PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTS (320MB Version)

The boy 4rm oz
02-22-2007, 03:34 AM
Hi I was just wondering if two 8800GTS 320MB version in SLI would be better than an 8800GTX? Also how big are long are these cards and how much power do they consume?

Silenced_Coyote
02-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Off the top of my head I can only answer one of your questions. And that is about the dimensions. It is the same size as the 640MB version.

monoflap
02-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Two of those cards in sli would definitely beat a gtx but I don't see the point since you could buy the better card now and add a second one in later. The 8800 series cards take a ton of power, you need two pci-e connectors for each card (or four molex connects which is idiotic), so if you go sli, look for that feature in your psu.

The boy 4rm oz
02-23-2007, 05:25 AM
I know about the power issue but my main issue is water cooling. I think I wont worry bout it, just go a GTX.

Zalman
03-11-2007, 09:53 AM
I think you'd be better off going for the GTX. It would also save on your power requirememts, as having two GTS in SLI requires more power than a single GTX.

Indybird
03-11-2007, 10:53 AM
The 8800GTS 320MB version in SLI definitely would be better than a single 8800GTX. Also the 8800GTS 320MB and 640MB only have one PCI-E connector. Only the 8800GTX has two.

Then theres ATI who's X2900s will be using the new 8-Pin PCI-E Connector.

Hey, dont mean to get off topic bout the post but, Zalman I dont think you can have .gifs in your signature.

Ronyx
03-12-2007, 04:35 AM
I don't see the point in going SLi with 2 GTS's at this stage. If you get 1 GTX then you can upgrade to SLi with it in the future for probably the same cost as a GTS is at this stage.

Plus if you're gonna go for a DX10 card, you might as well go all out and get the best. I understand that you're thinking that two cheaper cards will give u better performance then one GTX, but remember that in the future when GTX's come down a bit with ATI's DX10 card release, you're gonna be thinking "why didn't i wait and get two GTX's instead of two GTS's. Now it costs the same..."

My advice would be to get a GTX and wait to SLI that bad boy.

Zalman
03-12-2007, 05:00 AM
Hey, dont mean to get off topic bout the post but, Zalman I dont think you can have .gifs in your signature.

Hi Indy, thanks. Didn't know the rules until just now, have since removed the animated gif from my sig.

The boy 4rm oz
03-12-2007, 09:11 AM
At the moment I will probs be going for the singlr GTX with no intentions of SLI because then my HDD wont fit, I need to spend even more on a DD waterblock, need a 800+W PSU plus I need to get the new card. Thats almost the cost of a good office PC. Single card for me and just upgrade to the new best thing in three years time.

Ticien
03-12-2007, 10:14 AM
If you have a CompUSA by you you might want to check there, a lot of them are closing and everything is on sale in those stores, including the 8800. You could save a bit of money there if it was an issue. I was even tempted to get one and I just bought 2 video cards not 2 months ago.

Spawn-Inc
03-12-2007, 03:28 PM
can you mix video cards in sli or do they have to be exactly the same?
ex.
1 8800GTX with 1 8800GTS

onelegout
03-12-2007, 03:59 PM
They have to be exactly the same.

bartvandenberg
03-14-2007, 09:00 PM
A SINGLE 8800 GTX will OUTPERFORM 2 8800gts 320 mb cards in SLI.

not only that, but.. then you will have the option of upgrading later on, instead of filling boths slots with 2 slower cards.

I still dont think people understand that SLI is not whats its cracked up to be quite just yet. Yes, there are games that benefit, but. then there are others that dont at all.

besides.... 2 8800 gts's would consumer more power, take up more space, add more heat, add more noise (since the cards have noisy fans) not get performance gain, and MOST IMPORTANTLY>>>>COST MORE!!! with no room to upgrade.

and this is fact, not IMO.

thanks for hearing me rant and rave

Spawn-Inc
03-14-2007, 11:54 PM
which is the best manufacter to get a 8800gtx? i was think either evga, asus, bfg. and is it better to get it overclocked already or do it urself?

The boy 4rm oz
03-15-2007, 02:00 AM
BFG is great because they have a lifetime warrenty, XFX is also good for overclocked cards. I'm going for a Sparkle card because I save about $300 compared to an XFX or BFG equivelent, only down side is no lifetime warrenty.

