PDA

View Full Version : Memorex 8GB travel drive

TheGreatSatan
03-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Memorex 8GB Travel Drive Review

In search of a new flash drive I found the Memorex 8GB Mega Travel Drive (retail: $120). The drive measures 4cm x 4.5cm x 1cm (Depth x Width x Thickness) and has a lift up USB plug. Next to my 40GB travel drive it looks impressively small.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/879/pic1zt9.jpg

It comes packaged with a small carry case and a short 13cm USB extension cord.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1015/pic2yc1.jpg

I admit having 8GB in such a tiny package equals serious geek status, but it’s just not worth it. Although I do like the amount of space I have in such a tiny device, I experienced some serious aggravations.

First to explain how I tested the drive. I copied 2.49GB of MP3 files from my computer’s hard drive to the Memorex Travel drive which took 14 minutes. Those same MP3’s took only 40 seconds to delete from the travel drive. Then I copied 413 .JPG’s measuring 800x600 each (My entire R2D2 worklog) and that was a short 28 seconds, and then 9 seconds to delete. The last test was copying the entire season of Firefly in M4V format (3.05GB). This is when the drive started acting up. After the first two episodes were copied and the third was in progress, the drive just stopped receiving data. The light stopped blinking and the drive disappeared from “My Computer”. I had to physically unplug and replug the flash drive for the computer to recognize the drive and allow me to copy again. This happened four times during the copying of Firefly! Every time that this happened I got the following error:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1007/pic3ze7.jpg

Since I was the drive was not even close to half full, it didn’t make a whole lot of sense. To make sure the Firefly show wasn’t corrupted, I copied the R2D2 pics again and got the same message as the drive turned off and disappeared from “My Computer”. The only thing I can think of is that the drive gets too hot and shuts off to save data, although the drive never felt hot to the touch. Otherwise I have no clue.

In summary, it’s great to get 8GB within such a small space, but not worth investing in this particular flash drive. Other annoyances include the tiny case that comes with it. I assume that if dropped it’s safer to have the drive in the pouch than to not. However for transportation purposes, I’d avoid the case because of the extra thickness. The pouch does have a belt loop, but no man’s belt would ever fit.

Rating: 2 out of 5

Airbozo
03-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the write up TGS! +rep for the info and the use of your time!

As I was reading I thought maybe when the files were deleted, it was just emptying the fat table and not deleting the files. I am not surprised by the initial write and delete times with MP3's but 14 minutes? wow. I wonder if you format that drive if it will then be able to copy the firefly data or if it is truly a heat issue. Must be some way to tell if the drive did not actually delete the entries from the fat table. (besides a dir command)