PDA

View Full Version : does this even exist???

runawaycloser
06-13-2005, 11:35 PM
:? Hey guys, I'm looking for something, some sort of LCD display for a 5.25 external bay that can play music off my harddrive (ie: winamp) ... there is a catch .... it MUST have a remote ... cause you know, remotes are cool lol Does anyone know of something like that?

Thanks so much if you can find that! I've looked everywhere! :D

Cymae
06-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Ok,i dont know if you can get one integrated, but im pretty sure you can attatch a remote unit to your computer, which you'll have to set for the program you want, and that'll be running on the lcd, so you can use a remote on it. This is the best way i can think of...
even if you do something that specifically does that, it might not be cheaper.

MrSlacker
06-14-2005, 12:17 AM
you mean something like this http://www.thermaltake.com/accessories/a1875xpeaker/a1875xpeaker.htm but this doesnt have a remote and LCD

Cymae
06-14-2005, 12:25 AM
hmm, i know you can setup your pc to work with a remote...
*tries to remember where she saw it*
i hate forgetting things that i know...

Cymae
06-14-2005, 12:41 AM
these are the articles i found:
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/ir/irremote.html

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/1475/remotectrl.html

runawaycloser
06-14-2005, 08:41 AM
I found something SUPER close ... "maxdy multimedia hub", its got the remote and stuff, only one prob, it doesn't access the songs from your harddrive, which defeats my purpose. The thermaltake one you were talking about is cool, but I'm planning on plugging it into my 5.1 surround sound z5300 from logitech, I wouldn't use those little speakers that are attached, and plus the no remote thingy too. This is truly something hard to find, and it's so simple, you would expect it to exist for sure! BTW, money is not an issue when modding my pc.

Malatory
06-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Why not just get a all in wonder Video card or TV turner card and use the remote that come with that. Install Linux and Use MythTV. Lot of the LCD screens have plug ins like CrystalFont (sp) to work with Winamp.

ZeD
06-14-2005, 01:04 PM
http://www.pcremotecontrol.com/info.html

as for a stereo to play the music I cant think of the brand right now, but they make one with a remote, with FM stereo, EQ, but I dont think it plays winamp on its own though, your better off with a plain tuner card with FM and remote though. the leadtek TV2000 expert is a great card and can be had very cheaply, it also gives the haupage cards a serious run for the money and can capture straight to divx

Frakk
06-14-2005, 03:00 PM
what you are looking for is an mp3 player with lcd display that uses your hard drive? no such thing. you would have to play it from the computer

runawaycloser
06-14-2005, 04:54 PM
thats what I meant
the madxy multimedia hub display music and has a remote, BUT it doesn't play it from winamp and such, it plays cds.

Frakk
06-14-2005, 04:59 PM
the best you can get is a LIS display with a standard pc remote. it would require winamp to run, but thats the most you will get since there are no mp3 players reading out of a hard drive while you are using it for other stuff. you would have a lot more options customizing both the display and the remote too, other than playing/displaying music.

runawaycloser
06-14-2005, 05:18 PM
1-Whats an LIS display?

2-And I think I might have to go that route ... Get a pc remote and configure it to work with winamp, i just wanted to also avoid having some sort of receiver on my desk. Is there any way to conceal that winthin the pc or even is there a receiver that you can hide in a 5.25 or 3.5?

ZeD
06-14-2005, 09:31 PM
what you are looking for is an mp3 player with lcd display that uses your hard drive? no such thing. you would have to play it from the computer
sure they do , check crutchfeild, they make removabkle mp3 players for automotive use, they have onboard storage.

Frakk
06-14-2005, 09:53 PM
yeah but i dont think they use the hd in the same time with a computer.

simons-shadow
06-24-2005, 10:48 PM
hello,

yer i found a web site who wrote a topic on one last night then only thing is i thought i saved it to my book marks and when i came to post i couldnt find it :?

im not sure of the site i was visting because it was like 3 in the morning and i couldnt be bothered really. i remembered the site was saying that you would have to get one of those universal remotes and build a program in c or c++ so the computer reconized the remote. of course a Ir port of some sort will be needed. then you could program the buttons to do persific things of course not all the buttons will be in use.

i will try and find the site agian for you later on, but im not promessing :p

have fun and good luck on the mod :D

*edit*

also it might be a good idea to look at some head units what are for sale in good car outlets, these most of the time come supplyed with a remote. check out

www.maxpower.co.uk and look at some of there linked shops.
note this is only a idea. :p
simon,

simons-shadow
06-26-2005, 10:24 AM
hello,

ok iv found another site for you, im not too sure about the lcd screen i guessing you can hook it up some way but there is a remote iv found what will work with you computer and you are able to select music. im sure this will help

http://www.edge-tech.co.uk/html/product_page.html

simon,