PDA

View Full Version : Can't figure out the problem

Faeker
06-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Hey guys, I'm really new here. I just got back into the PC world and I'm kinda lost. I pieced together a somewhat inexspensive system for right now. I have an ECS 741GX-m mobo, a 2300 Sempron, 256 ram, a 10gb HD, an 80gb HD, Rosewill Radeon 9200SE, CD-rom, and a BenQ DVD burner. I have had so many problems with this setup. First off, getting XP installed on this was a pain. It kept running into Errors. At first I thought it was the CD being all scratched up, but after I got it cleaned I still had install problems. I even tried another CD. It got through most of the install, but then It said that a component wasn't installed that's needed for setup. I can run the PC right now, but I keep getting blue screened for reason's I can't understand. It will give me the "irq not less than" message, or sometimes the video card will mess up. I'm at my wits end. Some guys tell me it's my hard drive, other people tell me it's the install CD. I kind of ruled that one out since a new CD did the same things the old CD was doing. Also, when I turn the system on, it will read my devices and then restart. It does this for about 5 min. It will even restart as it's starting XP. Someone please, through me a life line here. I am so frustrated. Also, if this thread is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it to where it belongs. I didn't know where to put it.

Rachel
06-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Hmmm... Did you make sure that all your components were hooked up right?

Faeker
06-07-2005, 11:37 PM
yeah, I went over them a lot. the only shady issue was that the video card didn't have the xp signature.

Frakk
06-07-2005, 11:43 PM
ure problem could be from many things. i think its the hard drive too, try installing it on a new one if you can. other causes can be: overheating, damaged motherboard, wrong type of memory, or even an unstable powersupply. its hard to tell, you would have to experiment, trying new parts at a time. i know its really annoying but the only way :) also if you get a blue screen with some numbers regarding to the type of error (0x0000 and some number) write it down, search for it in google and you should at least figure out what part(s) can be the problem

Faeker
06-07-2005, 11:47 PM
........I should have done that before. I'll be sure to use google. I don't think heat's the issue....it's actually kind of cold in my case. Memory's correct too. I guess I'll try the HD.

Rachel
06-07-2005, 11:50 PM
If anything only try using one HD you can always get a slave later.

Faeker
06-07-2005, 11:54 PM
tried that too. similar problems from both HD's

Rachel
06-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Maybe you should try another motherboard. Any conections being bridged? And make sure your PSU is on the right setting thing on the back... you know the strange switch thing that makes your computer act wierd if it's switched wrong....

Faeker
06-08-2005, 12:20 AM
i'll have to check the back of the psu, but I think it's on the proper number. i'm tired right now. thanx for the suggestions peeps....keep them coming. I have a feeling this might be a bit.

cygnus_x_1
06-08-2005, 12:56 AM
try replacing your ide cables, and reseating your memory. start with the small stuff, and work from there.

craigr1982
06-08-2005, 04:25 AM
I often have these problems with XP, Bain of my life!!

Try reseating the RAM and reseat your cpu and heatsink. IRQ Not less than blah blah is usually either a network card or VGA arguing. In my experience anyway.

Stick to 2000 Pro, The best OS since 95. Stable and doesnt have so many "are you sure?" prompts when trying to do stuff.

Faeker
06-08-2005, 08:50 AM
i forgot to mention...it's that famous 0x0...8e error most of the time. i'm gonna try some new ram today and go from there. and yeah, i'd rather be using 2000.

Malatory
06-08-2005, 10:24 AM
If your using the 10 gig HD as the main HD. I would put that on the possible problems list. It is hard to find a drive like that unless its SCSI now days.

Check the HD out.
Get memtest (Download and burn on a CD nad have it run for a while to see if your memory is faultly.
Did you use thermal Compound with the HS and what Type??
Is the HS weight higher than the recomended weight? If so Possible Crushed Core (I have a xp 2000+ that works when the temp is low but blue screens when it gets warm).

Faeker
06-08-2005, 11:35 AM
added another 512mb to my mem......problems have ceased. for now.

Rachel
06-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Yea, Windows likes to lie and crash when you need it most... I give it a few days. ;) J/K I hope it works out.

Zeus
06-09-2005, 12:31 AM
Yea, Windows likes to lie and crash when you need it most... I give it a few days. ;) J/K I hope it works out.

ain't that the truth

Xato
06-09-2005, 02:41 AM
Its just like the post in the daily LOL...
If windows was an Airline... It would be a nice pleasant trip.. with wonderful staff and a clean plane... It would all go without a hitch, untill it reached 30,000 feet and exploded for no reason.

Malatory
06-09-2005, 10:01 AM
added another 512mb to my mem......problems have ceased. for now.

vertual memory could have been the problem. Windows trying to swap memory and there is not enough disk space. Since you use to have 256M it might have been swaping out tomuch and/or you didnt have enough disk space / or the dirve was having problems with it.

Pascs
06-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Did you replace the original memory? The only time I've had a similar problem was due to a faulty memory - it was doing some really weird stuff - corrupting files etc.

I replaced it, reinstalled WinXP and no more problems.

Rachel
06-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Its just like the post in the daily LOL...
If windows was an Airline... It would be a nice pleasant trip.. with wonderful staff and a clean plane... It would all go without a hitch, untill it reached 30,000 feet and exploded for no reason.

That was my post. :D I'm glad someone remembers it.

Faeker
06-10-2005, 08:07 AM
I added to the additional memory I had.....and yes.....it's up to it's old tricks again. It's no where near as bad, but it takes about 10 boot ups to get running. Remind to never ride a Microsoft plane if one ever exists.

UK-Blade
07-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Sounds like a memory problem to me, XP is really funny about memory. Have your tried a diff stick? (It maybe the right type, but could still be faulty)

If this aint the problem, try a diff PSU. Ensure you have the latest (pref not Beta) BIOS and its setup correctly (not meant as an insult, but I don't know how much you know).

As for the hard drive, download the manufacturers diagnostic software, most create a bootable floppy and do the full surface scan. (You might want to go watch some TV etc.....)

If not post some more info.

Good Luck

temmink
07-03-2005, 12:16 AM
There are two main causes for problems with win XP.

1. Not enough RAM or two sticks of RAM that don't like each other. Always go for a matched pair, just two sticks of the same type is not enough.

2. You have somehow offended the BILL and now he has initiated Stage 1 of program BUBBLE OS VENDETTA. You can expect Stage 2 to begin shortly so if any pets or loved ones go missing in the next 2-6 weeks do not be surprised and do not expect them to return. After that, stage 3, I'd be carefull where you leave your toothbrush.

So basically if it is the latter, you have about 6 and a half weeks untill the BILL terminates your existance, I hope for your sake its just the ram :)

Xbrid
07-03-2005, 03:14 AM
I have decided,u r seriously screwed up. lol
hope u can get it workin. i am haveing problems at the moment as well good luck

Faeker
07-04-2005, 11:16 AM
it was the memory. it's all better now. thanx for the concern and help guys!!!

Steven Tarise
07-05-2005, 06:23 AM
I was just going to post that I've had a very similar experience recently, and it was due to damaged RAM. When I ran Memtest, one stick would run all day with no errors. The other would go until it reached 0.43%, by which time it had over 1000 errors. Sent it in to get RMA'd and am waiting a response.