PDA

View Full Version : DVD Drive

Dem Pyros
02-21-2007, 12:55 AM
Not a single fricken clue where this goes.

I'm extremely pissed, so i'll make this short.

I have an inspiron 6000 laptop. It [censored] sucks.

My DVD drive has gone schizo and decided to crap out on me. It reads CD's fine, but all DVD's it loads. Insert dvd, then you hear the dvd start to spin up, then you hear the noise that sounds like the laser head moving rapidly, and then it spins down. Repeat about 10 times until the drive says there's no DVD in there.

I've replaced the firmware.
I've re-installed the driver
I've rebooted multiple times.

I have no idea what to do.

nil8
02-21-2007, 02:35 AM
Replace the drive. It sounds like the laser is fubar.

Dem Pyros
02-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Aw [censored].

Well i swapped out the hard drive with that from my sister's computer, so apparently it's not software.

i hate dell :(

klingelton
02-22-2007, 10:03 AM
heh welcome to the club of dell haters! they take much more keeping than regular pc's

Redundant
02-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Well i swapped out the hard drive with that from my sister's computer, so apparently it's not software.

He meant about replacing the DVD drive, not the harddrive. Maybe you can buy a replacement DVD drive if you need it badly.

Dem Pyros
02-22-2007, 07:22 PM
He meant about replacing the DVD drive, not the harddrive. Maybe you can buy a replacement DVD drive if you need it badly.
I know what he meant. I was just saying that i know it wasn't software related because i had used a different hard drive.

Would replacing the DVD drive, because it's a laptop, be that difficult? It's not a modular bay.

nil8
02-22-2007, 08:21 PM
I can almost guarantee it's a modular bay behind trim, or has an easy replacement. Optical drives in laptops are often easy to remove.

Dem Pyros
02-22-2007, 08:51 PM
I can almost guarantee it's a modular bay behind trim, or has an easy replacement. Optical drives in laptops are often easy to remove.Could you guide me a tutorial for an inspiron 6000 please?

nil8
02-23-2007, 12:34 AM
PM me the specific model. I'll see if I can find a tech guide.

Dem Pyros
02-23-2007, 12:48 AM
PM me the specific model. I'll see if I can find a tech guide.
What do you mean "Specific model"? What more do you need to know then the generic model?

nil8
02-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Different models of laptops are made differently, even from the same class.
Is it just an inspirion 6000 or is it a 6200 or 6500p or what?

nil8
02-23-2007, 01:55 AM
Dell has some outlandish prices on their replacement parts.
I suggest jumping on ebay or using newegg. Laptop optical drives are fairly compatible, but verify this before you spend money. It could be an issue.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/index.htm

HTML Documents ->Service Manual -> Download*
It's a zip file, unpack the files and open begin0.htm
Read this page, take out the battery like it says.
Scroll to the bottom, Click the 'Back to Contents Page' link, then click optical drive. There should be one or two screws that hold the unit in place. The optical drive page contains the instructions necessary.

*I couldn't get the web view to work, it would timeout.

Good luck.

Dem Pyros
02-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Different models of laptops are made differently, even from the same class.
Is it just an inspirion 6000 or is it a 6200 or 6500p or what?
Yeah, it's just a 6000.

Dell has some outlandish prices on their replacement parts.
I suggest jumping on ebay or using newegg. Laptop optical drives are fairly compatible, but verify this before you spend money. It could be an issue.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6000/en/index.htm

HTML Documents ->Service Manual -> Download*
It's a zip file, unpack the files and open begin0.htm
Read this page, take out the battery like it says.
Scroll to the bottom, Click the 'Back to Contents Page' link, then click optical drive. There should be one or two screws that hold the unit in place. The optical drive page contains the instructions necessary.

*I couldn't get the web view to work, it would timeout.

Good luck.
I went to newegg and only saw two DVD drives that were slim....but they were still fairly expensive compared to desktop drives, but this should be expected because of size.

I'll try the website, thanks.