PDA

View Full Version : 3000+ Venice Overclocking

AKA_RA
06-14-2005, 07:27 PM
All attempts at overclocking my new venice core have failed. ive gotten my fsb upto 220 but every time i try to run a game or benchmark with the fsb higher than 204 i get either a BSOD or my pc locks up completely. ive got a thermaltake silent boost with a smart fan on it cranked up so loud it souds like my computers gonna take flight. ive tried boosting the voltage, but that only yields higher temps and an even less stable OC. Im running dual sticks of patriot ram on an abit AV8, and i know what your thinking, its my ram thats preventing my oc, but i know thats not the case. ive overclocked the ram in my other system just fine. Any input would be much appriciated.

Frakk
06-14-2005, 07:45 PM
it might be the motherboard. u say the ram did good in an other system, and the cpu is new, the mobo might not take the extra mhz's

MrSlacker
06-14-2005, 07:46 PM
probly your mobo or RAM are holding you back.

reddog418
06-14-2005, 08:12 PM
You might have the ealier version of the Abit AV8, Rev 1.0. If you contact Abit, they'll RMA your old board and give you the new Rev. 1.1.

Also, search up "av8 overclock" on the Anandtech forums and you'll find a bunch of topics.

http://forums.anandtech.com/search.aspx

AKA_RA
06-14-2005, 09:42 PM
I fianlly got a stable OC by lowering my LDT Bus Frequency...whatever that is. Thanks go out to reddog for suggesting the Anandtech forums. Ive managed to get upto 250 fsb with no problems. Making my 3000+, which runs at 1800mhz stock, run at 2250mhz with no noticable temp changes.

Zeus
06-14-2005, 10:07 PM
now I want to know what LDT freq is

Frakk
06-14-2005, 10:19 PM
LDT - An interconnection standard introduced by AMD that allows for fast data transfers among the Northbridge part of a chipset, the PCI bus(es), and the Southbridge part. In a multiprocessing machine the LDT bus can transfer data between sets of two processors. AMD now calls this technology HyperTransport.

I was suspecting it to be the HTT too :D

MisterChief
06-14-2005, 11:13 PM
LDT - An interconnection standard introduced by AMD that allows for fast data transfers among the Northbridge part of a chipset, the PCI bus(es), and the Southbridge part. In a multiprocessing machine the LDT bus can transfer data between sets of two processors. AMD now calls this technology HyperTransport.

I was suspecting it to be the HTT too :D

Obviously, that motherboad is an old revision. Anyways, I had a problem overclocking my brother's CelyD. I later found out it was the cheap OEM ram with bad timings that held it back.

Xbrid
06-19-2005, 05:11 AM
what sort of overclock would you expect to get with dangerden watercooling and venice 3000?

Frakk
06-19-2005, 07:32 AM
as always, it is impossible to tell what overclock you are gonna get. you might catch a good batch and get a nice oc, or a worse batch which wont overclock that good. it also depends on your memory and motherboard a great deal.