PDA

View Full Version : Dx10

t009xv
01-30-2007, 10:39 PM
When DX10 comes out, will I have to buy a new graphics card to have it, or can I download it or buy it or what?

.Maleficus.
01-30-2007, 10:55 PM
You will have to buy a new graphics card unless you already have a DX10 compatible one. It is software, but it has it's hardware requirements too.

Also, it is a Vista-only thing. Not XP compatible.

Ronyx
01-31-2007, 03:05 AM
I think they're going to hold out on releasing DX10 games in large amounts for now. There won't be a very large market for them seeing as people have already shelled out their savings on the upgrade to the video cards. They will wait to invest money in DX10 games until more people can afford and buy DX10 video cards. By that time they would have improved and become cheaper. Still getting a DX10 vid card today will do you no harm. From a first hand experience, they're great. They let you play games how they're really meant to be played. Totally recommend it.

onelegout
01-31-2007, 07:20 AM
I think they're going to hold out on releasing DX10 games in large amounts for now. There won't be a very large market for them seeing as people have already shelled out their savings on the upgrade to the video cards. They will wait to invest money in DX10 games until more people can afford and buy DX10 video cards. By that time they would have improved and become cheaper. Still getting a DX10 vid card today will do you no harm. From a first hand experience, they're great. They let you play games how they're really meant to be played. Totally recommend it.
Sound advice.
DX10 gaming in the mainstream is going to take a while to kick off, but once its got going it will be amazing.
H

klingelton
01-31-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm having a friend hold out buying a new vid until ati release a DX10 card, which should be coming along in march (we hope)

the 8800 is DX10 compatible i think...

onelegout
01-31-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm having a friend hold out buying a new vid until ati release a DX10 card, which should be coming along in march (we hope)

the 8800 is DX10 compatible i think...

No offense here, but if you're not even sure whether the 8 series cards are DX10 compatiable, why are you giving people advice to wait for ATI cards? Personaly, I'd say wait until the second generation of DX10 cards - Then you will (most probably) have a wider performance/price range to choose from, as we will be expecting an entry level and mid-end DX10 card from Nvidia or ATI in their next generation of cards, if not, the generation after that.
This is because DX10 is a standard, not a performance variable. It will become the norm after a while and both nvidia and ATI will need to produce lower end cards to cater for the non-enthusiast market.
Wait 'til you have more options to choose from.
H

t009xv
01-31-2007, 03:56 PM
How can I tell if my graphics cards are DX10 compatible? I just bought a new computer and would be kind of mad if I have to get a new graphics card to play some of the new games coming out that I really want to play.

Silenced_Coyote
01-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Do you know what graphics card came with your PC? If it isn't an Nvidia 8800GTX or GTS, then it is not a DX10 card.

.Maleficus.
01-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Do you know what graphics card came with your PC? If it isn't an Nvidia 8800GTX or GTS, then it is not a DX10 card.
Pretty much.

If you just bought a new PC (I'm assuming you mean OEM big name PC) then I don't think it's DX10 compatible (Unless you bought an Alienware, VooDoo, or the like).

t009xv
01-31-2007, 09:42 PM
That sucks. I got duel nVidia 7600 GS 512 MB.