PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh, Spaghetti-ohs.

xRyokenx
02-28-2007, 01:28 PM
My HDD is squeaking, constantly. Not only is it annoying, but I think I'ma have to call up Maxtor on this one. It's kinda no-duh to back up my drive, which I'm going to try to do in a moment. Any idea what could be causing the squeaking, etc? All help will be greatly appreciated.

-Anthony

Crimson Sky
02-28-2007, 02:21 PM
any clicking as well or just squeeks?

xRyokenx
02-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Just squeaks... too bad WD-40 won't help in this situation.

EDIT: I know that squeaking is more of a mechanical problem, but could it be something to do with the RAM?

AJ@PR
02-28-2007, 03:04 PM
EDIT: I know that squeaking is more of a mechanical problem, but could it be something to do with the RAM?

I see no connection between RAM and HDD.

Did you try the Hammer Technique? :p

xRyokenx
02-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Nah, I don't feel like spending more money on this thing, heh heh. It would be nice if that were to work though.

Drew
02-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Tried a mouse trap?

Sorry, couldn't help it...

xRyokenx
02-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Huh, I guess WD-40 did work... wow, that's something to remember. ;)

Just kidding, it seems to have lessened down on the squeaking... I'ma see if I can't back it up on my dad's external HDD that he uses for that purpose when he gets home. Just when I thought all this crap was over.

progbuddy
02-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Huh, I guess WD-40 did work... wow, that's something to remember. ;)

Just kidding, it seems to have lessened down on the squeaking... I'ma see if I can't back it up on my dad's external HDD that he uses for that purpose when he gets home. Just when I thought all this crap was over.

I have a couple of spare drives (a samsung 80 GB and a Maxtor 80 GB) that you might be able to use. Ever thought of switching to SATA :p?

xRyokenx
02-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Actually, the squeaking went away. But my "little" problem in my real life has gotten larger... we'll get to that when it's over. I'll "borrow" whichever of those drives is faster. Switching to SATA sounds like a good idea, when I have more money that'll be something to do.

Omega
02-28-2007, 07:48 PM
I've noticed that Maxtor hard drives like to fail.

I only use everything but Maxtor right now. I'm running dual Western Digitals (80GB Cavalier & 160GB Cavalier SE) at the moment.

xRyokenx
02-28-2007, 07:54 PM
My dad got this one on some crazy sale at Staples anyway... how much more do SATA drives tend to cost? I'd like at least 120gb and have a reasonably fast one for playing games.

Omega
02-28-2007, 08:12 PM
My dad got this one on some crazy sale at Staples anyway... how much more do SATA drives tend to cost? I'd like at least 120gb and have a reasonably fast one for playing games.

You can get a 250gb 7200RPM Western Digital Caviar SE for 70$.

That's cheap for the size and performance, which isn't phenomenal, but it's not horrid either.

It's on newegg.

xRyokenx
02-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Maybe after I next get paid... I'll go ahead and look for a good one later, for now, I haves to clean.

xRyokenx
02-28-2007, 11:45 PM
It seems as though the items that get the sale prices are usually the ones that suck. I'ma look into getting a SATA drive hopefully in the near future (but not likely). If I can't soon, I'll just buy progbuddy's Samsung 80gb to use temporarily. Still, what does the squeaking mean? I'd like to know so if it happens in the future, and I don't have you guys to ask, I'm prepared (heh, close to the Boy Scout motto, btw, I'm an Eagle ;)).