PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic Toughbook

nil8
02-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Here's an article that goes in depth in the rigors Panasonic puts its Toughbooks through. I thought it was really cool. I fell in love with the little bastards after I saw an EMT drop and kick one across the ambulance garage while on with no damage.
Enjoy.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebooks/review/2007/02/06/Zen-And-The-Art-Of-ToughBooks/p1

luciusad2004
02-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Wow, thats pretty cool. Its nice to know that there is a company out there that takes pride in how well there laptops can take abuse. I almost want to buy one just to take it outside and sit in the snow.

Bucko
02-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Maybe a Toughbook is what I should buy for my laptop. It sounds like it would handle being transported to work and back each day on my Murdercycle without complaint.

nil8
02-08-2007, 02:38 PM
They carry a hefty pricetag, but their warranty and testing make up for it. If you can afford it and have a tendency to break conventional laptops, they're what you want.

AJ@PR
02-08-2007, 03:18 PM
I want one.
I don't "need" one.
But I want one.
mmmmm.... :)

XcOM
02-08-2007, 11:36 PM
http://www.toughonline.com/features.asp?item=1015
the big boy one, i got a tough book, a very old orange one that transco used to use, still as good as new,

Foxtrot9000
02-13-2007, 12:30 AM
man now i want one! to bad im poor =)

simon275
02-14-2007, 12:36 AM
I read about one of those in a magazine a while ago they dropped it off tables and poured coke on it and put it through the nightmare of LAN tests.

nil8
02-14-2007, 02:07 AM
Toughbooks take insane amounts of abuse for laptops and still manage to work. If I could afford one and had a use for it, I would buy one. Hell, I would get one just to drop on occasion and continue to play quake 3 on it.

Omega
02-14-2007, 03:26 AM
My mom's boyfriend has a very small one. It's pretty badass -- We ran over it in our Ford Escape on purpose -- while it was running -- to see if it could withstand it.

...It did.

simon275
02-14-2007, 06:46 AM
My mom's boyfriend has a very small one. It's pretty badass -- We ran over it in our Ford Escape on purpose -- while it was running -- to see if it could withstand it.

...It did.

:eek:

So say one wheel on it the car ways two tonnes so that is like 500kg of force on it. Dammm. I bet the military buys these by the container load.

Bucko
02-14-2007, 06:48 AM
My mom's boyfriend has a very small one.

I just read that and thought "Well, as long as she is happy..." :D

Sorry.

Still, it's pretty impressive that a car can run over it.

simon275
02-14-2007, 06:54 AM
My mom's boyfriend has a very small one.

I just read that and thought "Well, as long as she is happy..." :D

Sorry.

*Gets soap to wash out Bucko's mouth

DaveW
02-14-2007, 09:40 AM

...It did.

I'm impressed. Now, the ultimate test...

...give one to my girlfriend for the weekend. This is a girl who's wrestled a bull to the ground. Now I'll admit she had to go to Hospital afterwards to get her arm looked at, but I'll be damned if any of you guys can do better.

-Dave

Crimson13
02-14-2007, 11:20 AM
I have read a story (not sure it its true) that a soldier's life was saved by his toughbook a sniper round ripped through the truck he was in and got stopped by his toughbook sitting next to him. Now the toughbook didn't make it but its still cool. I'll try to find the story.

Edit: found it! http://www.product-reviews.net/2007/02/10/the-laptop-that-saved-a-soldiers-life/

Lairy Fiquid
02-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Saves lives too :eek:
These things are madness, shame about the price tag not agreeing with my balance :neutral:

Luke122
02-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Our local fire department uses them in the trucks, as they can take the vibration and abuse that the firemen give them. The firechief is now looking for a similar level of strength in a tablet. I said I'd keep watch for him. :D

Omega
02-14-2007, 06:41 PM
That bulletproof one is the one my mom's boyfriend had. He eventually takke something out and it stopped working (he's a computer guy and did it on purpose), but yeah, they're hard as ****. I would use one as a weapon if I had to.

nil8
02-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Our local fire department uses them in the trucks, as they can take the vibration and abuse that the firemen give them. The firechief is now looking for a similar level of strength in a tablet. I said I'd keep watch for him. :D

All emergency services use the toughbooks if they can afford them. Cops, ambulance and fire all need them for the amount of work they do.

There are toughbook tablets. I've installed a couple into ambulances, so signatures for admitting can be done on the way to the hospital.