PDA

View Full Version : Apple moves to Intel proccesors

MisterChief
06-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Here's the link: http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2438

During Apple's World Wide Developers Conference, the announcement was made that Apple will be using Intel procs starting 2006, and completley in 2007. I can scarcely begin to imagine the implications and advantages that such a huge move will create in the future. Go ahead and take a look at the article: be afraid, be very afraid... :eek::D

Rachel
06-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Well that sure is a change.

public_eyesore
06-11-2005, 10:06 PM
What if mirosoft desided to buy intel? Could this be a wrong step into yet another mirosoft domination. Or if they did would they get sued again? :? :D

MisterChief
06-11-2005, 10:33 PM
What if mirosoft desided to buy intel? Could this be a wrong step into yet another mirosoft domination. Or if they did would they get sued again? :? :D

Well, the whole Microsoft regime had a funny beginning. Back in the late 80's and early 90's, IBM hired Microsoft to write their OS (DOS). The biggest mistake IBM made was to allow Microsoft to license their OS to other PC companies. IBM did not secure the rights to Microsoft's OS. This allowed Microsoft to control who had access to their software, so the standard IBM created broke out of their grasp.

Now, Intel and Microsoft may be partners, but I'll be damned if they decide to merge, or if Intel is bought out by Microsoft, which really can't happen. Microsoft develops software and software standards (OS), and Intel develops hardware and hardware standards, like AGP and PCI-e. I doubt that they will ever join. Besides, Apple is endorsing Intel products, not "buying" Intel, or vise-versa. Apparently, the PowerPC architecture dosen't meet the needs of Apple's future developments.

I'm wondering what will become of the PowerPC architecture.

reddog418
06-12-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm wondering what will become of the PowerPC architecture.
I believe the term you're looking for is, "extinct."

Zeus
06-12-2005, 06:16 PM
We are witnessing the end of an era.

The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is.

MisterChief
06-12-2005, 09:37 PM
We are witnessing the end of an era.

The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is.

Actualy, I'm feeling optimistic. New technologies/standards could stem from this relationship. And who knows, there might be another Billy Gates out there somewhere.:D