PDA

View Full Version : Thermaltake armor

andymushu
02-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I was considering getting an armor case after looking at the specs. I am pretty sure this is the case i am going ot get for my newest system (unless you guys know of a better one). I couldn't decide whether or not to get the 25cm fan in the side panel. anybody have one that can tell me how good it is?

Ironcat
02-13-2007, 10:25 PM
As far as I know there are at least 2 of us who have this case.

I bought it because it looked like the most amazing case I had ever seen... I have since changed my mind about that and would not buy it again if given the option. in fact, I friggin hate it!

After having owned it awhile now, there are some issues I have. I am sure you know (or think you know) what you do like... I will tell you the things I do not like about it, whoever else wants to can speak up, and you can take it from there...

1. The armor visor door thingies. They do not stay open OR shut. They pretty much swing freely whenever they want to. They serve no purpose other than looking cool in the pictures.
2. The power supply area is hidden up top behind a diagonal bar that I guess is there for added strength, but it means getting a PSU in is like playing Tetris.
3. The case is heavy. It's 36 friggin pounds... now add all your gear, and then try and move it in and out of the desk for messing around, much less LAN parties.
4. The motherboard tray does not slide out. Why the hell in 2007 would anyone make a non removeable motherboard tray?
5. The HD cage is moveable but in it's most sensible location it blocks access to your video cards. Put the HDDs in, and then wiggle the video card till it sits right and then hope you don't need to move either.
6. The case is big. That's part of the reason that I got it, but it's so big and the distance from top to bottom is so great that if you try and run 2 video cards in an SLI config, the PCI-E cord will not be long enough to reach the second one.
7. The 250mm fan does not connect to a fan controller, it's just on a molex so it's always on or always off, and it also has no LED. It's the coolest thing about the case and there's no LED to show it off.
8. It's pretty loud. I don't know how many decibels they claim it is, but if the TV is turned off, I can hear it downstairs.

Well that's my .02 so good luck!

andymushu
02-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Wow. i had no idea it had so many flaws. Do you have any recommendations about other cases? Preferably ones with a side window, big, lots of bays, and lots of cooling.

slytherock
02-14-2007, 12:31 AM
I dont think the side fan is necessary. I dont have the fan, but th Armor is the best case I've own.

For the flaws:
1: a simple mod correct this (http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/107858-project-gobys-tt-armor-lcs-build-6.html)
2: Never had this issue, I've heard some had, but my OCZ Powerstream fit right in, and my old Antec truepower too
3: It's eavy, but no one tried to stole it ;)
4: Why use a mobotray when you can alomst get yourself INTO the case
5: I've mod my HDD cages and I have no more problems with it
6: Good PSU have long powercords
7: Nothing a modder cant change
8: It's loud, but with 6 HDDs, 4 120mm, 1 92mm, any case is loud

Sorry Ironcat, I still love my Armor ;)

andymushu
02-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Wow. two totally different views of the same case. honestly that doesn't help my decision much. but i am inclined to agree with sly, simply because i can fix most of those things

Omega
02-14-2007, 02:16 AM
I've played around with Armor Cases (Built a rig in to one) and it's no harder to get the PSU in than if I try to put it in my Cooler Master Cavalier with the mobo in.

They're good cases, and any "flaws" people gripe about can be fixed easily.

andymushu
02-14-2007, 09:58 AM
ok, well thanks for all the advice. i think i'll stick with this case for my next build then. thanks for the help

gobygoby
02-15-2007, 03:20 PM
get an Armor, you wont be disappointed!

crazzyyredneck
02-27-2007, 09:04 PM
You can check out the Thermaltake Tsunami. I just got one, definantly my favorite case. http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=75109

Only problem i had was mounting my hard drive, but after looking into the instruction manual i found out why lol, simple fix. the hard drive bay comes all the way out. I Also didnt like the brackets used in the 5.25 bays

Spawn-Inc
02-28-2007, 12:56 AM
even with all those flaws i still want one too and will be getting it within a month or 2. once i get the money i will be getting the case and a water cooling setup :)))))

SSGM4DCOW
03-03-2007, 04:54 PM
thermaltake has some of the Best looking cases i have seen but on most of them the brackets are a pain to figure out.

mikeroq
03-04-2007, 02:48 AM
6. The case is big. That's part of the reason that I got it, but it's so big and the distance from top to bottom is so great that if you try and run 2 video cards in an SLI config, the PCI-E cord will not be long enough to reach the second one.

That depends on your power supply. The one on my antec is like 14" the one on my new power supply im getting soon is 21". The legnth varies from power supply to power supply