PDA

View Full Version : New Gaming Rig

AKA_RA
03-08-2007, 06:50 PM
I just picked up A gig stick of ram yesterday along with my MSI 7900GS, later on today i should be picking up my Pentium D 820 and an ASUS P5LDR REV.2 There will be a matching gig stick arriving when i have money.

What do you all think of this rig for gaming purposes.

Pics to come...

Zephik
03-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Doesn't sound too bad at all. Actually, I am kind of envious. If I wasn't a cheap ass I would love to have more power under the hood.

What do I think of this rig for gaming purposes?

hmmm... how do I answer that? It could probably handle any game out there. I mean, you can only see so much performance in gameplay. A good gpu and a nice mouse is pretty much all you need to experience gaming utopia. Well of course, a gig of ram is usually considered minimum for gaming, but it looks like you got that taken care of. ^_^

But you know what would be really sweet?

A NEW SIDE PANEL WINDOW! ...or something like that. :)

Actually what kind of case do you have? Have you modded it yet?

AKA_RA
03-08-2007, 09:22 PM
the case is completely unmodded other than the front panel, but pics for that are going in the work log i had started a while ago but had to stop.

i showed up and my local PC repair shop to pick up the motherboard, cpu, and vista. i got 2 out of the 3, the motherboard should be in tomarrow. now a lot to take pics of right now, but ill send some shortly anyways.

Silenced_Coyote
03-09-2007, 01:18 AM
It depends what game you want to play and how high you want the settings. But you should be able to handle any game.

AKA_RA
03-11-2007, 02:19 AM
i got the rig...and vista to boot!

im loving the settings i can run at. everything runs nicely on the 20in widescreen i got.

Silenced_Coyote
03-14-2007, 05:47 PM
How's your Vista experience? Because I don't know if I want to get it now or wait later. It would be nice to just buy it now so I don't have to reinstall Windows again so "soon". By the way, are you running 32 or 64-bit?

AKA_RA
03-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Vista is alright. Nothing that great. I get a lot of errors using IE, and im having trouble understanding why it opens it in the first place when firefox is my default browser.

Luke122
03-14-2007, 06:36 PM
<rant>Vista scares me. I'm waiting on some updates before I try it again. </rant>

D 820 rocks! I have one, super happy with it. I'm envious of the 7900, as I'm finding that my brothers 7900 is outperforming my x1950pro. Too bad i spent extra to get a crossfire mobo. :P

simon275
03-14-2007, 09:09 PM
my pentium D reads as:

PentiumD
840 SL88R MALAY
3.2GHZ/2M/800/05B
L520B155

I'm guessing that's good, right?

Jai

Yeah good clock speeds and 2mb's of cache. That must rip along nicely.

simon275
03-15-2007, 09:24 PM
that's 2mb shared between the two cores, right?
and 3.2Ghz is for both cores combined right?

I just don't know as much about the dual and quad-core architecture as I do about the P3's and 4's.. :(

-Jeremy

I believe that is right. Two cores on the same die both clocked at 3.2ghz and 1 mb of cache for each core

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_D

Hope this helps.