cpu and see what happens

t009xv
01-24-2007, 11:37 PM
My computer is...

AMD Athlon 4200+ Duel Core Processor
Duel 7600 GS 512 mb each
320 GB HD

I haven't tried it with the second stick only, but I will. I'm also gonna see if changing the second stick of RAM to a different slot helps.

klingelton
01-25-2007, 05:26 AM
you say you're using your old psu? might need to upgrade that. even if the wattage is enough, generally with cheap psu's they don't create a stable voltage for the computer to run off. also download and run this http://www.memtest86.com/ and if that shows an error, you've got either a bad ram stick, or a bad slot on your mobo. switch the ram around and run the test again. if the memory address locations switch (i.e. 520 instead of 18) then you know it;s your ram. if it stays the same, then it's your mobo. bin the mobo!

t009xv
01-25-2007, 07:33 AM
I'm using the PSU that came with the computer, its a 550 watts one. Thanks, I'll try all that.

Indybird
01-25-2007, 09:25 AM
A 550 Watt PSU should be enough. My thoughts could be:
-Bad Drivers
-Overheating CPU
-Bad Memory
-And, umm...
I'll keep thinking on that

-Indybird

slytherock
01-25-2007, 09:42 AM
A 550 Watt PSU should be enough.

not sure at all, first it's a generic, second, according to the specs, he run in sli...

SgtM
01-25-2007, 10:21 AM
I'll jump on the PSU bandwagon also. Here's what you should do. Take everything off of the PSU except for your main hard drive, 1 stick of RAM and 1 graphics card. Then try playing Battlefield again. Yes, your frame rates will be much lower, but it will allow you to troubleshoot. If the computer is stable, it's likely a power issue. At this point, start adding things back in. RAM, Optical Drive, and lastly put your graphics cards back in SLI. Make sure you test after each component you add.

If it acts the same while it's running the bare minimum, it's something else, and I would start with heat first. The fix could be as simple as adding a fan somewhere. An easy way to test that would be to put a small fan next to the computer while the side panel is off, and have it blow on the motherboard.

klingelton
01-25-2007, 11:16 AM
i still say test the ram 1st, im leaning towards an address issue on the mobo, maybe a busted contact.

hmmm sgtm, i like the idea of ambient case temp, he's running alot of high temp stuff in there.

do you have a case thermometer or something t009xxt or whatever your name is? it'd be nice to know that number!

armadilloben
01-25-2007, 05:30 PM
SLi will suck juice from your PSU. Especially if you are running twin 7 series nVidias. Those suckers loooovvvee power. I wouldn't pair up any 7 series cards with anything less than a 700w PSU.

dude i am running dual 7600gts along with 3 hard drives 2 dvd/ cd drives a and a opteron 160 sumtin on a dfi board and i'm using a 550 watt power supply with no problems whatsoever. not to mention that im oc'ing. i have never had any problems with my antec 550, and i'm still only occupying 3 out of the six modular cabling ports. i wouldn't go much lower the a 600watt psu for anything higher then my current rig so then again 700 watts may be a safe bet for sli. but i mean i would feel comfortable using 2 8800gtx's with 700 watts as well. i know what you mean minty but i dont think he needs higher then a 600 watt psu for sli on his setup. ill go run a power consumption test if i find an app for doing so.

ben out

Airbozo
01-25-2007, 06:23 PM
A.)
C.) My computer could beat your computer up anyway.
[/I]

...And mine would sit in the corner watching and recording it for youtube...

I would also check the heat on the proc. Use one of the free temp recording software on the net and make sure the proc is not getting too hot. AMD procs shutdown when they get close to fry temp and you may be able to check what that temp is in your bios.

I am mainly suggesting the temp recorder because once the system crashes and by the time it reboots, it will have cooled off enough not to cause any alarm. Depending on the heatsink, it may have jiggled loose if you have moved your computer around much. Some of the original amd heatsinks sucked for this main reason, much like the stock ones intel is shipping with most of their cpu's now. Garbage I tell you! I have had 3 out of 5 come loose in shipping and now replace them instantly. I feel like making a dump run to intel's main building here and give them back their junk heatsinks (broken of course). it is getting so bad that even a couple of our vendors are suggesting to ALL of their customers NOT to use those heatsinks.

armadilloben
01-25-2007, 07:54 PM
A.) Your 150$ processor and 90$ motherboard is using far less power throughout than his 64X2 4800+ and mobo

B.) If you were overclocking, it wouldn't matter anyway, as the increments you increase by, would by far fry your hardware, before you ran out of juice. UNLESS you were right at 545w and then OC'd. Then you can get close to losing power.

C.) My computer could beat your computer up anyway.

:banana:

-Jeremy outside smoking a cigarette...

dude i am running dual 7600gts along with 3 hard drives 2 dvd/ cd drives a and a opteron 160 sumtin on a dfi board and i'm using a 550 watt power supply with no problems whatsoever. not to mention that im oc'ing. i have never had any problems with my antec 550, and i'm still only occupying 3 out of the six modular cabling ports. i wouldn't go much lower the a 600watt psu for anything higher then my current rig so then again 700 watts may be a safe bet for sli. but i mean i would feel comfortable using 2 8800gtx's with 700 watts as well. i know what you mean minty but i dont think he needs higher then a 600 watt psu for sli on his setup. ill go run a power consumption test if i find an app for doing so.

ben out

you were off 60 bucks on my mobo

t009xv
01-25-2007, 11:15 PM
I do have a case thermometer klingelton and its not high when it shuts off, it wont even be 40 degrees celsius. And sgtm, it doesn't turn off when I have only the one RAM stick in. Its just whenever I have a second RAM stick added.

SgtM
01-26-2007, 12:38 PM
I do have a case thermometer klingelton and its not high when it shuts off, it wont even be 40 degrees celsius. And sgtm, it doesn't turn off when I have only the one RAM stick in. Its just whenever I have a second RAM stick added.

Try testing each stick individually, and in each slot. Let us know what happens.

t009xv
01-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Good news, I fixed it! All I did was switch the new RAM stick to a different slot, and my computer doesn't turn off anymore! Thanks alot everyone for all of your help! :D