PDA

View Full Version : Need Case...

Moofaa
02-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Looking to increase the challenge level of my next mod. Heres what sort of case I am looking for:

I want a smooth case, preferably with a front door cover, I intend to paint it black if it doesnt come that way. Also it should be a full tower.

I need to be able to purchase separate side-panels without buying a whole new case. I want to cut my own window this time, and if I fubar the job (cause its not gonna be just simple straight cuts) I can order a new panel easily.

Been looking at Lian-li cases, as I have heard they are pretty easy to mod, any thoughts or suggestions?

Silenced_Coyote
02-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Not sure if you already found a place to buy replacement side panels. But this place (Performance-PCs (http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=158_280)) sells the Lian-Li side panels.

They sell other side panels, but they already got windows on them. Seems like Lian-Li is your best choice.

bartvandenberg
02-03-2007, 12:42 AM
why not try a thermaltake tsunami or something. they come black (gloss) front cover, and you can get them without a window in the side panel. lian li cases are far too overpriced.

Silenced_Coyote
02-03-2007, 02:24 AM
True, but he wants to be able to purchase separate side panels in case he screws up with his original one. I haven't found a place that sold replacement side panels that are unmodded. I saw a few Thermaltake ones, but they got windows and fans on them. They key for him is to be able to buy replacements.

slytherock
02-03-2007, 01:41 PM
The stacker 832 (http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/Products.aspx?pid=1287) look nice too

Moofaa
02-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I know Lian-Li is expensive, but they seem to have the closest thing to what im looking for. Wont be building this rig until june or july anyways, so I have time to save $$. If my project turns out to work the way I want it too, its gonna look sweet.

Silenced_Coyote
02-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Which Lian-Li case are you going to pick?

Moofaa
02-04-2007, 04:35 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112108

possibly this case. I like large cases, and will want lots of room cause I may be going dual-graphics card and raid. Reviews say they come with 2 PSU slots intead of the 2 rear fan slots. Might be alright if I need the extra PSU for the crossfire/sli, and if not I can prolly mod some fans into that slot easily enough.

Didnt realize till I looked at that one that Lian-li cases are backwards from regular ones. Any known issues with having to flip the mobo upside down?

Silenced_Coyote
02-05-2007, 12:49 AM
There are 2 that come to mind at the momet:

1) Make sure your heatsink fits. It may be too big and hit the bottom of that compartment. Of course, you can cut it to accomodate the big heatsink. An extreme case would be that you cut it and you want to put a 2nd PSU, but there isn't enough room for both.

2) There may be a problem with motherboards with heatpipes. Transfering heat against gravity depends on the wicking material in the heatpipe. But you won't find this info on the spec sheet. You might be able to ask the motherboard company or find the answer on the Internet. A for sure way to know is to cut the heatpipe, but that would void your warranty... Sintering and fine fiber are good at overcoming gravity (sintering being the better of the two).

Edit:
If you don't get any answers to what heatpipes are on the motherboard, monitor the north and south bridges to make sure they don't overheat.

Moofaa
02-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I never considered gravity affecting heat transfer. I shouldnt need 2 PSUs, but its hard to say. Most likely I will be running only a single card for a while, and pop in a second one once prices fall. Also if I get a 2nd PSU, it shouldnt have to be a gigantic one, since it may only have to power a single card. Dunno, this is all still months away :-)