Spawn-Inc
03-15-2007, 02:24 AM
if you watercooled it would that void the warrenty?

Silenced_Coyote
03-15-2007, 03:37 PM
BFG is great because they have a lifetime warrenty, XFX is also good for overclocked cards. I'm going for a Sparkle card because I save about $300 compared to an XFX or BFG equivelent, only down side is no lifetime warrenty.

How are you saving $300? Mind telling me where you are going to buy this card so I can buy one too?

Spawn-Inc
03-15-2007, 04:18 PM
ya i was trying to find that deal too but couldn't. but will water cooling your card void your warrenty?

bartvandenberg
03-15-2007, 05:30 PM
but will water cooling your card void your warrenty?

as far as i know, yes. i think even changing to an artic cooling solution like my nvsilencer does.

But anyway. what do people go nuts about a lifetime warranty? how long are you gonna have this card for? itll be outdated give it 2-3 years tops.

and bfg is not exactly on the "high end" of things as far as im concerned. and asus' video cards are overpriced.

ill stick behind an XFX/EVGA card anyday. but.. as far as im concerned, those are about the only 2 id stick with. (aside from my gigabyte, which is still running strong o'c for 2 years now)

Redundant
03-15-2007, 07:09 PM
but will water cooling your card void your warrenty?
There are some that already have water blocks installed (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143079). They cost more but it doesn't 'void your warranty'. I really don't see why it costs so much more though...

Spawn-Inc
03-16-2007, 12:51 AM
ya i saw that one for 1000 2 or 3 weeks ago. why does that card have 2 pci power slots?

The boy 4rm oz
03-16-2007, 03:51 AM
The GTX has two power slots because it needs the extra power.

I know about the cards that come with pre-installed water blocks and I know about how water cooling voids warrenties.

I can save about $300 because Sparkle is a cheeper brand over the bigger brands. In Australia we have a computer search engine called staticice (www.staticice.com.au), this lists the top 20 prices for the product you list into the search engine (like google). Over some rrp's I can save about $300 AUS. My card is costing me about $836AUS and a XFX or BFG or even MSI equivelant card can cost me anywhere from $1000 AUS to $1200 AUS.

Silenced_Coyote
03-16-2007, 05:09 PM
It's great that you are saving a lot. But the final price compared to what I pay here in the US is still a lot. Why is the price difference so high in Australia?

You mentioned a Google-like search engine. I used Google before and it doesn't always find the lowest price.

Spawn-Inc
03-17-2007, 12:00 AM
The GTX has two power slots because it needs the extra power.

I know about the cards that come with pre-installed water blocks and I know about how water cooling voids warrenties.

I can save about $300 because Sparkle is a cheeper brand over the bigger brands. In Australia we have a computer search engine called staticice (www.staticice.com.au), this lists the top 20 prices for the product you list into the search engine (like google). Over some rrp's I can save about $300 AUS. My card is costing me about $836AUS and a XFX or BFG or even MSI equivelant card can cost me anywhere from $1000 AUS to $1200 AUS.

ya i later figured that out. i knew they need extra power i was just wondering why there was two plugs. on the earnmax galaxy 850watt psu i only saw two plugs for it so i assumed that it was one plug for each card. but they have another two that you can hook up to the second video card.

The boy 4rm oz
03-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Staticice.com is really good because it only shows prices in australia, well only prices for stock that has been submitted by distriuters. I pay with cash anyway so I save even more money lol.

Ronyx
03-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Australian prices are WAY inflated because of a couple of things:
1: The cards are not made locally, meaning shipment costs for fragile items will turn out to be more then just 50$.
2: The hassle companies make for themselves when selling US items in Australia. If someone comes to return a faulty card the company then has to ship it BACK to US which will cost them $$$
3: Business is business, if you wanna make a profit you have to make the prices higher then normal.

All these things add up to be a massive hike in prices for Australian buyers as opposed to just buying the card off newegg and not paying some other company to take care of the warranty of your card.

The boy 4rm oz
03-18-2007, 05:58 AM
Exactly Ronyx. By the way, my sustem is gonna end up almost identical to your appart from the ram and psu (Neo 550)