PDA

View Full Version : Dual monitors on a NVidia 7600GS?

Bucko
02-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Do I need to do anything to run dual monitors with my Nvidia 7600GS?
Or can I just plug one in the analogue port and one in the digital port?

crenn
02-15-2007, 08:27 AM
As long as you set it up, then you can run dual monitors on your 7600GS. But you have to plug one into the analogue port and one into the digital port. Then you have to either clone or extend your windows desktop onto the other.

Bucko
02-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Well I guess that is what I'm asking. What needs to be done to set it up?

slytherock
02-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Go into your display setup, select the unuse monitor, then just click on the box: Expend desktop to this monitor (or something like that..) that's it

Your can also do it trough the Nvidia setup

Durrthock
02-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Plug them in.
Turn it on.
Go to properties.
Go to settings
Click on the second monitor
click extend my windows desktop onto this monitor
Done

simon275
02-15-2007, 08:39 PM
That works ok Durrthock. But if you want the start bar extended across the bottom of the whole two screens. Then go into nvidia control panel and set the screen to horizontal span and that will pull your start bar across both screens.

Bucko
02-25-2007, 05:24 AM
Well I finally got around to setting it up.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2334/cameradump013wp8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

The right monitor is the main monitor with the start bar and basically is used for the Web, the smaller left is mainly used now for either watching videos, having Media Player in, or using it for MSN.

Bucko
02-25-2007, 08:10 AM
After having it running for a few hours and seeing what I can do, I have found a couple of problems with the set up.

1. I didn't do it earlier! This is great! I don't think I could go back to only one monitor again!

2. I need a bigger second monitor. That 14" Sony CRT just isn't cutting it.

So tomorrow, of to the Computer Shop for another monitor...

Gee those guys must love me and the money I keep spending there. I blame TBCS for my computer addiction.

Bucko
02-26-2007, 06:28 AM
Well I bought another monitor today. I got a cheap 19" widescreen to go with the 20" main monitor.
I love the setup now!
Thanks to all who replied too. I'll post a pic of the new setup once I find my camera cable.
I did a complete clean up and rearrange of my computer room and I still need to put everything back in here and find all that I have lost.

simon275
02-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Here is a site which tells you how to tweak your games so you can get them to run widescreen and across both monitors. http://www.widescreengamingforum.com.

I run two 19" lcds once you go two monitors you never go back.

Bucko
02-26-2007, 10:04 AM
I run two 19" lcds once you go two monitors you never go back.

And when you work with Nine monitors around you, 2 seems not enough.

Here's a pick of my work desk. I took two photo's with my phone and joined them at the middle screen.
I'll have to get a photo with a proper camera.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6515/alldeskub0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

simon275
02-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Dammm Where do you work? Steel mill?

Bucko
02-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Railway Control Centre. I look after all train movements for different areas.
We have 12 desks like that and control most of Country NSW from Newcastle.

Those lines on the screens in the middle are the tracks, and the signalling is done via computer.

simon275
02-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Your fellow controllers in Sydney managing the surban rail system seriously suck. Last night the screens at central station said my train was going to arrive in one minute 20 mins later it arrived.

Any way that must be a stressful job managing all that.

Imanage doing some wide screen flight simulator X on those.

Bucko
02-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Sydney is a completely different thing to us. RailCorp is stuck behind the times and doesn't want to change. There they have one guy (The Train Controller) who makes the decisions on where to run the trains, and others spread over the place (Signallers and Area Controllers) who do the actual signalling. They follow the Train Controllers directions.
I work for Australian Rail Track Corporation (or ARTC for short) and we are Network Controllers. We do a combined role of the Train controller and Signallers, so we make the decision, then implement it.
Basically, if there is no overhead wiring above the track, we control it.
Within the next couple of months all the upgrade work of the old signal boxes and control centres will be done and outside the electrified area there will only be 2 control centres for NSW. Newcastle and Junee. Both have the same style setup. Basically ARTC has taken a 60 year lease of the NSW network. They also do SA and country Victoria.

It can be a stressful job, but I like it. Work stays at work, so once my shift is over, I leave it all behind. That is a BIG plus for work in my books. But we do earn our money, that's for sure. I get roughly $60\hour and that should go up each year if I meet all the performance criteria, so in 2 years I should be on $80/hour.
The main thing I need to have is knowledge and the ability to remain calm in a crisis.
I've done my time in the Sydney metropolitan area and I won't go back. ARTC is soooooo much better than RailCrap.

simon275
02-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Wow thats a really good inside view into the rail system. +rep