PDA

View Full Version : Psh, Wiimote? How about a brainmote!

Zephik
03-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Project Epoc (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/project-epoc-lets-you-control-video-games-with-your-noggin-240760.php)

Say goodbye to joysticks, controllers, and possibly even keyboards! Now this is breakthrough technology for game developers, can you even imagine the games that we could have with a controller like this??

I also wonder how this will affect society "mentally". Will we still need brainage for the Nintendo DS to exercise our brains? Or will we just simply have to play any game to give our brains their daily jog?

Durrthock
03-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Looks like a fake to me.
Ehemm Nintendo virtual reality helmet Ehemm
The only brain controlled things have to be hardwired into your head aka drilled into you skull

I mean really we don't even have voice control down yet.

Zephik
03-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Looks like a fake to me.
Ehemm Nintendo virtual reality helmet Ehemm
The only brain controlled things have to be hardwired into your head aka drilled into you skull

It very well could be a fake. But I think you watch too many scifi movies. ;)

It reads the slight electrical changes in the skin of your skull when you think of a certain thought. Basically you have to calibrate it like a joystick.

Sounds solid to me, but then again, I'm no neurologist nor do I study human anatomy or any of the such.

oh yeah, one more thing. We all know that this thing is destined to fail, But it's the thought that counts. I mean hell, we wouldn't have ANYTHING if it weren't for ideas. See, the great thing about ideas is, they can be worked with and improved upon. :)

Durrthock
03-03-2007, 10:45 PM
No the hardwiring thing was this guy who cant move can control a mouse pointer
with his brain but its attached to his brain.

xRyokenx
03-04-2007, 01:04 AM
I really do enjoy video games, but I also enjoy having a full head of hair, going bald is not something I'll do just to play the games I love in a different format, unless it was waaay more fun, but I'ma just wait until the technology improves, troubleshoot all the bugs, so if there's something wrong, I don't get adversely effected by it. I'm betting it would end up failing due to our paranoid society though, they hate new things...

EDIT: You probably would have to shave your head to get the best performance from that, depending on the "waves" it uses though...

luciusad2004
03-04-2007, 01:51 AM
I swear i thought i saw something like this before. Idk. I could have been imagining things. Anyway, that thing looks super geeky i don't know if i would want to be seen wearing one.

Also, i could see it being problematic depending on how "sensitive" it is. Lets say that, you have two options; Action a, and Action b.

What if when you think about Action a and it's consequences the device automatically performs Action a just because you thought about it. Idk, Im sure they wouldn't be marketing it if there was a serious flaw like that, but its something to think about.

But anyway, like i said, super geeky. No one would be caught dead with this unless they were hardcore geeks or gamers. It WOULD be nice to get past the problem of only having ten fingers though. Combo moves and confusing button layouts would be a thing of the past.

d_stilgar
03-04-2007, 02:33 AM
The concept has been proven. There is a guy who cannot move at all that people have been doing testing on for this. He can now explore (rather slowly) a virtual world with his thoughts. He trains the machine for hours a day. New commands take a long time to teach. I watched a show about it on TLC or Discovery or the like a few weeks back.

Drum Thumper
03-04-2007, 02:47 AM
The concept has been proven. There is a guy who cannot move at all that people have been doing testing on for this. He can now explore (rather slowly) a virtual world with his thoughts. He trains the machine for hours a day. New commands take a long time to teach. I watched a show about it on TLC or Discovery or the like a few weeks back.

I remember reading about this guy a couple months back. Wasn't he playing Galgala or Space Invaders?

Ichbin
03-04-2007, 03:29 PM
"Dont get it wet, You'll get lobotomized!"

"Special Gyro Sensor for the smash hit game: HEADBANGERS!"

Sorry, lol, im being silly.

CanaBalistic
03-04-2007, 03:35 PM
This is a nintendo device? Reminds me of that virtual reality tennis game that never caught on. I bet it does just aswell in sales.

The technology is there for this to work. However, since everybody's brain works slightly diffrent, it would take a long time to calibrate each function. You wouldnt want to think of dinner and accidently activate your last power up. Also, without a button set to work off of, how would you know what to think about to get the move/action you want.

xRyokenx
03-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Heh heh, instead of voice recognition or typing, we have thought recognition! Bye bye wrist pains due to a cyst and what I believe is carpal tunnel... with all the use my hands get on the computer, classwork, etc., it sucks to have them hurt as often as they do...

Durrthock
03-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Un hunh. Sure. :rolleyes:

-Jai

Lol