PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

smash
06-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Well, summer is upon us, and I am out of school. I am quite bored with my PC and want to mod it. Can you give me any tips on what I should do that could be interesting and fun?I have lots of wires, i tried to organize them and it helped, but zip ties can only do so much. I have lots of hardware in them so yeah.

Base your decision off of an unmodded Thermaltake Damierv6000 series case, silver
I can't seem to find any pictures but Ill take some and submit them later.
btw, how do u post pictures?

smash

Frakk
06-14-2005, 06:53 PM
you have to host your pictures somewhere, then there is an embedded code for forums, something like [IMG]url[IMG/], you have to put in here and tadam! i dont know what you should do with your computer, its like me asking you what should i do with my drawer. get the idea? :D

smash
06-14-2005, 07:29 PM
well, digital camera will be here soon (since my mom uses it for her work) and I just wanna see some creative ideas like: oh your computer has a whole blank right panel, cut some holes in the and dadadadad lalalala. Just some ideas that a new modder can do to make his/her case look good at LAN parties (which im going to next week). Also any tips on wire organizing? as in where to hide it or something. If you need to know what my case looks like, it's here
http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/Damier/v6000a.htm
thanks again

smash

(AIM sn: polishlanman)

pointedsirforky
06-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Looks like a great base to start from to me. Personally, I'd start by taking brand names off of the case replacing them with something more personalized, but, thats just me.

As is said in many other places on the forums here, we can help you with any problems with the mod when you get there, but, the ideas have to start with you. That said, we'd be happy to hear any ideas you may have, and, perhaps one of us will have a thought about one of them.

To start:
- paint any colors do you like?
- any graphics you'd like to put on the machine?
- How extensive to you want the mod to be? Will you be busting out the power tools? :P
- Etching on the window, maybe?
- A creatively designed carrying handle for the top of the machine would be useful for lans, but, I've seen too many cases where someone just bolted on some kitchen hardware they found at the local hardware store.

smash
06-14-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm willing to bust out the power tools, i don't really feel like painting, i like the sleek metallic-ness of the case. I'm just really drawing a blank on the mod ideas because i am new to this.

what would you recommend I do for the handle? Should I buy one of those nice lit up handles from Xoxide.com? or should I make one? i dunno.
But I also want to organize all my wires. More than now, they are just zip tied, i don't seem to be too good with sleeves, so any other recommendations?

smash

it's also quite a bit noisy because of all the fans. Any ideas how to quiet it without losing cooling ability? (yes I know organizing the wires more would make it cooler, but how?)

MisterChief
06-14-2005, 11:02 PM
If you need some ideas, look in the Reviews/Previews forum for my list of upcoming projects. ;)

Xato
06-15-2005, 01:55 AM
Cable management can also be in the form of actually hiding you cables... This can often be a lot harder than sleeving and zip tying them.
In my opinion, thats not really a good case to start modding with, unless you are going to do the real basics, like internal lighting etc.
That aside, some projects could include...
-Etched window (as pointy mentioned)
-Front door window
-Stealth the CD drives
-Interior lighting
-Additional Fans (usually in top of case to get rid of excess heat)

smash
06-15-2005, 05:27 PM
I think it's an OK case to mod with, lots of blank space on the inside and on the rigt side etc. The front as a door so the drives are already consealed, more fans wouldn't fit since the case came with five fans and there is no more spots for fans.

I think i might do the usual internal UV paint, uv lighting, PSU mod, etc.

thanks guys

smash

nil8
06-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Cooler but quieter? Try watercooling.

smash
06-16-2005, 11:03 PM
Cooler but quieter? Try watercooling.

WAYYY to much money

Xato
06-17-2005, 02:13 AM
Buckets of water aren't cheap you know.

smash
06-19-2005, 01:07 AM
hahaha, it's not that, getting a kit and buying all the required parts is expensive.

did u know that Jennifer Lopez imports sea water from a Latin country and puts it in bottles, sells it for lots of money and the perfume is called, sea water. lol

smash

Xato
06-19-2005, 01:54 AM
Thats because most people are consumer whores.

And yes, watercooling is expensive. I mean, if you're going to pay for watercooling, you may as well buy phasechange aswell. :D

arch2004
07-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Watercooling can be inexpensive with the right stuff. I installed a Kingwin AWC-1 Arctic Liquid System in my PC and it works great. Easy to install, and is only about $90 for the full kit. Took me about 20 minutes to install.

As far as the cables, you can try and run some of the wiring under the motherboard, and replace the IDE cables with round ones. There's also heat shrink wrap designed for the cables that you could use to tighten things up. Or even hide the excess cable behind the back side of the mounting rack for the drives so that they are out of view if you have a clear side window.

If you have more than one cd drive, you might want to consider consolodating them into 1 drive, same goes for if you have more than one hard drive. Large hard drives are fairly inexpensive now. Just saw a 320GB drive for $140 on Newegg.