PDA

View Full Version : \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM Help

The boy 4rm oz
03-11-2007, 05:32 AM
I boot windows and this message comes up, the following file is missing or corrupt\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. It will not boot for my XP Pro disk so I can repair install, it just keeps booting to this screen. How can I fix this problem, please help me.

.Maleficus.
03-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Do you have boot from CD set in your BIOS? If you don't and you have it set for HDD, it will just keep trying to boot from HDD.

SgtM
03-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Do a repair install. Should fix it.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI

EDIT:
Oops.. missed the fact that you said the PC won't boot from the CD. Check and make sure your CD ROM is the first boot device in your BIOS. That should allow you to move forward with the repair.

The boy 4rm oz
03-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Cd drive is set as first boot device. It says press any key to boot from disk and it just goes back to that screen with the corrupt data message.

LiTHiUM0XiD3
03-12-2007, 12:19 AM
ur computer hates u....
lol j/k
first of all... is this a legit XP CD?
second .... have u checked for scratches??
if not... then do so :P

The boy 4rm oz
03-12-2007, 01:42 AM
Well its not my comp, its a mates and no its not a legit cd but it is one of the free ones teachers are allowed to get not a legit cd but a legit liscence.

Drum Thumper
03-12-2007, 03:43 AM
Cd drive is set as first boot device. It says press any key to boot from disk and it just goes back to that screen with the corrupt data message.

Possibly a scratched disk.

Hard to tell without it right in front of me though lol. If you can get your hands on another site license copy of xp and try that it might work.

The boy 4rm oz
03-12-2007, 09:36 AM
It's ok, we managed to fix it. We took the comp bak to my mates place and he was really pissed about it lol so I had a look at his mobo manual. He has one of the older Abit SlI boards and it has got a two digit display on the bottom right hand corner of the mobo that shows boot sequences. It kept getting stuck at 9.9. I think so i checked the list of error messages at the back of the mobo manuel. It said we had to clear CMOS but we already had by removing the battery so we switched the jumper on the mobo fot 30 seconds and then switched it back and tried to boot with the windows disk. IT WORKED (this time) and wanted to completely install windows again so we booted again without the disk and it worked. YAY.

Thanks for all your help, it pointed me in the right direction.