PDA

View Full Version : Server Question(s)

Zephik
02-20-2007, 11:36 PM
What would the minimum requirements for a private dedicated server be? In computing power and your own opinions I mean. Like the Processor, Ram, HDD space? It would probably be used for hosting websites, small media, stuff like that. Maybe around twenty or so people?

On another note, what are the server(s) for TBCS like?

nil8
02-21-2007, 12:16 AM
It depends on what you want to do.
Hosting websites and small files?
A heavy traffic fileserver?
An IRC relay?

Zephik
02-21-2007, 12:23 AM
It depends on what you want to do.
Hosting websites and small files?
A heavy traffic fileserver?
An IRC relay?

What is an IRC relay?

All of the above I suppose. But I don't want to go broke you know?

nil8
02-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Relays are servers that connect users into specific IRC networks. Such as DALnet or Efnet.

Your budget really determines what you want.
You can run an ftp server off a 500 mhz machine.
Or a well made 2 ghz box running WAMP to host webpages.

So, how large is your bottom line?

Zephik
02-21-2007, 03:37 AM
Well this is what I have laying around, I don't know if servers use special equipment though?

2.8 Pentium 4 Processor ( Socket 478 )
x2 256MB DDR RAM
300W PSU

I also have an old motherboard that ties it all together... So I was hoping that all I would need is software and a good HDD? I can probably get the software from my dads business and I'll just get a 40GB HDD for now. That way I can at least get it up and running and figure out how all of it works. Then of course, some time down the road a few months from now I'll go grab a pair of 320's or a 500GB or something like that and start offering it to my friends and family.

I should of just started out asking if this would be good enough to run a server? I've only had the thought of having one, so I haven't really looked into it that far.

simon275
02-21-2007, 06:44 AM
Servers need no special hardware a normal computer will work as a server. What is required is the software. Most servers though Have decent processors lots of ram and high access speed hard drives. But the computer you described above would work great as a server. You could even host CS:S off it.

After doing a traceroute on the forums I think it is hosted by http://www.fortressitx.com/.

Alot of the time setting up a server can be very rewarding. But unless you have a cable connection it can be very slow for people external to your network to access the server. As you need a decent upload speed. But with your requirements for numbers of people it should be fine unless your upload speed is slowwww. Also you need to remember your bandwidth usage will get used up quicker with people accessing your server through your conneciton. So if you end up on digg you could be looking at a large bill or speed throttling (depends on your plan).

A 40gb HDD should be fine as unless your connection is fast you won't be sharing large files which need that much space.

If you just want to serve up web pages with media downloads then the best webpage server software around is http://www.apache.org/. A good chunk of the net uses it. And a plus it is easy to setup.

If you want to share lots of files then you can setup and FTP server which can even allow friends to upload files to your server. There are many FTP servers one is http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/.

Remember on your router and firewall you need to open port 80 for http and port 21 if you setup an ftp server. Both use the TCP/IP protocol.

nil8
02-21-2007, 10:53 AM
rep+ to simon for that explanation.
He's completely correct as well, that hardware will run a great server.
If you're wanting to host files, all you need is a box that can run the software. I host my ftp server on an 800 mhz athlon.

He's also correct about bandwidth consumption. If you have normal residential bandwidth, you might use all of your upload speed for your server depending on what you do. Most EULA's for ISPs forbid people hosting internet servers off of residential internet connections. Check the fine print, if you don't it could come around and bite you in the ass.

What simon is talking about with the ports is called port fowarding. All the packets incoming and outgoing on a specific port are directed by the router to a specific machine. You should have a static IP for this machine, or you could have problems.

If you want to run a webserver and use windows, your best option is wamp (http://www.wampserver.com/en/). Wamp is Apache, PHP5 and MySQL rolled into a single windows package and designed so the 3 work in unison immediately. It simplifies using open source programs in windows for webhosting.

As for FTP, I use a program called CerebusFTP. It's free, small and works well. I got it off download.com

So Snow, the million dollar question is what you want to run a server for?

Zephik
02-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Servers need no special hardware a normal computer will work as a server. What is required is the software. Most servers though Have decent processors lots of ram and high access speed hard drives. But the computer you described above would work great as a server. You could even host CS:S off it.
I didn't even think about hosting video games off of it! Good idea!

After doing a traceroute on the forums I think it is hosted by http://www.fortressitx.com/.

Alot of the time setting up a server can be very rewarding. But unless you have a cable connection it can be very slow for people external to your network to access the server. As you need a decent upload speed. But with your requirements for numbers of people it should be fine unless your upload speed is slowwww. Also you need to remember your bandwidth usage will get used up quicker with people accessing your server through your conneciton. So if you end up on digg you could be looking at a large bill or speed throttling (depends on your plan).
I have broadband wireless by Verizon, but my friend has cable. I suppose I could set it up over at his house and give him free access to it.

A 40gb HDD should be fine as unless your connection is fast you won't be sharing large files which need that much space.
Thats good to know, I didn't think I would need a bigger HDD for now.

If you just want to serve up web pages with media downloads then the best webpage server software around is http://www.apache.org/. A good chunk of the net uses it. And a plus it is easy to setup.

If you want to share lots of files then you can setup and FTP server which can even allow friends to upload files to your server. There are many FTP servers one is http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/.

Remember on your router and firewall you need to open port 80 for http and port 21 if you setup an ftp server. Both use the TCP/IP protocol.
Thanks for the tips!

rep+ to simon for that explanation.
He's completely correct as well, that hardware will run a great server.
If you're wanting to host files, all you need is a box that can run the software. I host my ftp server on an 800 mhz athlon.
Thats awesome, I thought my hardware wasn't going to be able to do it. lol

He's also correct about bandwidth consumption. If you have normal residential bandwidth, you might use all of your upload speed for your server depending on what you do. Most EULA's for ISPs forbid people hosting internet servers off of residential internet connections. Check the fine print, if you don't it could come around and bite you in the ass.
Is there a list out there that tells you which forbid hosting internet servers and which don't?

What simon is talking about with the ports is called port fowarding. All the packets incoming and outgoing on a specific port are directed by the router to a specific machine. You should have a static IP for this machine, or you could have problems.
How do I setup a static IP? I've done a little bit with port forwarding, but not much. At least I am familiar with it.

If you want to run a webserver and use windows, your best option is wamp (http://www.wampserver.com/en/). Wamp is Apache, PHP5 and MySQL rolled into a single windows package and designed so the 3 work in unison immediately. It simplifies using open source programs in windows for webhosting.

As for FTP, I use a program called CerebusFTP. It's free, small and works well. I got it off download.com
Oooh, I like free! lol

So Snow, the million dollar question is what you want to run a server for?
At the moment, I am not really sure as to what I want it for other than to learn about servers, thats my main priority with this plan. But I just have these computer parts laying around and I was trying to think of how I could use them in a way that I could benefit the most from them. I actually have two sets of spare motherboards, ram, 2.8p4 proc's, and PSU's. The only difference between the two is that one is ATX and the other is mATX. I'll probably use the mATX for the server. The other one will most likely just sit in a corner for a couple years collecting dust. lol

I guess to be able to access my files and possibly my friends files from anywhere I am in the world would be pretty cool. But other than that, for now, I just want to gain the experience. ^_^

Zephik
02-21-2007, 03:38 PM
I just had an idea. Maybe I could set up the computer I am on right now as a temporary server for myself? Just until I get my dedicated server up and running. But this one would be kind of nice to have as a server because its _always_ connected to the internet and it has a P4 2.8, 320GB HDD, and 1.5GB RAM. It also has all of my media, so that would be kind of cool to be able to access my movies and music from my friends house instead of lugging around my computer wherever I go.

nil8
02-21-2007, 08:09 PM
It would be nice, but it will still take some time to transfer the files in between places.
If you're looking at more than a cd(700mb), you're looking at hours.

Zephik
02-21-2007, 08:28 PM
It would be nice, but it will still take some time to transfer the files in between places.
If you're looking at more than a cd(700mb), you're looking at hours.

Hmmm, well it's better than nothing I suppose. I could use it for games too though. ^_^

How do you host games on your own server? I don't get how that works, because when you log onto a game, you pick from a list of servers that the game developers offer... So how do people do that? Is it illlegal?

.Maleficus.
02-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Download the dedicated server installer for the game you want, and follow the directions the developer provides.

nil8
02-22-2007, 01:25 AM
It's entirely legal. Most games have a dedicated server program designed solely for hosting, so you don't have to have the game running on the machine.

You don't have to own the game to run a dedicated server in most cases.

You download the DS, read the readme, find some support/wiki sites, install and configure that bad boy, then see how well it works. The first time you go through it, it will probably be a bit frustrating and take more time than it should.

After a couple of frustrating moments and you get everything straightened out, you'll be happy how well it runs. Just remember 2 things about running a home server.

1. You won't pay nearly as much attention to it as your regular PC. Once a month check for dust buildup, check the fans, make sure it's not making strange noises, normal routine maintenance. It takes half an hour and can save you from failure.

2. Battery backups & routine backups. I know it sounds boring, but it can save your hide. Use a UPS and back your server files up to CD or DVD during your monthly check.

What game are you thinking of hosting?

Zephik
02-22-2007, 03:00 AM
I don't know what game just yet, the only two I play is WarRock and WoW.

b4i7
02-22-2007, 11:35 AM
not to derail your thread or anything SF...but it runs along the same lines....

im wantin to create and host my own website.... whats the easiest way to go about designing the website and hosting it from my comp?

nil8
02-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Sorry I couldn't resist. I'm in a goofy mood. ily '47! :D The easiest way is to first decide what type of site you want to create. That will help you determine what kind of traffic to expect. Then you need to decide how you want your site to look graphically. That will help determine the language it needs to be written in, or at least how many different types you may need to incorporate. Lastly, make some test pages. Don't make anything live, until you have tested out some things locally to see how they look. And read back a few posts. There was a link to an Apache/something/something (busy here can't remember) combo that you should get, for when you ARE ready to go live with your site.

The last thing is to get a DNS. If you don't have a static IP then you need to get a utility to update your DNS info with the current IP, say... Daily? weekly? depends on your ISP.

Theres a lot more, but thats kind pointing you towards the path

-Jai

He is right about setting up a dns. www.dydns.org has a great little program that can run on your Windows box and automatically update when you tell it to.
I use them for some free work. One of the older dynamic DNS services on the net.

The Apache 2/PHP 5/MySQL 5 combo is called WAMP. It's LAMP for Windows.

There's a ton of info on how to get apache configured and working the way you want. It's free as well. Can't beat free.

.Maleficus.
02-22-2007, 06:07 PM
I have a quited advanced website designer that's free. You can find it under Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad :D.

But yeah, that's how I'm doing mine. Good ol' HTML and CSS. There are things like Dreamweaver and such, but I don't have the time to learn that, though I'll be able to at the end of this semester at school :).

DaJe
02-28-2007, 11:40 AM
How good of a server do you guys think I could run off a Pentium 4 and 736MB of RAM?

nil8
02-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Once again, it depends on what you want to do.
Most dedicated servers can be run on slower hardware.

SgtM
02-28-2007, 01:33 PM
When I had my host still up, I had a 2.8 Ghz p4, 1 gig of RAM and 2 x 120 Gig HDD's, and 10mbps connection to the internet backbone. All of this was hosted by The Planet in their data center in Dallas, TX. I had a few sites on the machine. I don't remember all of the stats but I was trasferring about 3 gigs/mo of data from the server to the internet. Never had a complaint about latency.