PDA

View Full Version : Question about running XP on two computers and an Ubuntu question or two.

Bucko
02-15-2007, 06:31 AM
Windows won't let you run XP on two computers from the same copy will it?
I ask as I am thinking of making a media centre and I only own one copy of XP.

If this is the case (which I suspect it is), what is available for Ubuntu in the way of a media player to mainly play MP3's?
I already have the Ubuntu Image CD burned, but haven't had a real close look at it.
Also, what is file sharing like between the two operating systems using a crossover cable?
All MP3's are ripped from my own collection and I'd like them on my main PC and the Media Centre.

Of course, the easiest solution is just buying a new 300 disc CD player for the stereo, but I wouldn't mind the ability to play some of the the different bike videos I have downloaded on the media centre in the lounge room, rather than just in my computer room.

.Maleficus.
02-15-2007, 07:40 AM
I don't think you can install twice. You might be able to use the same disc, but once the 30 day registration period is up, it doesn't matter anyways.

There are many media player options for Ubuntu. A popular one is amaroK (http://amarok.kde.org/).

For the file sharing, I don't think that Windows will be able to do that by itself, so read this thread (http://thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6459). That should be able to do it.

SgtM
02-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Why not try GeeXboX (http://www.geexbox.org/en/index.html)?

Yotendoten
03-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Windows Media Center has great streaming functionality built into it. If you are planning on wanting to stream music off of one onto the other using a network in your home/office Media Center is defiantly what you want to use. Also if you have a Media Center PC and an Xbox 360, the 360 will take advantage of the same functionality and allow you to play music on your tv from your pc as long as they are both connected to the same network.

haha49
03-27-2007, 06:51 PM
if you have coprate adition of xp pro.. you can install and reinstall a million times on a million machines ...

yes but regerstering can be a pain but you are behind a firewall right? so it only sees the ip..

Kahamri
03-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Well, running one xp licence on two computers is a sin in microsoft's eyes. (you cant even uninstall from one machine and move to another unless your computer caught on fire) so says the EULA.

For Ubuntu, You should check out Mythtv. It's like media center, but open source. I am a ubuntu user and love the community very nice people.

Canadian Eh?
04-05-2007, 03:17 PM
If you install XP twice, the second time will not be a genuine copy. Genuine copies can run some Micro$oft programs whlie the second copy cannot. Obviously, this is one of the reasons Micro$oft is such a cash cow. A lot of computer stores do this and as far as i know it is illegal. (someone correct me?)

gaz_the_chav
04-05-2007, 07:56 PM
if you have coprate adition of xp pro.. you can install and reinstall a million times on a million machines ...

yes but regerstering can be a pain but you are behind a firewall right? so it only sees the ip..

Just a slight warning be careful how you approach this lol nothing bad ment but just don't cross over the illegal line lol

-gaz

nil8
04-06-2007, 01:32 AM

That's not exactly true.
What you're talking about is MS Volume License Keys.

Corporations have better things to do than buy a few hundred OEM copies of software just to have the right to use the software. Instead, software distributors have other methods of agreement about licensing, one of the common ways is volume license.

Company XYZ pays software maker ABC for 500 licenses of their software. This is normally a cheaper price than OEM per license.
Company XYZ installs their legal software with a single key that works constantly and doesn't require any type of verification.
ABC requires XYZ to do an audit after a while and count up how many licenses are being used and pay for any extras they need.

BTW, this is not how Vista works. Vista is a little more tricky.

You can't install it a million times on a million machines. Legally, you can only install it on as many machines as you have licenses for.

The IP isn't the only info sent to Microsoft during verification. Basically your entire sysinfo is.
Registering isn't really affected by firewalls, unless you block the packets. Even then, registration goes off the calendar, and will lock you out after a certain period of time.

"A lot of computer stores do this and as far as i know it is illegal."
Yep, and most of them get hit by the Better Business Bureau at some point. Customers who have software that doesn't work properly get pissy fast.
There are a couple of tricks that retail shops use, but this isn't the site to discuss such things as they are illegal.

Read the handbook. It contains the rules for this forum and they've been re-drafted by (shameless plug) me & edited/posted by Dave.