PDA

View Full Version : Monitor with two video cards attached.

xRyokenx
02-18-2007, 12:40 AM
Could you hook up two video cards to one monitor for higher res/graphics? You know, where each card "draws" half the screen. If you could, you could get two low to mid range cards and still have good graphics, or if you're in 3D video editing or whatever...

-Anthony

SgtM
02-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Yeah, check out SLI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface) if you like NVIDIA or Crossfire (http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/index.html) if you're an ATI fan..

xRyokenx
02-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Alright, maybe in a "while" I'll build a rig with that, which would be cool. So that's what SLI is... too bad my card doesn't support it, but I don't have two AGP slots anyway... thanks sgtm, I know there are others out there that know this, but you beat them to it, +rep for answering a question I've had for a long time.

-Anthony

SgtM
02-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Anytime man.. I'm always willin to help someone out. Wish I would do the SLI thing too, but that's a complete upgrade for me.

xRyokenx
02-18-2007, 01:27 AM
The same for me, unless they have regular PCI video cards with that feature, I'd have to get a new mobo...

Indybird
02-18-2007, 04:05 AM
SLI and crossfire are only on PCI-Express Graphics cards. Also you need a SLI or crossfire compatible motherboard.

xRyokenx
02-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Ahh, thought so... in other words for SLI or Crossfire, you've gotta spend a lot of money, just like with everything else.

simon275
02-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Could you hook up two video cards to one monitor for higher res/graphics?

Back to the original question. Some monitors did this in the past. The older 30" dell screens needed two DVI inputs to power them. A screen like this is possible but there is no market demand for on you can't do it with a normal LCD.

xRyokenx
02-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Well, my current monitor has two inputs, so maybe in the future I can try it.

simon275
02-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Two of the same inputs?

Alot of monitors have multiple inputs of different types to feed from different sources.

xRyokenx
02-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Two of the same inputs, yes. This monitor came with a server that my dad got from work (he never uses the thing, it's crap), and it wasn't being used, so I took it... not sure what brand though, there's no label anywhere, and it doesn't say anything when you turn it on... I believe it was for with multiple computers, because you can change inputs... I'm betting there would be some way to set that up, but I'm not worried about it because I only have one card, no money, and my motherboard has only one PCIe slot. I was just wondering, but I may implement this in the (seemingly) distant future (a few years after college).