PDA

View Full Version : electroluminescent wire

robobot
06-16-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm thinking of using EL wire in a case mod I'm working on, but I would like some opinions before I make my final decision.

Has anyone else used EL wire in a mod?
Does it look good? What colors look the best?
Do the inverters pose a fire hazard or burn out quickly?
How easy is it to work with?
Where is the best place to get it? (I've been looking at elwirecheap.com)
Is there anything else I should know before deciding to use it?

MisterChief
06-16-2005, 07:33 PM
I'm thinking of using EL wire in a case mod I'm working on, but I would like some opinions before I make my final decision.

Has anyone else used EL wire in a mod?
Does it look good? What colors look the best?
Do the inverters pose a fire hazard or burn out quickly?
How easy is it to work with?
Where is the best place to get it? (I've been looking at elwirecheap.com)
Is there anything else I should know before deciding to use it?

Umm, interesting use of font... :rolleyes: Perhaps if you search the forums for similar threads like this one here http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648; well it's about sleeving, but you can PM the OP for his expierience with EL wire.

robobot
06-16-2005, 10:45 PM
yeah, I got a little carried away with the advanced editor. It was so shiny.

I'll see what the OP has to say aboutthe EL wire stuff.

Xato
06-17-2005, 02:34 AM
A note on Inverters...
Inverters themselves are just as dangerous and stable as any other component in your system... like a PSU, or a Motherboard. That is, they rely on quality... ie. A quality inverter, means no case fires.

Malatory
06-17-2005, 09:14 AM
Problems that I ran into was the EL wire lost it glow, Like a light burning out, it slowly gets darker and darker.

temmink
06-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Ok, Now I have a quick q for you guys who have some experiance with the ol' el wire. Obviously its insulated but would you be able to run it through some of your water cooling tubing, submersed in your cooling fluid? If you used non conductive fluid? Anyway, just thinking through some ideas for my new case, BF2 is here on Thursday, uni holidays are here on Tuesday and I need an upgrade ;). (If anyone is interested I am working on some line drawings atm, I'll have something to show in a couple of days. I may even post it :)).

Frakk
06-17-2005, 03:07 PM
I think you should be fine in a non coductive coolant with a properly insulated wire. I dont know how you would put it in your tubing tho, but make sure the connectors to the inverter and the holes where it enters the loop are sealed.