PDA

View Full Version : vintage stereo case mod

robobot
06-12-2005, 01:21 AM
This is my first case mod. I want to give it a vintage stereo look, like my old Pioneer stereo, with the wood panels and brushed metal.
pics of stereo from eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39789&item=5780147495&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)
pics of case from NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?image=11-125-452-01.jpg,11-125-452-02.jpg,11-125-452-04.jpg,11-125-452-05.jpg,11-125-452-03.jpg,11-125-452-07.jpg&CurImage=11-125-452-01.jpg&Description=CHENMING%20301KESL-0-0%20Silver%20Steel%20ATX%20Mid%20Tower%20Computer% 20Case%20-%20Retail)

I want to put wood panels on the sides, but I also need a good amount of airflow through the case because it will eventually be a dual GPU system. How would I be able to get the best airflow using only the front intake and back exhaust on the case? Also, how would I put the panels on so that they don't block the door and still allow me to open the computer without completely disassembling it? (only one side opens.)

Also, I want to modify the top drive bay to be a light fixture with an incandescent yellow glow shining down on the optical drives. I'm not sure whether to make the light turn on and off when you open and close the door or just make it stay on and turn the little square on the door into a window. In the fourth 5" bay, I want to put power outlets so I can plug stuff in to the front of my computer. How would I do all this stuff?

MisterChief
06-12-2005, 01:40 AM
For cooling, use several fans or a few big fans to cycle air through the system (air in from the front, then out the back). As for the door idea, get some small hinges and be creative! I don't know much about lighting or electrical suff, so you'll have to find someone else for that...:)

Frakk
06-12-2005, 09:35 AM
I have a feeling that you are going to get overwhelmed on your first mod. you are jumping right into it, but you dont even have an idea how to. the other thing is that I dont understand what ure gonna do with the stereo. do you just want to achive the look of it, or build a pc into it? for all your questions, there are multiple answers.
-sidepanel: you can screw the wood on it, use glue, rivets and so on
-the front panel lighting: you can place the leds in many ways, use switches to turn it on and off but your not even sure how u want it
-fron panel power outlets: you could use premade outlets and connect it to the psu's cable, or make your own power lines (which could cause a lot of trouble if screwed up).

robobot
06-12-2005, 01:53 PM
OK. I've given this a little more thought. The case (not the stereo) is going to have wood panels bolted on each side with spacers to let air through the side vents (see pictures of case). I will also modify the rear vent to accomodate a 120mm fan. I've had experience working with wood and metal, so this shouldn't be too hard. I'm abandoning the power outlet idea. a standard outlet is too wide to put in 2 3.5" bays and too tall for one 5" bay.
The only thing I really need help with is the lighting behind the door. How would I install a switch so that the light only comes on when the door is open, and what leads of the power supply would be best to tap into for LEDs?

Frakk
06-12-2005, 02:28 PM
do a little research on electronics and leds (there are threads about it on the forum too), i really dont feel like giving a lesson for the 100000th time. it is pretty simple but you should know the basics anyways

Xato
06-13-2005, 09:34 AM
As far as the switch for the lights only coming on when the door is open goes, do a bit of research into transistors... This way, you can have a small circuit which is connected when the door is closed (and with the use of transistors) the light goes off... when the door opens the light goes on...
The way this works becomes a whole lot clearer if you know a bit of electronics, if you dont want to delve to deeply into things like this, i suggest you find a way to mechanically activate the switch when the door opens, or just have a switch on the frint of the case.

robobot
06-13-2005, 01:29 PM
That transistor thing sounds like a good idea. I'll look into it.

Frakk
06-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Xato you make it too complicated. all you need is a momentary switch installed in the front bezel that completes the circuit once the door is open.