PDA

View Full Version : Via C7 & Cn700!!!

danthegeek
03-09-2007, 03:55 AM
What do you think about this combo for a home server. I wanted something that would be good on energy consumption and this was cheap. Ill also pair these with two 250GB Hds (maybe in raid, undecided) Just if you were wondering, this is supposed to be the 1.5Ghz C7.

Click Me (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813185094)
Click Me (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220171)

I did recieve the MB and Cpu but the memory will be in tomorrow. I just wanted to know if I made a good decision or not:D

.Maleficus.
03-09-2007, 08:06 AM
I just bought a 1Ghz C3 for a small home server, and hopefully that will perform decently. Damn FedEx taking 1.5 weeks...

But yeah, you should be fine with that. I didn't click your links, but they're to the HDDs and Mobo, correct? I don't know how much RAM you'll have, but I have a 733Mhz Celeron with 192Mb of RAM that would perform fine for a small home server. Yours might even be powerful enough for a backup desktop if yours ever crashes or needs repairs :up:

Crimson Sky
03-09-2007, 08:16 AM
That will be a fine board for a small server, quite reliable and low power.

LiTHiUM0XiD3
03-09-2007, 09:46 AM
lolz if u ask me thats over powered heh
DDR2 ram in a server?
pfft i used to run a K6-2 500Mhz server..... no fans... no noise... with also 192Mbs of ram.... ran like a dream.... was a box in a closet with a lil antenna sticking out of it..... in all truth..... speed of the ram and crap isnt gunna do much for ya fer a home server...... u want nice server performance get a few KILLER NICs.... supposed to be for gaming..... but it expands bandwidth wickedly

just my opinion....
:)
lolz $10 says that could run CS:S

armadilloben
03-09-2007, 07:25 PM
how do these VIA procs compare against some of the mainstream ones? at least the newer lines like C7 is what I mean.. Do they compare? or are they used on totally opposite ends of the spectrum?

-Jai

rofl jeremy i was gonna post a thread asking the same question right before i read this thread

PS "GET OUT OF MY BRAIN!!!" *slams face against keyboard*

.Maleficus.
03-09-2007, 07:34 PM
how do these VIA procs compare against some of the mainstream ones? at least the newer lines like C7 is what I mean.. Do they compare? or are they used on totally opposite ends of the spectrum?

-Jai
Depends on what you use if for I suppose. The main appeal (or to me at least) was the size, price, and speed. For $120 I got a 1Ghz CPU and a 6.7" mobo. Pretty decent if you ask me. If you're using it for gaming, well, there is one PCI slot... Get some nice PCI Graphics going, and you could definitely have some Quake 3 fun. But for servers/file storage? Oh, it's up there with anything I'd spend on for a server. I mean, if I went for an ATX server, it would probably be just as good for the price I'd be willing to pay, but bigger. I mean, it won't compare to any low end gaming system, but, its got a lot less with it. I'd say this is about 1/3 the total area of my current system's mobo, so for what it actually is, I'd say it could compare.

armadilloben
03-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Depends on what you use if for I suppose. The main appeal (or to me at least) was the size, price, and speed. For $120 I got a 1Ghz CPU and a 6.7" mobo. Pretty decent if you ask me. If you're using it for gaming, well, there is one PCI slot... Get some nice PCI Graphics going, and you could definitely have some Quake 3 fun. But for servers/file storage? Oh, it's up there with anything I'd spend on for a server. I mean, if I went for an ATX server, it would probably be just as good for the price I'd be willing to pay, but bigger. I mean, it won't compare to any low end gaming system, but, its got a lot less with it. I'd say this is about 1/3 the total area of my current system's mobo, so for what it actually is, I'd say it could compare.

OMG 8 MEG VRAM DID I HERE SCAN LINE INTERLEAVE OMGH4X0RRROFLBBQ!!!:banana::banana::banana::twiste d::twisted::twisted: lol

danthegeek
03-10-2007, 04:29 AM
Thanx everone for the replies. Sorry it took so long to get back. Well all of you were correct:banana: . This thing makes a great home server. I also like the fact that it barely uses any power so i can leave it on all the time without complaints.

I did benchamark the system with PcMark04

MY specs:
Via C7 1.5ghz
512 MB patriot ddr2 533
250 GB segate Sata 1.5
bla bla bla:alien:

Score: 1224

:D OK it breaks no records but considering this processor only uses .1 watts when at idle and 20 watts max I think It does ok. Its a snappy little system if you ask me and the processor dosent get above 34 degrees Centagrate at full load for an hour.

Thanx again everyone. :alien: