PDA

View Full Version : Underclocking?

jonopaul01
06-13-2005, 05:36 PM
So we all know about overclocking. Some of us (me) have learnt from hard experiences and others have just read about it but never tried it. But no one has ever thought of, wait for it, underclocking a processor. So why would you want to do this? the only real reason woudl be to make the computer very very quiet. For instance if you had a home amatuer recording studio. Anyway a whole review can be found at PCStats (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1798)

Frakk
06-13-2005, 06:49 PM
im undervolting my cpu, as much as i can without any lockups. underclocking wont help anything, its the volts that make the processor hot :D

MisterChief
06-13-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm confused. How does underclocking make your computer quiet? It's the fan, silly, not the proc. Just get a good watercooling with a big radiator or heatpipes, and there you go.

Frakk
06-13-2005, 07:34 PM
underclocking -> undervolting -> lower heat -> slower fans -> very quiet
and it is somewhat $300 cheaper than a good wc system

MisterChief
06-13-2005, 07:41 PM
underclocking -> undervolting -> lower heat -> slower fans -> very quiet
and it is somewhat $300 cheaper than a good wc system

Yeah, I thought that's what he meant. It's just that he said underclocking means a quiter computer, and he didn't say you could then use slow or no fans.

I think I was just being a nitpicky smartaleck :D:p

Zeus
06-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I thought that's what he meant. It's just that he said underclocking means a quiter computer, and he didn't say you could then use slow or no fans.

I think I was just being a nitpicky smartaleck :D:p

Trying very hard to look surprised here.

hmmmm, not working. Oh well :rolleyes:

jonopaul01
06-14-2005, 06:38 AM
Sorry for any confusion, I thought it was clear. I suppose you could get a watercooling system but these cost money (you don't want to buy a cheap one) and Underclocking your CPU (or anything else with a fan) doesn't. I just posted this in case anyone was interested, it isn't something I would do.

public_eyesore
06-15-2005, 11:37 AM
if you really care that much about case loudness, you could always just put it in your colset and run it from there :D